2015 Indy Car | Page 54 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I assume the last race of 2016 is around the 1st of August?? :)

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    bad crowds didn't help but I assume Milwaukee was a victim of collateral damage from the Andretti Sports Marketing collapse.

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No question. Bad crowds came from bad racing. During USAC/CART era....the place was packed. People want real racing. Some small teams made a name at Milwaukee. Proved that the little guy could compete with the big teams. That is what made racing so attractive. Not everyone want to see Penske. Some prefer the small teams and drivers they know on a personal level. Gary B and Pancho Carter come to mind. Local favorites bring local fans.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yup, well said.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Which is what the France family wanted all along. Mary Hulman-George and her boneheaded son Tony were hypnotized by the Pied Piper, listened to their advice and crapped all over the best racing series in the US, possibly the world.

You reap what you sow. I hope it's purchased and put down like a horse with a broken leg.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just saw the newly released 2016 Indy Car schedule.

They're moved St. Petersburg up two weeks.

That ain't going to go down to well in Sebring.

BHW

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's the weekend before Sebring.

marketed well this could be a good thing for both to gain an out of town/out of state audience...come to St Pete, hang out at the beach for a few days, go to Sebring Thurs-Sat, fly home Sunday.

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    NOLA didn't last long. Wonder what will become of that track.

I might try to attend RA, Mid-Ohio, or Belle Isle. Gotta see how things go with the family.

9. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Sonoma closes out the season on September 18th...guess they decided it's ok to "compete" with football season for a couple of weeks ;)

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I wonder just how low the tv ratings will go at the point in time? ;)

11. italiangerman

italiangerman Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    The upcoming schedule is better than the one it replaces. Hope Boston actually takes place.....that should have a very good gate ala St. Pete and LB. RA add is fabulous (not sure of the gate and how close the schedule this race is with sports car and vintage events there) and Phoenix should be a much better draw than Fontana has been turning out. No comment about TV ratings......a number of other things need to happen beyond schedule improvement to move that needle. Glad to see they dropped the idea that the series needed to shut down before summer was over. Mexico City, COTA, I suppose they are locked via the Bernie?

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

They should be fine. NOLA was built first and foremost as a private/club track. I don't believe spectator events were ever counted on as being a big part of their business. It's a fun track to drive and an amazing facility from a private use standpoint with a great karting facility, on site race prep shop/dyno, private garages, and nice meeting and corporate event space. It was definitely not built with crowds of spectators in mind, and that showed at the Indy race. In the southeast, Barber is a MUCH nicer and better place to watch a race. They really do a fantastic job there with their Indy weekend.

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I tend to agree with that NOLA assessment, but the real problem was weather. Stage a race during the wettest months (April & May) of the year at a track with no drainage in the middle of a swamp and wait for the mayhem. NOLA should have been scheduled in March or October. Even then it's not a track you can walk all the way around which is really the best part about spectating at a road race.
    The result was unfortunate but almost inevitable.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, am familiar, none the less the run up to Sebring has had little to no competition
    for a good long while now.

It won't be a popular move in Sebring.

But, hey, who am I to say anything, we've got he Miami Beach Concours on the same weekend
    as Sebring, ha! Don't go home Sunday, come to SoBe!

BHW

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Jan-March is "prime time" in Florida, there's always been competition for Sebring on the calendar...other IndyCar races, Gator Nationals, not to mention any other outdoor event that is crammed in to the calendar late spring before the weather gets humid and the bugs get violent :eek:

I don't think it will be an issue for the 12 hours, and could be a plus.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I like NOLA also - fun track. I didn't get to do any karting there, but the facility looked amazing.

It did rain one day which was fun, until it started to flood. Not sure there is a real solution to that given the elevation.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I attended the French Quarter Classic which used No Problem Raceway as their track
    at the time.

It was the same thing. Very limited as to where spectators and photographers could go.

Started venturing out to get some images and started hearing squish-squish under my
    feet and the next thing I knew I was ankle deep in water.

No much room for drainage when a track is built in the middle of the Bayou.

Do we know if Andretti Sports Marketing (or whatever its called) is still operational?
    Seems as though some of the partners broke away and they were going to start their
    own deal.

BHW

19. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    This kills me to say this.......but I agree with Chas. This could be a big help for Sebring. Watching the boredom that is Indy Car could mean fans go to Sebring and see a much more diverse field with greater competition. Upon seeing such a display, it could help sports car's market appeal. Lots of neat stuff and ground level access to teams, drivers, etc could just bring the "causal" fan into a "real" fan of endurance racing.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OMG Turbo and I agree on something!!!! Repent now, the end is near!!!!!

:D

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this is funny :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIx01hI8HE[/ame]

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    God save us all !!!! :D

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #1349 BartonWorkman, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay, so gotta admit, I don't get this whole aero kit thing.

Originally, I thought this was intended to streamline the IR12s to make them look cooler.
    Nothing could have been further from reality though. These aero kits made the cars look
    like Spaceman Spiff's dream of what a racing car should look like (minus the gun and rocket
    turrets).

Now, Indy Car is granting Honda the right to make their cars even uglier and Chevrolet has
    got their nose out of joint about it.

It seems as though this aero kit debacle has backfired in so many ways that only Indy
    Car would double down on them. Seems a good way to lose a manufacturer and get back
    to those great days single manufacturer spec racing once again.

Time to hit the reset button.

Chevrolet 'disappointed' by Honda's IndyCar development concessions - IndyCar news - AUTOSPORT.com

BHW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Seems that the current level of focus in Indy Car is whining. Whine about this, whine about that......what a bunch of wimps. As for hitting the "reset button"? How many times can you hit it and expect the thing to work again? It's time to admit that it is a major league failure and simply start over all together. Chevy is right, they did a better job. Honda needs to grow up and either step it up or get out!!!

Wonder if the sport can re-visit Formula Atlantic? One engine, one chassis, one gearbox and one tire should really make for even more exciting boredom.