Non-metric wheels for 512BBis | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Non-metric wheels for 512BBis

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by speer, Mar 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Update and Correction - per Lauren Bryant, SR. ECO Import Coordinator at FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage:
    Attached please find documents regarding the above-referenced tracking number. Before we can clear this shipment through Customs, we will need a completed HS7 form. Please fill in where it says, Description of Merchandise, please check box 2A Name of Importer, Importer’s Address, etc. ​

This follows what she told me on the phone this afternoon.

There should also be a copy of the Invoice emailed from FedEx, to be completed with the Tax # and "Consignee" signature (that's us). This may be only for those of us who haven't an established import account with FedEx.

Anyone else's wheels moving along the paperwork trail?

2. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #152 willrace, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, that was quick - One day after crossing the "i"s and dotting the "t"s in just the right way ;) and they're on the door. ONE DAY. I think they've just been riding around in the truck waiting for the A-OK. :D

Look and feel great. FedEx looks to have taken good care with them. Only blemish I saw (admittedly needed better light) was on a 7.5", which looks/feels as if something was laid on the face of the outermost part of the rim, while the paint was still wet.
    Now, if only the rest of the car was ready. <sigh>
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

wow...they are real!!! very nice looking!!

4. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #154 willrace, Aug 27, 2015
    Yep - Very nicely done. The feel is solid, with a nice, upper-pitch "bell'" sound suggesting higher density in the casting, rather than the dull "thunk" of cheap wheels when you tap them hard with your fingertip. The paint sheen just accentuates the lines. Good job, Jonathan.

Looking at the previously mentioned blemish in better light this morning, it looks like it was really dropped onto a hard surface during packing, and no such damage to/through the box. No bend or deformation, but something to talk to Jonathan about.

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Did you purchase six of them?

6. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Yep - A full set and a spare of each size.

I've learned the "fun" way about manufacturers/suppliers/supplies going away.

Regarding that chip, Jonathan responded pretty quickly yesterday. Trying to figure out the best option to handle this without breaking the bank. He's offered to replace it, but shipping the chipped one back would be cost-redonkulus.
    Another is to discount this one (via refund), possibly to cover refinishing it, but what a potential PITA.
    Ideas?

Quite impressed he responded proactively - bodes well for other buyers.

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That's a smart move!

8. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    There are probably 3 or 4 buyers -- including me -- pretty much waiting to see "before and after" pictures on your car and then will write a check. That plus the additional customs forms intel (thanks!) de-risks the whole thing to a great degree.

9. porschecarl

porschecarl Rookie

Oct 24, 2013
    Manhattan Beach
    Full Name:
    carl tofflemire
    Be ware Fchatters after watching and waiting for years I placed my wheel order with Jonathan / Group 4 who was always chatty and quick with a response. I paid in full for my set with the "early bird" discount on May 28th. By August 28th with no wheels I,d had enough and kindly asked Jonathan to credit my Visa card. To date he has failed to respond to half a dozen emails demanding a response and has terminated all update mailings that he was so consistent with in the past. I have had to dispute the charges with Visa but as so much time has passed I may be out of luck. What is true today I have no wheels and am out $3300. after paying in full over 4 months ago. If I were you I would find another means of payment like COD before ever doing business with Group 4. Send me an email if you have any questions.

Carl

10. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Carl, Jonathan has been oddly absent in responding to me, also, and I just checked the Group 4 FB page, and his updates stopped about the same time. I'm starting to wonder if something may have happened to him, such as an accident.
    Just sent him an email - I'll post if I get a response, and preferably, an explanation.

11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That's not good! Please keep us posted. Did anyone else get a set of wheels delivered, or was it just willrace?

12. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Update: Jonathan responded in his usual timely manner. He's been having some email issues, including the response that I was expecting a couple of weeks ago.

Don't count him out yet.

13. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Sigh... I was worried about this sort of thing.

14. porschecarl

porschecarl Rookie

Oct 24, 2013
    Manhattan Beach
    Full Name:
    carl tofflemire
    Out of nowhere Jonathan has reappeared apologizing for things being "hectic" and "wheels not being the priority"

I have already been credited by Visa and consider the matter closed. This however should be a good lesson for us all on how to transact your business with online / foreign vendors.

Let the buyer be ware.

ct

15. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    porschecarl: MANY thanks for the update on this. Sorry to hear your transaction executed so poorly.

Is there any next step with Group 4 here? Or are they yet another lint ball in the dust bin of BBI replacement wheel solutions? Anyone have any other positive reviews/indications?

16. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Been an interesting few days for me, so finally getting back to this. Looks like it's become "interesting" here, too.

My experience with Jonathan has been fine so far, even considering the paint chip issue. Easy to work with, shipped quickly, and unless there's something hidden in their construction, looks and feels like a good product. He shipped them quickly once they were in-hand, and the biggest delay was clearing US Customs.

He's been on it, admittedly having a communication issue that I suspect also affected his communication with Carl at the same time. Our solution seems to be worked-out - Jonathan is shaving some touch-up bottles made-up when the next batch is painted, which I've suggested be included with orders (whether he does so is up to him, but I wouldn't be surprised, given the higher-spec product expectations). If the result isn't satisfactory, I still have the offer to trade that one for another, though I'll try not to impose such an expense on Jonathan.

If you've never dealt with such boutique cottage-industry suppliers, this is actually very good. Considering the "joys" of dealing with other Ferrari parts suppliers (or Reynard, Van Diemen, etc.!!), I'm pretty happy. I WOULD like to hear from someone else here who ordered from Jonathan/Group 4, whether the Boxer wheels, or any of his other wheel options. They mostly seem to fall under that niche/boutique group that isn't available at Tire Rack, for cars we don't get to see often.

I think that there might be something more to this story.... ;)

17. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    #167 speer, Oct 15, 2015
    From my standpoint, purchase from Group 4 of a set of wheels plus two extras was straightforward and seamless. The wheels look fine but I will have to wait to put them on the car until it returns from a belt service. In the meantime, there have been requests from some folks for pictures of the wheels after being fitted to a car. Following are a series of pictures of the Group 4 wheels as installed.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Looks great. Thanks for the pictures. Hope this all works out. I had several email conversations with Jonathan and felt comfortable buying from him.

As I'm on a Boxer budget, I went for the Newman diff upgrade, which arrived yesterday and was hoping to do these next fall.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Dave hope you can find someone to put it in!

The wheels look great! I was sceptical before seeing them on a car but I would buy a set in a heartbeat if I had an injected boxer and mothball the TRX set

The wheels are a home run in my opinion.

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nice car, and nice wheels. but it looks like they need to be pushed out a bit further. spacers maybe.

21. ferraripete

thought the same thing. I was hoping for 10" width. looks like the boxer needs more meat on the rear.

22. ferraripete

overall I agree with paul and ross...wheels look lovely!!!!

23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #173 ross, Oct 16, 2015
    here is a pic of mine with the image wheels that i have reported on several times over the last years. the pic does not show as well as the black one, but you can see how the rims are further towards the fender edges.

24. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I don't see much, if any, difference. I think it's the pictures. The Group 4 rear wheel is slightly wider than the stock BBi rim and I never feel the stock tires look like they should be further out in the wheelwell.

Regardless, hope the situation works out and they are available when I want them.

25. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the rims on my car are "17, 10" and 8" (maybe 8.5)
    what size on the black car?