F40 bodied F355 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F40 bodied F355

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by PAUL500, Dec 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fmaniac

fmaniac Karting

Jun 20, 2008
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Jeff H.
    Very interesting thread. The v12 with a 355 box really sounds interesting to me. If you were to go with a 355 gearbox with a v12 how much power/low end torque could that gearbox handle. I know you are going for as modern as possible v12 but a hot rodded 400 v12 breathing through carbs could be much cheaper and a whole lot of fun. A kind of retro f40, plus it would be easier to fit in that tight chassis. The sound it would make would be to die for too.

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #102 PAUL500, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    The transverse 355 6 speed manual is a tough old box, and readily available if a replacement is required, using it means everything lines up powertrain wise perfectly. The installation of a v12 will require the cross beam below the fuel tank being opened up and as such additional bracing incorporated to re stiffen that region but as the chassis is bare anyway, not a major issue. The first row of cylinders will then be in the actual cabin area just like an F40!

There is a perfect FF engine available here in the UK at the moment which is tempting.

D day is getting closer and closer, mind you I have been saying that for a couple of years now!

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #103 PAUL500, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    this one as the v12 will be too long, and the fuel tank will then also need to be split into a 2 tank system. My aim is for everything to be post f40 era so a modern engine is essential, yes a v12 on carbs will sound lovely but not right for this project.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dr.Faris

Dr.Faris Karting

Jul 5, 2013
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Faris S Almasari
    Great Peoject ,. Cant wait to see the final result , best of luck

5. fmaniac

fmaniac Karting

Jun 20, 2008
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Jeff H.
    I must admit, a f355 box being driven reliably by an FF v12 blows my mind and with your endorsement that it would hold up, I realize it is an excellent choice. I have always loved the design of that box. I have always felt it facilitated a very low center of gravity for the drivetrain as well. Another advantage it would provide. Definitly keep us updated.

6. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    bump. almost the end of Feb now..

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #107 PAUL500, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    I promise I will update as soon as there is anything worth reading about, its still waiting its turn in the line up at present. House is looking good though which is my priority for now, plan to get it on the market by the end of March 2015 :)

I will probably start a new thread once the wheels are in motion again with the f project as this ones a bit drawn out now with no real content as such.

8. nt6d

nt6d Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the update, Paul.
    No pressure.... Good luck with your house. :)

9. Dom9

Dom9 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Oxshott, UK
    Full Name:
    Dom
    #109 Dom9, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks Dom, now that would be ideal, slightly over my budget though :)

Decided to further extend the house before selling, so yet more delays whilst thats completed.

I think realistically this car project will stay on ice now until the winter at the earliest. Frustrating but then again there is no real deadline, it was only going to be for fun when we have the time.

11. Delta_Lima

Delta_Lima Karting

Aug 30, 2014
    Hoorn, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Daan
    Awesome project! Would love to start a project like this, like many of us I guess!
    Please keep us updated and post a lot of pictures!

12. Delta_Lima

Delta_Lima Karting

Aug 30, 2014
    Hoorn, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Daan
    Awesome project! Would love to start a project like this, like many of us I guess!
    Please keep us updated and post a lot of pictures!

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks, I have asked for the mods to delete this thread (looks like they ignored that!) as its got a bit leggy with all my other distractions and dragged on way too long, I will start a fresh one when the projects back up and running properly :)

14. swolbynos

swolbynos Rookie

Feb 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Paul/Jeremy,

Could either of you gentlemen pass on the contact information for the F40 panels? I am very interested in starting a similar project of my own, but am finding it extremely difficult to get any information of the body panels.

I also look forward to hearing more about your project.

15. Dom9

Dom9 Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Oxshott, UK
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Paul - Please put a link in here as I'll then get an email reminder!

Don't want to miss it and don't check in here regularly!

16. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Tiny update. House completed and it went on the market a few days ago at last! 3 viewings already so fingers crossed.

I have spent the last couple of days clearing out my workshop, setting up some work benches and moved the rolling chassis into a suitable position. Lost a day or so as the cambelt on my workhorse ford focus decided to then strip its teeth, so head removed and 8 bent valves found and no doubt a damaged bottom end, so after 11 faithful years the old girl is off to be turned into baked bean tins and I need to find another runaround.

I am planning on returning to my career as a quantity surveyor in the short term, so whilst I seek out a suitable role over the next month I intend to have a play around working out various bits and bobs regarding the conversion, taking measures etc etc, just baseline stuff really.

Once the house is sold the project will have to go back into storage until I sort my next house project/suitable workshop so there won't be any major updates, but it is great fun at the moment just tinkering around again with it.

Initially I plan to construct a mock up integral roll cage that will allow the F40 panels to be attached to it as per an original car. That way I can work out the interaction between 355 bare chassis and f40 body shape, I will have to wait a few weeks for the required mock up panels to arrive, so if this gets finalised before going back into storage then the rolling chassis can go off to the roll cage company to convert the mock up version into a fully fabricated chassis. Decisions regarding motor and subsequent modification to accept whatever I find can be done at a later date. Typically all the lovely, virtually new v12 ferrari engines that languished on UK ebay for months on end have all now sold and nothing fresh has appeared. Pretty much decided I want a modern v12 in the car now rather than a v8 (which I would have to turbo charge to get to the power levels I want which is way too much hassle when a v12 can supply the ponies in stock format, and the amazing sound would be an added bonus).

No photos really as nothing has changed, but once the mocked up cage is in and finished I will post some up before it heads off.

Looking back we were lucky to purchase the key components when we did, as suitable 355 donors and F40 parts have doubled in price since then, and I doubt the project would have been financially viable now.

17. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Starting to line up the f40 panels onto the 355 chassis and it is amazing how close some of the dimensions are, it is becoming clearly evident that the basic measurements from the F40 were used when laying out the chassis of the 348/355 which makes sense as it was the next mid engined car Ferrari produced after the F40.

The F40 front windscreen sits nicely in the bottom gutter of the 355 following exactly the same indented line, although it then tapers in quite a bit as it reaches the roof line, not a problem as the 355 roof is long gone!

The inner tubs of the front wheel well of the 355 follow the same curve, and in the same placing as those built into the F40 LM front clam, and the kevlar door aperture covers for the F40 built in roll cage sit exactly into the space where the 355 door normally sits.

Even the cut out in the F40 dash panel for the f40 steering column lines up perfectly with the 355 steering column!

No photos sorry as its quite cramped in the workspace where the chassis is currently sat, but things are progressing at last, just waiting for someone to throw a spanner in the works now I am finally back on it!

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #118 PAUL500, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh my!! It is coming along!

Subscribed!

20. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Should I book my flight already?

21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Ha Steve, you are more than welcome :) I owe you a good meal and a tour of my city.

Found yourself a nice donor? how is the Alfa Ferrari coming along?

22. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Donors r not an issue, the issue is to finish your house ��. What r u building, the White House? Come on, finish that thing up so we can get on with our lives��

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The house is all done Steve, and up for sale :) having a play with this project now for a couple of months and loving it!

If you stumble across a nice 599 or FF motor let me know ;-)

24. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Will do, 550/575 won't work? Better priced

25. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name: