Just joined iracing | FerrariChat

Just joined iracing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by speedy_sam, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Boy this is fun! I joined up during the New years break and just got myself out of the rookie league into the D league.

I never liked online racing with other games/series so ended up doing mostly time trials/practice/AI races. Racing against other folks is fun. Of course I had more than my share of bonehead manoeuvres taking me out on iRacing.

I love the MX5 cup car - it is good fun to drive in the corners.

2. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Guess I am the only one using iracing :)

I moved up to A class rating on safety but my irating sucks big time. I am not getting enough time to practice.

This is still the most fun racing that I am having since GP legends back in the day.

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I'm on it too, but its nice out so I don't find myself sitting in the basement playing anymore. I'll get back on when its cold out

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Is it still up ?
    what computer you need for iracing

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Small Form Factor Gaming Desktop - Eclipse by Digital Storm PC

The base on at $1500 will be more than fine. Would be cheaper to self build but can't be bothered to list parts ;).

Then leaves it up to you if you want a dedicated monitor for it or connect it to your TV.

I also highly recommend a wheel (logitec G29 is the G27 replacement)
    Logitech G G29 Driving Force game steering wheel

I currently have the G27 (had the old G25 too) which are great. I really want a fanatec though, but for wheelbase + wheel + pedals + shifter you're spending over 1300 which is just not worth it for me right now.

And a playseat is quite nice:

PLAYSEAT S/V-M

7. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Sorry Bas but I'm going to have to put some insight into this. G27 is what I started with. Great for Gran Turismo, but not good enough.

I spent the stupid money on the fanatec wheel and shifter setup, i had the elite pedals but i upgraded to a full custom HPP unit which was absurdly priced and i had to wait 7 months to get it. The fanatec i have is the Clubsport V1 with the Formula Wheel and the feedback can wrist breaking. Its absolutely fantastic compared to anything else minus going the full on 2500$ wheel setups.

I have a used CSR i could sell you. Even that was miles above the G27 and that wheel setup was 199 i believe new.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How much was your fanatic gear though? Admittedly I've only really looked at the top rate stuff from them and thats very highly priced.

The g27 is definitely good stuff imo, well above the budget brands. I'm far from a logitec fanboy, as I really want the fanatic stuff bit the bits I looked at where in a completely different league price wise

9. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    The First CSR elite I bought was the Forza CSR Elite so I could use it with my 360 that was 249$ I believe? I upgraded soon after when I get really into iRacing's and their physics.
    I bought the Clubsport on ebay for 350$. It is version 1 without the quick release setup but it works with the Formula wheel (which was 149$)
    I bought the CSR Elite pedals from Fanatec for 149$
    I bought the Clubsport shifter for 149$.

The G27 was around 300$ I believe so it wasn't too much more.

PHT Slant 3 Pedal - HPP Simulation

You want the load cell setup, its much more accurate and sensitive

I just got these pedals the other but I haven't hooked it up yet. Its still warm here so I'm trying to enjoy all the weather I can before it snows. Then i'll go back to being an iRacing regular.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With 2nd hand wheel base you're already at double the price of a G27. It's quite a bit different...

That said, if one is willing to spend the cash better do it right. No question Fanatec is better stuff.
    :eek: that's damn good looking...

11. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    You can also mod the g27 pedals to be a load cell. Look it up. The forza wheel was a 100$ more than the g27 and it was loads better. That's the regular wheel not the base

And to be honest I was quicker with the g27 haha

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We installed the GT Eye progressive brake spring (The Must Have Logitech Racing Wheel Upgrade / GTEYE) in the G27 and it improves brake feel considerably. The G27 is pretty good for the price, but it's restrictive on platform outside the PC. G27 works for PS3 but not PS4, G29 will work for PS4, not PS3. These restrictions are not just a matter of cost, but if you have one cockpit you can't just change wheels for each game console. I think (not positive) Fanatec works on everything.

Is iRacing still the best platform for serious virtual racing or will Project Cars or something else supersede it?

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    The upgrades they just did had a few glitches but now they have progressive track degradation with marbles and did a lot of updates for cheating. It took me an hour to download all the updates. Another few weeks I'll be a serious iracer until winter ends

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The Fanatec website makes my head explode when I try to figure out what I need to order. For $800 or so, what would be the best setup for pedals and a wheel?

Am I correct to assume it's better to go for the Thrustmaster gated shifter over the Fanatec shifter?

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good stuff.

I don't have much of a problem with the clutch (only use it to get away really anyhow) and throttle on the G27; The brake in non ABS cars is tough to get used to no doubt. Will get the brake spring definitely!

iRacing has a driver rating system in place, which I wish other sims would include. I haven't touched Project Cars in about a month again; I've had the good battle here and there but have gone off the game with so many mistakes in it still. Haven't played patch 4.0 mind you.

Assetto Corsa is very good as well, but not many cars on a whole. Find a decent server and most racers are serious, especially servers with no ABS/TC, as it's too difficult for the first corner heroes. The other day I had a couple of 10 lap races on Zandvoort and raced with 4 other guys for position constantly. Great fun.
    I'm very tempted to buy iRacing soon, just need to convince my best mate to play racing games more, he plays world of warcraft :)eek:) to often right now.

16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We only have the brake spring (that was all they offered when we first ordered it). A lot of people replace the original brake spring with the GT Eye and then move that original brake spring to the clutch. That will make the clutch stiffer, which most (but not all) seem to prefer.

17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'm looking to get into this as well. Lots of good info here but I agree that the wheel choices are very confusing.

Heck, at some of these prices you can get a kart and race in reality.

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'm on as well. Hyper Stumulator cockpit, Fanatec Club Sport BMW wheel, HPP pedals, triple 27" monitors.....

19. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    i've been doing some test runs with the HPP pedals....man are they effin awesome. I can't believe the feel and the snap of the clutch too. I'm running both oranges on the brakes, i like to have some play.

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Buying the kart is just the "cover" charge :) Rebuilding engines frequently, new tires every race, etc -- it gets expensive fast (time and money-wise).

Virtual cars can never match the visceral experience of the real thing, but there are a some important advantages to virtual (besides cost). The number one advantage in my book is that it is a car equalizer -- you really know where you stand as a driver because all the cars are equal. There is nothing less constructive than to not know whether you won or lost due to an equipment advantage or disadvantage. In virtual, it's always the driver (or car setup -- which is a black art unto itself -- but that is in your complete control also). Virtual also gives you much better competition because you are competing across the globe (rather than across a community or region).

21. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Virtual is good for learning tracks also. However you get cheaters and people that run 2 seconds faster than the pros quickest laps which becomes comical. I find I'm 2 seconds slower than most of the pros track records

22. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Are you saying it's possible to hack iRacing or are people cutting the course to set those times?

In GT5, it used to be possible to hack cars to raise the horsepower to insane levels without raising the PP rating, but I think they finally fixed that in GT6.

Do you know if the higher end Fanatac Clubsport V3 pedals are any good? (ClubSport Pedals V3 USA - ClubSport)

23. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    #23 IamRobG, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Hacking or some sort of cheating. The new update has more anti-cheat it says. You can't cut the course you get a time penalty that you have to slow down for or your black flagged and all the cars are spec. You can play with settings but not power.

The fanatec pedals you see look the same as the V2 just with fancier colors.

CSR Elite Pedals US - CSR

I had those and they were better than the Logitech and a pretty good value. I had a problem with my load cell for about 6 weeks until I had to send it back to Fanatec in CA to get repaired and got them back about 2 weeks later.

Edit-I don't know if you signed up to iRacing yet, but read this page and it'll make your head spin.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1843179.page

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, this thread has once again piqued my interest in giving this a go. I was never a "gamer" - spent too much time in front of the things already, but everything I've read says this thing is good. So I started poking around, and like others have mentioned, I'm now as confused as ever! :eek:

1. According to the iRacing site, it will run on any "reasonably" modern Mac.
    Specs; 2.3 GHZ Intel i7. 8GB ram. Intel HD graphics 4000 1GB. 1TB free on the SSD.

Anyone running it on a Mac? Comments?

2. I assume the wheels/pedals use USB ports? (One for each?) As an (unfortunately ex :( ) owner of an F1 'boxed car, I'm super comfy with the F1 paddles on the wheel; Should I nevertheless get the "shifter"?

However, neither Logitech not Fanatec specifically mention Mac support beyond a tech note at Logitech that says a kernel patch may be required for force feedback to work - Which is "promising", but hardly super confidence inspiring!

3. Any other "highly recommended" wheels/pedals I should look at without breaking the bank? [Seems I'm looking at between $500 & $1,000 for "everything"?]

4. How do you get it to drive 3 monitors? I can easily do 2 on the Mac, but I'm not sure how that'll work? Could maybe put a TV in the middle of the 2 monitors, but I'm stuck on connecting all that stuff!

5. The (somewhat) recommended G29 appears to be PS3/4 only. The more expensive G920 supports PC's..... Actually, poking more, it appears they both support PC's & need powered USB ports; I've got those in abundance.

6. Should I get a seat? This one doesn't look bad and is easily hideable;

Playseat® Challenge PlayseatStore - For all your racing needs -

Comments?

5. Any comments, "gotcha's" or other experiences very welcome, TIA.

Cheers,
    Ian

25. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    [TFH in place]

Not quite sure how I got onto their mailing list, but I did...... Is it coincidence that after I've been poking at their site and looking at pedals etc I just this very moment received an invitation to join for 50% off? Valid thru 11/30 btw.

[/TFH] ;)

Cheers,
    Ian