18775 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GreggG, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #51 samsaprunoff, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

I have not been posting too much, as I have been quite overwhelmed for the last several months (years)... That being said, there has been some progress on 18775... My interior has been finished for a while now, but I have not had a chance to collect all the pieces from the Upholsterer. I have to say, everything looks fantastic and I will post some pics of the interior pieces shortly. Now, that I am preparing for reassembly... I am looking at the the little bits and pieces of the interior that are still needing some attention. Namely the front seat-back grills and door panel speaker grills. Both of these grills are made from plastic and are warped, cracked, and/or broken because of age and heat. The door panel speaker grills are OK and potentially usable, but the seat back grills are not. As shown in my previous post the outer rings of the grills are simply too far gone to repair or even to good enough to make a mold from. As a consequence I have been looking for some good originals for months, but alas I came up empty. So, I am thinking that I will simply mill some replacements out of aluminum, black anodize them, and thread 4 mounting posts. They will look very close to the originals except that they will be made from Aluminum (the originals are plastic... the Aluminum ones will last much longer and be much more durable), and that I may not mill the concave detail on the surface (see attached 3D drawing as the worst case). If I do move forward on making these outer grill rings would there be any interest in others wishing some as well? I ask, as if I can get the volume higher the per unit cost will be less. Just doing some rough calculations I think that I could offer these grill rings (you would reuse the metal grill part of your originals) for about $50-$60 US each ($200 to $240 US for a set of 4)... perhaps cheaper if there was enough interest. So, would any of you be interested?

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Wow Sam, impressive thread and work... I hadn't seen it before, but, as others have said, thanks for documenting and sharing the progress!

I can't wait to see how the progress continues.

Cheers!

Ruben

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ruben,

Thanks so much! Although so far I mostly just took stuff apart... Hopefully I will remember how it all goes back together :)

My goal is to do a bunch of stuff over Winter and have the car ready to go for next Spring! well... that is the plan anyway!

Cheers,

Sam

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #54 samsaprunoff, Sep 8, 2015
    Good day All,

Here are some pics of my freshly interior pieces... they are really, really nice. It is amazing how much the original leather color faded do to the sun and the heat... Also, you will notice that the edges of the rear arm rests side panels look unfinished... well they are unfinished, as Ferrari used the edges to wrap around the body seams and then covered this "wrap" with rubbered edging... This will all make sense when I install and take pictures of them.

As for the dash pieces... wow... The "Mousehair" from Henk is really incredible and is really what one must use.

Lastly, I really lucked out on the sail panels. The originals were so dry and brittle that they cracked/tore upon removal. Luckily we were able to find an exact match for the vinyl and color used for the sail panels... and... I was also able to find an exact paint color match that I used on the side vents. Interestingly the headliner and its foam did not suffer from any of the same heat effects, as the sail panels... This is also extremely lucky, as finding a headliner that matches the seamed pattern would have been a nightmare. In fact I spent a fair amount of thinking of how I could recreate it if I needed to...fortunately...very fortunately I did not have to.

The front seats and door panels are ready... and have been for some time...Sometime this week or next I will collect them and provide pictures, as these look fantastic as well.

For those that are curious as to how much material was used... I purchased 7 full leather hides and 5.5 Metres of the "Mousehair". When I pick up the remainder, I will find out how much material was left, but my feeling there was not a lot.

All in all the interior is really taking shape... now I just need to start putting all the pieces where they belong!

Cheers,

Sam

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Really impressive quality work. Brett sent mine the Diamond near Toronto. I am very happy. Only front seats needed. And all mouse hair. Both sun visors. I am making new hood pads if you need one $1,000. The 400 pads came out perfect. Now I need my motor fixed.

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

I will pass along the kudos to my Buddy's upholstery shop! They really do some awesome work.

On a side note to those that may be interested... Luppi in Italy could have redone the interior, but I would have had to package and send all the pieces to them. They quoted 12000 Euro ($13373 USD) + shipping, etc for all the leather items. They forgot to quote the dash, side panels, etc (these are done in Mousehair) and since I had concerns about shipping the items to and from Italy I did not ask for a quote on the Mousehiar items...Speaking of which... the the Mousehair costs 162.5 Euro per metre... and with shipping the Mousehair material (5.5 Metres) cost me just under 1100 Euro ($1225 USD) + importation fees.

Thank you Mitch about the info about the Hood pad! Sadly, I already acquired all the material to make my own and have started making mine already. If it does not turn out to my liking I will ensure to contact you.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Did you see my post?

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

Indeed I did. However, my visor clips are in excellent condition...surprisingly, and so I will not be needing any. I say this now and probably in a few months I will break one :( and then need some then...

Cheers,

Sam

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #59 samsaprunoff, Sep 19, 2015
    Good day All,

Well... I had some time today for 18775 and was going over my interior details and revisited my Door speaker grills... I originally thought I could reuse the, but looking at them today I think not. They are not broken, but they sure are warped. I have been looking for new ones, but so far no luck... So today I went back to the CAD software and an hour or so later this is what I came up with (the backside has 4 recessed holes that will allow me to fit the mounting posts). The plan is to CNC these out of Aluminum and then paint or powder coat them to the correct finish. They should look very, very close to the originals.. except these will last a lot longer than the cheapie plastic ones. Someday, should I have the time, I could use these CNC ones as a mold should I wish to make them out of plastic like the originals.

Cheers,

Sam

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Would it be possible the heat and change the plastic to the shape it was?

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

Anything is possible and in fact I was gong to try a few techniques to see how they would fare. That being said, I thought it best to take all my measurements and pictures before I try anything... hence the reason of CAD'ing up the item first, as if I really mess it up, I can still make a replacement :)

Cheers,

Sam

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    OttoB did make his grills and speaker cover. vent they really look great.

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

Indeed, I remember seeing this. However I think the vents/grills were for speakers for the rear deck... but I will have to check. In my case I want a look as close to original as possible.

Thanks again for the reminder about OttoB's Artisan Fabricator!

Cheers,

Sam

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #64 samsaprunoff, Oct 27, 2015
    Good day All,

Not really a progress update... but more of a "look what I picked up today"... well on Sunday...

I was doing some work at my buddy's upholstery shop on Sunday and decided to take home the remainder of the pieces they did on 18775. For a few months now the pieces were done, but for one reason or another I just did not have the time to collect them... well last Sunday I did and they turned out great. Here are the last pieces for my interior. The leather color just looks fantastic and is supposed to be the match for the originally Connolly hides that came with the car. Against the dark blue the whole ensemble looks just "right"... those Italians sure know how to match colors :)

As for the leather... I bought my leather from World Upholstery, as it was stated that they matched the grain and the original Connolly colors. The hides were absolutely flawless with virtually zero defects on all seven hides. Yes... seven hides is what it took to redo the complete interior. What was left was simply a hand full of scraps. If the hides were blemished, then additional hides would be needed.

My buddy commented that the leather quality was good, but not the best. He was impressed with the overall hide price of $550, as he thought this was very reasonable and was equally impressed with the lack of blemishes. We chatted a bit about better quality leather, but the issue for me was two fold. First was to find a replacement that would be close to grain and color of the original. The second was if super high quality and soft leather was used for a car seat that it would wear quickly and scratch very easily. So, I made the decision to go with world's leather. Now that I have the pieces done, I am quite pleased with my decision. My buddy did say that the leather was not as easy to work with as other vendor's hides... and so it was a bit of challenge to stretch and curve the leather in all the interesting contours that Ferrari designed. Indeed, there are a few places where one could see where they struggled, but one must remember that this is all done by hand and not by machine and not every base-surface is perfect. As I said, I am quite pleased with the results... but now the problem is should I now repaint the car before reinstalling this nice new interior... I am leaning to yes and so I am checking to see who I can use locally to do some nice paintwork... not concours... but something very nice and presentable.

Anyway, below are the pics!

Cheers,

Sam

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    like admiring a freshly bathe baby. soft, virgin, and smell so clean

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

Very aptly stated! Indeed, there is a certain purity of them when they are new... there is no question that I will be somewhat scared to sit on the seats... I can see it now where I will be checking out the occupant's trouser's for rivets and the like...

Cheers,

Sam

17. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dear M Massini

Is that the same thing for 18295 and 18469 ?
    What was the original combo of the two cars ?

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #68 samsaprunoff, Mar 10, 2016
    Good day All,

Just checking to see if anyone would be interested in the seat back trim rings and the door speaker grills milled out of Aluminum? I ask, as I designed up both of these items and gave the designs to my machine shop a while back. They finally caught themselves up and migrated my designs to their software. Anyway, would anyone be interested in either or both of these items? As I said they would be milled out of Aluminum and so technically they would not be "original" but would look like they were... and would be a lot more durable and heat resistant. I am still unsure of the finishing (painted, Anodized, or powder coated), as I have to see what I like best. My thought here is the supply the items "raw" so that the recipient can finish them as they see fit. I do not yet have a firm price on this, but estimate above would be close.

As I said earlier...if anyone is interested, let me know, as this may be the only run I will be doing.

Cheers,

Sam

19. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi Sam,

The speaker grills sure look nice. Are they by any chance the same as the ones on 400 ?

Arvid

EDIT : I see now they are not. Mine has holes at each corner. Strange as the part nr. also apply the GT4 2+2

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I could use a pair of door grills Sam

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

Hmmm... I do not know that is. It is possible that the grill dimensions are the same, but the mounting posts are in different locations? The plan is to drill and tap the holes on the back side of the drill to accommodate the retention posts. The posts are plastic, but with the aluminum ones they will be a threaded rod. So, instead of using a push-nut like the original, one can use a nylock nut with a washer to allow for removal if needed.

Can you provide me with the dimensions of your grill and perhaps a few pictures? If they are the same, one could simply drill holes in the corners and finish them like the originals (i.e. chamfer, etc). I say this, as I have not seen a 400 speaker grill up close.

Cheers,

Sam

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Sounds good. As I mentioned to Arvid, can you check the dimensions of your grill and perhaps provide a few pics? I ask, as if they are different then it may be a no-go for you 400 brethen...

Cheers,

Sam

23. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #73 Arvid, Mar 11, 2016
    Sam, I would check if I could. The car is not here at the moment.

The present part nr. for grill is 253-30-628-17 and earlier 253-30-628-10. This part corresponds to GT4 2+2/GTC4/400/412. Part 39 on diagram shows holes at each corner as I know mine has. Maybe the earliest version did not ?

Arvid

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Arvid,

Understood. In 18775's case it is one of the later 365's... If anything I would imagine that it would use grills similar or the same as used on the early 400's? Although with Ferrari, you just never know what part you will get with your car :) ... I suspect Paul and perhaps a few others will post a few pictures in order to see the differences.
    Cheers,

Sam

25. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #75 Part Time, Mar 11, 2016