365 motor assy complete with transmission | Page 5 | FerrariChat

365 motor assy complete with transmission

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Sep 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Ah, ok, on that note I think i'll rest my case...afterall, how can I argue with logic like that ?

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Never get into a pissing contest with a skunk

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I think the thread title says it all. This is "assy". As in, "like ass". In fact, that's my new word......assy.

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    After reading, then scanning, then just skipping the rest of brett's flailing around, I've got to address brett's holding fast to the notion that Mitch was initially happy with what he received.

After months of anticipation, the "IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!" euphoria is strong enough to overcome lots of observations you make in the first few days so that all but the most glaring issues are mentally dismissed. This is especially true in the case of something as complex as a car (LOTS of things to notice and/or miss) you've been anticipating for months.
    It's part of our mental self-protection response.

Once you think reality settles in, it still really hasn't - A healthy bit of self-delusion takes over, telling you that it's really not what it looks like, and that you couldn't have been screwed this blatantly, so badly, by such misrepresentation. You truly want to believe that what's there, before your eyes is just a mistake, and feed the delusion, to the benefit of the con artist. Think a little along the lines of "Stockholm Syndrome", too.
    This part of the self-protection response is also part of the con, and is counted upon by the predator. In a $2 street hustler's, or county fair, game of "Three-Card Monty", it's what makes you giggle, even as you know you were had, right before your eyes. He even "GAVE" you a slow freebie that you won, before paying the money, so he must be a good guy!!

It's difficult, and painful, to admit that someone knowingly does significant-dollar stuff like this, and did it to you. It absolutely does take a psychological toll on the mark. Coming to grips ain't easy, nor pleasant, but exposing bad shops/people is very cathartic.(something I tried to get across to everyone who contacted me with similar stories of getting screwed by brett). You don't reach this point until reality really has set in.

Remember - I have fairly recent, documented experience with this little dance, and the more I think about it now, the more I'm remembering, I just got a little laugh about how brett blamed the SHIPPERS for the condition of the car under the new paint, as if they had taken the time to strip it, then damage, chip, crack, etc prior to repainting it and reinstalling the trim so badly (this is the abbreviated list), during the drive down.
    Good times...Good times!!!!
    At one time, even I thought that my car sounded good, with a great WOT roar when the widows were down due to not having the AC set-up yet. It wasn't until it was cool enough to drive it with the windows up that I found that it was unbearably loud, and correspondingly undignified for the car it is. Anything off-idle made a clapped-out ricer with a loose fart-can exhaust seem demure.

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I can't remember how many times the same thing was done, and of course billed, in the invoices our fellow FChatter transferred to pdf for me. And then, there's those vague mystery charges to be attributed later.......

And you oughta see the black exhaust splotches and spray patterns blown directly behind anywhere #22579 was parked with its "new engine". The oil on the wall or car behind was worse in a a few dozen starts than the flat-12 Boxer was after several years on what's likely its original build. Let's enjoy a shot of the white "future project RX7" chassis in storage that had less than ten starts onto its nose. The Boxer didn't have an engine during its stay in that spot, so brett's motor was the ONLY car contributing to that set of spots. EVER.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is from the fresh rebuild known as the "Duck Hunting Special", so named by James at Norwood because of how it ran ("sounded like shooting at a large flock of ducks overhead"), while still on the Canadian gas that brett had supposedly been driving it regularly to break-in the new engine. The poor spare Boxer nose sitting in front caught a lot of it, too, masking the RX7's lower nose from being even worse. The finger wipe in the driver's side splotch was just.....gooey, and difficult to wipe off my finger, like the back of the car after any drive of more than a few miles. Repeat after me "BUILT BY AN EXPERT!!"........... Ahhhh, Good times......
    As I put it in my thread, something along the lines of "I'd just drive it until it pops". I would suggest that Mitch view his brettski-built engines the same.

The only other explanation would be that it was a tired old engine in need of a total rebuild, but then we'd be talking just plain old boring fraud.

It's also pretty amusing when the guy hiding from legal action behind an international border warns us "Be careful".

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Brett, I reiterate the comment I made in the post to Mitchel.

Reading your latest posts you obviously feel that you've been wronged just as badly as Mitch does but there must be a way to sort this amicably - you don't need the bad press,expense or stess of this either.

I know that I digress but this is just like being at the beginiing of a no doubt messy divorce and believe me, I (like many others) know what that's like !! It bloody hurts and taints everything in your life for ages.

I tried everything to get my ex to take a step backwards and look at the situation objectively but she wouldn't - anger and bitterness destroys reason. Don't let the same thing happen here - there are issues on both sides but unless both parties acknowledge this and agree to compromise all you'll end up doing is hurting yourselves and each other.

I'm not belittling the situation but this revloves about money or perceived value for.

It can be sorted without kicking 7 bells of s**t out of each other.

Apologies if this comment is badly received on either side - it's intended to help, not hinder.

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Russell. Thank you. Only one person had made comments that put me in a bad light. I sure hope that he never makes a mistake. And if so some jerk does not treat him the same😊. With a surprise $47,000 bill staring at me and an already problem motor I see as the only solution, just walk away. I am considering this option. I do not need any more stress that is for sure

8. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    No offense taken Russ, thanks for making the effort.

Here's my message to Mitch last Friday morning...

Friday, September 11 9:28am

Confirm at your earliest convenience…

To me it looks like the only thing that needs to be paid for is the Merak…

You already know what is owing on that ($30 000)…

so make me a REASONABLE OFFER for the Merak work and we can ship everything immediately.

(Meaning Russ, that I was prepared to wipe almost $15K off the 365 invoice... and I asked him to make me a reasonable offer on the outstanding balance on the Merak...reasonable, that's all...I was never playing 'hard ball' with him and never made any threats...and I simply can't offer more than that)

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Wow! :eek: Holy Cow!

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Yeah, that'll only make cancer worse :(

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Keep digging, Brett. The picture that you are painting is very informative and will benefit future searches on this site.

12. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Where to start? I don't know either Brett nor Mitch but as someone who has owned an architectural metal fabrication shop for more than 30 years I can say it is not good to have even one unhappy customer. Nothing gets shipped from my shop without my personal inspection and deeming it perfect. If the client is unhappy with the product we take it back or refinish on site until the client is happy. The only way my shop (and probably ours, Brett) gets business is from client referrals so we strive to have happy clients. It is very important to give your clients upfront and honest appraisals of the cost of the work to be performed and to notify them immediately if the cost estimate changes. If a client is truly unhappy with our work after exhausting all other means of correction I will refund their money. I would never consider insulting or demeaning a client in a public or private forum- it's just bad policy.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #113 bundas, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Off subject. Since you are a fab. Shop you may find my, 'new garage'(thread) 30 tons of steel. Photo. Interesting. Shop did a beautiful job. Now having to modify �� every piece because the engineer did not measure correctly. Progress slow but getting done

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #114 bundas, Sep 15, 2015
  15. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Wow! Keep us posted on the dream garage!

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    from the shop were my car is. it has been waiting it's turn. motor must come out. I authorized $20,000 and told them to call if it needs more. this should be interesting. he ask for the invoice. I will sent it. progress

17. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know both of you guys personally, and I know your business models are far apart in scope, and draw far different clientelle, however, Newman's question is not "stupid" for any type of auto shop, and I take exception to you, Brett, suggesting it is.

I take my wife's Kia (ugh... her choice lol) for service at a shop where everyone that touches it is educated and licensed and certified by the provincial government to work on her car. This provides some level of assurance that those that touch her car are knowledgeable and trained to standards that will ensure the safe and reliable functioning of the car.

Should a Ferrari have as well trained maintenance professionals as my wife's Kia?

You mentioned Scott. Is he a provincialy licensed machinist? Is Scott a provincially licensed mechanic?

I know your background is not automotive Brett. That is fine for a shop owner (perhaps not ideal) as long as licensed tradespersons do the work and advise the clients. Brett, perhaps you have begun the process of becoming an apprentice, or taken auto service advisor courses that I am not aware of.

If Newman knew the answers to his question then should his hands be slapped, or should he be praised for raising a legitimate concern?

Either way the question Newman asked was not "stupid".

18. guitnwithit

guitnwithit Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Hello friends
    I have been watching as my credibility gets bashed.
    And enough already.
    I have been building engines for over 25 years.
    I have built no less than 27 Ferrari engines.
    I have built more than 500 engines.
    I was the plant manager at the 2nd largest production engine rebuilder in Canada.
    I am not a parts changer mechanic.
    I can Re machine. Change geometry and build some of the most sophisticated engines ever produced.
    I am not looking to pick a fight with anyone.
    But if anyone would like to challenge me on my abilities
    I will answer the call.
    Mechanics are my friends but they are not my equals and I bail them out of problems everyday of the week.
    I am trained in all aspects of engine manufacturing.
    As well as half of the specs that came from aera (automotive engine rebuilder associated. We're directly from my findings.
    From north American . European. Japanese. And all foreign.
    Building 60 engines a month under my supervision.
    I am not going to post again on here.
    If anyone needs help with a problem I will always field the call. I love helping people in the trade and will continue to do so.
    Let's be friends people

19. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Why am I not surprised about this new thread?

Mitch, as an ex customer of Gran Turismo I know exactly how you and Kurt (Willrace) feel.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #120 tbakowsky, Sep 16, 2015
    Well it looks like you guys definatly have the equipment.

21. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #121 brettski, Sep 16, 2015
    Well, there we have it, all 3 disgruntled guys at the same table, finally, thank you.
    Ok, here's a bunch of pics of my 'unqualified' team...with pics of all them working on working on Mitch's car...100 years of uninterupted experience...my 25 year certified power machinist and master engine builder, my 40 year licensed and Ferrari Factory trained tech and my 30 year licensed, BMW and Bosch trained tech.

Is that what you were after Newman, Beev... anyone else ?

22. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Yup, Tom, we got the gear.... but that's a '67 4.2 Maserati QP1 motor that you've posted...big job.

Hope all is well,

b

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    For people with any engine experience at all that picture is scary.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Doing ok here Brett, and thanks!

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im sure Mitch and Kurt are comforted by this information.