Any McLaren F1 owners ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any McLaren F1 owners ?

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Turbo360, Jun 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There are at least 4 companies in the business that have performed the EPA work on McLaren F1s in order to satisfy the 'Show or Display' exemption.

>8^)
    ER

2. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Out of curiosity, how many "missing" cars are there?

3. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011

I do appreciate all of your input and thanks for pointing me in the right direction when I pm'ed you. Thank you very much for being an excellent contributor to the community. When I get a chance I'm buying a round of beers :).

4. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #29 Peloton25, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    In more than a decade of attention, only one car of the 106 produced has failed to surface with any amount of certainty and that would be chassis #004 - a Grand Prix Red road car.

One possibility is that it may have been one that originally joined the collection of the Brunei Royal Family - there has been some discrepancy whether they purchased a total of 9 or 10 cars. The theory of chassis #004 being one of theirs has never been officially confirmed, however, and part of the skepticism is because it didn't appear on the list of cars from Garage #5 in Brunei that was released in 2006, whereas all the other F1s they purchased did.

We do know one car was written off in Brunei by a mechanic and reported to have been dismantled for spares, but I still can't be certain it was that particular one. Nine F1s were on the list and one of those cars has definitely escaped and has been in the USA since 2003. In late 2009 someone gained access to the collection in Brunei and spotted 7 of the 8 F1s that should have still been there - chassis #005 was absent, leaving open the possibility that it could have been the car written off or perhaps it was simply being stored elsewhere at that time. Of course it has been a while since anyone seems to have been able to observe those cars, but I doubt seriously anything has changed with what is there. I don't consider those 7 to be missing - rather more like captives. ;)

Another car that has fallen off the radar is chassis #039 which was spotted in Mexico a little over a decade ago, still wearing its original Brazilian Brown paint and fitted with a set of standard wheels that had been painted gold. There was a wild story connected to this one that the car had been purchased by a drug lord, that he had been murdered, that the keys had been lost and it was pushed into a barn under a tarp. Rumor has it the car is still there somewhere - possibly a future barn find. McLaren have also lost touch with it as far as I am aware. If you have seen it, please let me know. ;)

That's really it for mysteries.

>8^)
    ER

5. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    You know about the red car that was offered up for sale in San Fran back in 3 months ago ?

6. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Assume you mean chassis 028? Yes, we've been close on more than one occasion. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

...someone foolishly gave me the keys once too. :D

It's in the hands of a new owner in the UK now through a well publicized deal done with the help of DK Engineering.

There's also a red F1 in Singapore with black interior that has been there quite a long time and makes occasional appearances in the McLaren Automotive showroom. That one is chassis 021:

Finally there is chassis 042 which while originally silver was repainted in Ferrari's "Rosso Corsa" by a previous owner back in 2005, and also had the interior retrimmed in red to match. Unless there has been a fairly recent change, this one also resides in the Bay Area, but with a very private collector.

Still no chassis 004... :(

>8^)
    ER

7. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Damn. I like reading these car stories :D great stuff Erik!
    I too enjoy following these cars around and how they change owners. I remember seeing photos of the ex-Brunei's family yellow F1 that showed up at Monterey auction years ago.

8. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    Sold for $9m btw.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    3 in Barhain? I know of that silver/grey one from that amazing collection that we have all seen. Does he also own the orange GTR? What is the 3rd one?

10. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There is a silver F1 with its original owner in Bahrain.

The one in the "amazing collection" is actually metallic black.

>8^)
    ER

11. designo

designo Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Ahmed
  12. designo

designo Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Bahrain
    Full Name:
    Ahmed
    #38 designo, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #39 Peloton25, Jul 18, 2015
    One of the few photos of the Silver car in Bahrain - correctly noted above as chassis 057. Not really possible to tell here, but the interior of this car is Green.

>8^)
    ER

14. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    Which info do we have until now from the Mexican car (#039)? Aprox. location? City? Date of the last seen? Something?

It will be an amazing barn find!

15. 250Times

250Times Rookie

Jul 31, 2014
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Assyl Yacine
    Last I heard from a McLaren nut was that there are none in the UAE, and at least 3 in Bahrain.

16. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Was located in the Culiacan region - believe the last time it was spotted was 2003.

>8^)
    ER

17. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    Hard place to go for a look though, right? :(

Thank you Erik!

N.-

18. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think I would pass on the invitation in the current environment down there. Especially considering the rumors that surround the former owner.

>8^)
    ER

19. z06_23_45

z06_23_45 Rookie

Jun 3, 2004
    Does anyone have any info on this F1? This was spotted here in El Paso, Texas. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Chassis #036...my favorite road model F1. I remember when it was for sale out of Taylor and Crawley many years ago at such a bargain... That owner thankfully takes it out to a number of car shows.

21. z06_23_45

z06_23_45 Rookie

Jun 3, 2004
    Is it possible to find out if it belongs to someone here locally!?!?

22. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The owner of 036 is from Baton Rouge. If the car was in El Paso he was just visiting.

>8^)
    ER

23. TaureanDragon

TaureanDragon Karting

Nov 16, 2014
    Herts, UK
    #49 TaureanDragon, May 15, 2016
    Don't know about any current owners, but here's a pick of a few before their owners collected them from McLaren Cars back in'95.

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That photo was taken at the unveiling party for the first McLaren F1 GTR. Almost all those F1s in the photo would have been delivered to their owners at that point.

>8^)
    ER