2012 California vs. New GranTurismo MC | FerrariChat

2012 California vs. New GranTurismo MC

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ggonzaga, Jul 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    I am getting one of these two as a daily driver car. For roughly the same price, I can get a brand new Maserati GranTurismo MC with some good options, or I could get a used gorgeous 2012 California with sexy black rims. Both have around 450 HP. I want the attention, the pleasure, and some kind of back-seat utility. What is my best option here?

2. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The California :)

3. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar
    Any Ferrari will get u attention :)

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Utility for what? Infants? A bag of groceries? A spare matchbook?

Answer that, and the Cali vs. Masr will be an easier choice.

5. Tarheel

Tarheel Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Full Name:
    Ritch
    The California. Timely question. My 2013 California is parked next to a friend's Maserati GT as I'm typing this. There is simply no comparison. The Ferrari is the main attraction and the Maserati is the side show.

6. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    It all depends on what you want the back seats for. IMHO the Cali wins hands down in everything but back seat room and perhaps sound. The Cali will generate more attention without doubt. For me it's the Cali any day.

7. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Go to page 4 of my "Committed" thread and you can see a picture of my 2011 Granturismo convertible. I would not have traded straight across for a 2011 Cali as I really liked my car's sound and looks. The sound is fabulous in Sport mode above 3000 rpm and the ZF transmission is silk. Not a single problem with my Maserati. I thought the hp in the 2011 Cali to be disappointing for a Ferrari.
    What made me go to the Cali T was the big boost in hp and certain other improvements as well. I now think there is no comparison. The other readers are right--what do you want/need with your new car? The Maserati is billed as a true four-seater and it is. Is that important to you?

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    California Dreamer :)

9. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I would personally take the Maser. Cali can't match it for sound and looks IMHO. Way more classy and heaps more cool appeal!

10. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Both perhaps true, however drive the car, and the difference is way apparent.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Agree.
    Maser is a better choice here, California (the previous one) looks like a Ferrari wannabe in the eyes of way too many people (I disagree but it is what it is).

12. Andrew 912

Andrew 912 Karting

Dec 18, 2010
    USA
    Full Name:
    AES
    I have both .... Honestly I prefer to drive California, Cali is much easy to drive (in term of visibility especially when we back off the car) the Maserati has much less visibility. The F1 Double clutch on Calif is much nicer compared to F1 transmission on Maserati. This is my personal experience and taste since both are GT car. I agree with Steve Newton for Calif don't take below 2012... prefer Calif 30. Good lucks

13. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    the new mas will depreciate $50K the second you drive it out of the dealership.
    the cali will depreciate at around $20K/ year.
    when i was shopping for a "new toy" last december, i was considering the same 2 vehicles.
    i opted for the cali.

posing this question in fchat will get you a very biased response.
    perhaps you should pose the question in a maserati forum!

14. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Pleasure and utility? 2500 lap dances, and and a four door...seriously, which one makes your heart beat faster? That is your answer.

15. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Ok, here comes more bias.
    My 2011 Maserati Granturismo convertible stickered at $146k and I paid $137k.
    I sold it last night for $80k. Depreciated $57k over four years for average of $14,250 per year. No BS here but facts. Many people love Maserati. When you go to car shows like Geneva its platform is always next to Ferrari and the number of visitors on each platform is about the same. I have been to the Geneva car show four times with last time being this March. Ferrari and Maserati share certain manufacturing facilities, such as painting, and don't get me started on the history of Maserati which is quite stellar in its own right. The Maserati fits a lower cost profile but with much pride. The 2012 Cali in my view would never compare to a Maserati Granturismo any year when you factor in same hp, the ZF transmission in the Maser, and the cost which screams "tilt". But, hey what do I know?

16. Risktaker

Risktaker Karting

Feb 15, 2014
    If you want a back seat for adults and a much better sounding car stereo then go for the Maserati, if you want more attention get the California.

17. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    I'm sure the Maser GT is a great car but I have never really liked the look of it. Each to their own I suppose. I'd much rather have my Cali T any day and would probably also opt for a Cali 30 rather than the Maser. It's all down to whatever ticks the right boxes for you.

18. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    Well, the reason I didn't go for a car like an R8 or similar is because it only has 2 seats. Just having 2 (partially seatable) backseats make me happy. I just want to haul away more friends, girls, but not quite frequently. The GT seems much more spacious, but can a normal sized person sit in the back without losing their legs, maybe putting the front seat forward, etc.?

Hands down, the California gets A LOT of attention, and that is one of the reasons I'd get it. The sound is quite sexy in my opinion, but the GT's exhaust is just impressive. In my building, though, there are more Maseratis than Jaguars, for instance. Ferraris, not so much.
    I don't look forward to using the car top-down a lot, so if I did get the Maserati I'd be going for the Coupe, as the soft-top looks ugly.

Minor detail: the Ferrari's key NEEDS a refresh. Maserati, not so much.

Well, if I do lose the Ferrari, I did find a couple more similarly priced (159k) at pristine condition nearby (Miami). They have genuine maintenance up until Sept. 2018, and the dealership offers extended warranty at a price I'm yet to receive. EXTREMELY happy with that.

19. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    Why is the depreciation so much less in the Cali? Would that be for a new one, used one, or in general you mean?

Well, we did see some going for the Maserati here, but yes indeed I'll be sure to snoop around the Maserati forums. :)

20. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    Well, it still is a Ferrari! If I were to get girls, they'd view the California and the F12 Berlinetta both equally. ;)

21. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    I've not driven a Granturismo but the last time I saw one, I clearly remember it having WAY more space in the back seats than the Cali.

And it's cheaper to maintain and repair. If u are without warranty. Which, if u are, makes me wonder where did u steal the money you are about to use to buy the Cali, cause nobody sane in mind and able to work his life out goes with a Ferrari, any Ferrari, without a warranty.

No, the really rich buy new and sell it when it's dirty to buy another new.

However, literally EVERYTHING ELSE goes in favour of the Cali. Literally, if the dealer offers u extended warranty at WHATEVER PRICE, u take it and maintain piece of mind, and u have a car that wins over the Maserati in all aspects. INterior especially.

Except if the Cali is white. In which case get the black Maserati. Except if the Maserati is white. In which case get the black Cali. Oh well u got the point.

22. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Be sure and drive a 2013 before buying a 2012 -- just a little more $ and you can get a low mileage certified 2013 -- and the extra horsepower is well worth it.

23. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    ^this, too. Cali30s seem quite a bit better in everything

24. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    I'm trying to find a 2013 - but the 2012 is also certified, and it has a clean CARFAX. So far I've found 2011s and 2012s for the same price roughly. I'm still looking though!

25. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    Yes, I saw a Granturismo today and the seats are actually pretty impressive behind!
    So what the Ferrari is more expensive to maintain? I can afford to pay for the precautions. The car is Certified and the extended warranty would be a must. The interior truly is amazing, especially since the GT's hasn't been really updated since 2008.

Luckily for us, I do have both cars in black (and in white too - GT is looking good white bc of its black rims, but the white California is just whack).