Sad but true | FerrariChat

Sad but true

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JJmoto, Jul 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JJmoto

JJmoto Rookie

Jul 7, 2015
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Josh Johnson
    #1 JJmoto, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
    I recently bought my second Ferrari back in December.

The car had a Kevlar clutch that was just way too harsh for my liking. So I had the car picked up and sent right to my Ferrari mechanics RAC performance in Dallas.

When I bought my first Ferrari a few years back they were they only people that I found that would help me get my little basket case of a 348 back on the road. They did a wonderful job and my 348 has been an amazing car(I have put over 15,000 miles on it over the last couple of years) so anyways back to my recent purchase she's a 2000 360 f1.

Had her shipped to RAC and had them put a clutch and do a belt service. Went and picked up the car and it was pouring down rain so I did not get a chance to drive her before I loaded her on the trailer. Got home and unfortunately only got to drive it for 9 miles before the f1 light came on and the car was inoperable.

It was stuck in neutral and would not shift into gear. So I called up Hans and by this time they were already closed. No big deal I left a message and told him what was going on and for him to give me a call so we could get the car back to him. So the next day rolled around and by noon I still had not heard from anyone at RAC.

I found this rather odd, I'm a business owner as well and if one of my customers had left me a message as I did him my first call that morning would have been to my customer that needed my help. So anyways I tried calling RAC and every # I tried I just got voice mail. Not two minutes later I got a email to link to rest the ECU to my F1 transmission. Kinda odd that I call there and then almost instantly get a email from them.

They were obviously avoiding my calls!! Damn!! I just cut you guys a check for 20gs and now the second I'm having a problem you sart acting like this "was what I was thinking to myself" so anyways I call again and finally got someone on the sales line.

They transferred me to Hans in service and he proceeds to tell me that it's a used car and there are many different things that could be wrong with the car, that it wasn't necessarly something that the did. I told him that I unders that but it was a major coincidence that they just worked on my tranny and it was now messing up. We went back and fourth for a couple of days and he really seemed as if he didn't give a crap about my problems and wasn't going to lift a finger to try and get it back to him (I live almost 600 miles away) So I said screw it and took the car to Scotstdale Ferrari and they found that indeed it was an issue that RAC caused.

So I sent RAC the invoice that clearly states the issue was with the parts that they installed. I figured that after they had proof especially from a Ferrari dealer that they would make it right and pay the bill for me (Least they could do I thought) Well think again! I'm not going to repeat what they said but it was a loud and clear no to say the least. I am so disappointedm and frustrated by this whole situation.

I've been screwed over by mechanics before but I thought people that worked on these caliber of cars would have way better business practices than that of your average shade tree mechanic.

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Call a lawyer. Seriously.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

1 post, ripping someone you gave high marks to on your 348. Probably a better way to handle thngs, like David said you should have contacted a lawyer and/or the BBB.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Next time pay with a credit card, preferably American Express.

When you have this kind of issue, you dispute the charge, let AMEX take the lead, and then work it out.

Otherwise it's off to small claims court.

Ranting here in a rambling one paragraph diatribe will not help to solve your problem.

D

5. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Can you also do the same with Visa or MasterCard?

6. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    From your description it seems they knew they screwed something up.
    Were they not willing to take the car back and fix it?

7. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    He said they ignored him and did not want to take responsibility for their work.

8. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    How good is AMEX at fighting quality of service disputes? Visa for example isn't too helpful in a dispute like that... services not rendered at all? No problem. Quality of services not as described.. "not our problem" - has been my experience.

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yes, but AMEX is much more aggressive in protecting card holders. They'll yank the money out of the vendor's account and wait for an explanation. Visa/MC is not as active in that way.

10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Step 1: Give the mechanic a deadline to pay. Say two weeks.

Step 2: go through credit card to chargeback

Step 3: if the credit card route fails, small claims.

Step 4: If small claims fails and the guy gets garnished but cannot pay. MOVE ON

No need in fuming at the guy. These people are out there in life and they eventually get what's coming to them. Let him enjoy his 6 grand, it won't get him far. Calmly give him the deadline and if he misses it. Don't contact him again, move forward.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I wish we had a yelp for Ferrari garages. We all have our nightmare scenarios, in fact we could write a book about some of ours here in SC. One guy is in jail now, another almost went to jail that worked there. Any thoughts on Mechanic Ap? Think about it, Angies list is CRAP! Paid advertising. Ask me how we know, almost got screwed up when my brother thought he would get some painters there.

We need a totally unbiased service, and for the ones that about to say there is no such thing as unbiased there are many truths, well, let's just get as close as possible legally. Ok? Now go run with it....

How did you get tied up with someone 600 miles away and how is it they were awesome the first time and suddenly don't care?

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This.

13. RACperformance

Jul 8, 2015
    I’m sorry you had a bad experience. We’ve been in business 11 years and serve hundreds of customers a month. We always strive to create the best possible experience for our customers and a simple parts failure could have been easily corrected by shipping the car back to us as we had discussed (which you had agreed upon), instead of sending it to another dealer and having repairs done without our knowledge and consent. Mikaela (auto shipper) was informed and was expecting your call to have the car picked up and "Hot Shotted" back to us. RAC Performance made multiple attempts via email asking you for a status with no response.

Thank you,

RAC Performance

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Doesn't sound at all like RAC, known them to be always Stand Up !

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #15 El Wayne, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Paragraph breaks, please. Massive blocks of text like this are a major PITA to read.

I would say your mistake was in taking the car to another repair facility without first notifying RAC that this was your intention, and then expecting RAC to pay the other shop's retail for your repairs. If it was me and I wasn't getting the response from Hans in service that I was expecting, my next step would have been to ask for a supervisor or someone in a position of authority above Hans.

From RAC's response above, however, it sounds as though they might have been ready and willing to ship the car back and at least take a look at it to determine the cause of your problem. If this was the case, then you really should have given them a chance to do so.

16. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I am glad the company in question chimed in. I guess that's why they always say there are 2 sides to a story.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There always is but it never slows down the F Chat "blame the business first, last and always" crucifixion machine.

18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sorry, I was going based on what was given. And notice, the lawyer route was at the bottom of the list, and trying to work it out with the shop was at the top of the list. Looks like the customer jumped the gun.

19. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Apparently not.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #20 Rifledriver, Jul 8, 2015

Yelp is crap too.

You have that now. It is called your fellow Ferrari owners. And I am not talking about nameless, faceless people on the internet. I am talking about people you personally know, people whose standards and values you have some understanding of. The same way you would find a new Dentist, Lawyer or Plumber. It is a time honored method that has served us well for a very long time. It is still the best way bar none.

21. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    #21 Braces, Jul 8, 2015
    EXACTLY. And those individuals that believe Yelp reviews are only seeing one sided disgruntled individuals (if negative review) that is not substantiated. Also ... I would assume that any Ferrari shop that wants to stay in business with fickle Ferrari owners needs to provide superior service. It comes with the territory.

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Di you make any offer to mitigate costs if the error was yours?

Would you have paid for the pickup and return of his vehicle if your repairs turned out to be faulty?

I understand you responded to him, but I wonder if he was reluctant to return the car to you, at significant expense, if he was wary about your willingness to work with him on the cost.

I am in wild speculation mode here, but it seems to me if you made a reasonable offer to the OP to work with him, he'd be CRAZY not to send the car back to you.

D

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Brian,

Not all of us "blame" the business first, last and always.

however, if the facts had been as stated, and the vendor was not responding to the OP's attempts to contact them, what would you have done?

Let it slide?

Make one, last ditch effort to contact them, then let it slide?

Or, since $20K is in play, contact a lawyer and turn up the heat?

Or, something else?

I understand you're an excellent mechanic, reputable, and that you back up your work. But not all guys do that, some do just the opposite. We don't all jump on the bandwagon, we offer advice based on the facts as presented.

In this instance, the shop posted a response that in no way indicates HOW, other than to look at the car again, they were going to address some of the thorny issues the OP posted.

So, yes, they replied, and no, they didn't provide a ton of clarity about HOW they would work with the OP should they have been found at fault.

D

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So multiple Ferraris, but never bothered to add anything to the community.....except now to complain.

I have NO respect for guys like you who contribute NOTHING.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Never said "all". Despite that it is far, far too common.

I also suffer under no expectation we have the whole, unembellished story from either side.

I do however believe that the shop that repaired the vehicle did not just cut off communication and have reason to believe not every step at a resolution had been taken.

I probably know better than anyone here that there are very bad, disreputable and dishonest repair shops and I have no desire to ever defend them but I also know most of these train wrecks could have been avoided with a modicum of due diligence on the part of the consumer.