What did you do to your 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 today? | FerrariChat

What did you do to your 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 today?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, May 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Most of us that frequent this forum on any type of basis fall under anyone of the following as it relates to our beloved cars, although certainly not limited to being:

- curious
    - enthusiastic
    - seeking to be entertained by other's posts/threads
    - passionate
    - wanting to share
    - having time to kill
    - keeping up about all matters/owners/other vehicles like the ones we own, etc.

So, I was wondering, why not create a thread where anyone can come in at anytime, to simply let the rest of us know what they did on their car for that particular day? I mean, we don't drive them every day, but I bet ya that many of us either wish we did/could, or certainly at some point during the day, our 365/400/412 will cross through our minds... So, rather than create a new thread simply to "report" that you found something, bought something, installed something, or ???, why not come to this one and we all can learn from your post as to what's been going on with your car, and if you have pictures to show it, even better! Most of these 30 + year old cars always need something other than being driven, no?

For starters, today I finally got the title to 46567 which is a big deal to me because I can now finally register it for road use once the car has been completed. No pictures needed for this, but I simply wanted to start a universal thread for us all.

I know I speak for many that we are looking forward to hearing about what you did to your special car today, so let 'er rip!

dedo tanzi likes this.
  2. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #2 Al Campbell, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great idea for a thread!

Congratulations on getting your title - from reading other posts this can sometimes be a frustrating experience.

Not today, but this week I received my new XWX tyres from the UK to Australia in under a week. Longstone tyres give great service.
    I now need to recondition some rims to put them on. So today I have been searching the net for more info on restoring magnesium wheels. I would appreciate any info people have to offer.

Cheers Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Remove old coating using plastic bead blast or use walnut shells, treat with Henkel Alodine (conversion coating) . Epoxy primer (not etch primer), then basecoat and clearcoat in 2 pack.

Critical step is stripping
    Magnesium is soft, porous and reactive. You don't want to use sandblasting (potential to ruin wheel), paint stripper ( hard to get out of pores ) or soda blast ( stays in pores, reacts with Alodine ) . You can't water wash a magnesium wheel after soda blasting... gets a reaction.
    Glass bead is OK too. Essentially same process as painting magnesium F355 wheels which is covered in the Bradan (a sponsor) section

Henkel Alodine is contains chromic acid, worth reading the MSDS, I found a supplier on the Gold Coast

M

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Last weekend was a 4-day weekend so we too our 400i to our lake house in the Finger Lakes. The round trip including hitting some vineyards on three lakes was a bit over a 1000 miles.

Had a scary moment heading home. Going up a long slope on I-81 I glance in mirror near the top of the climb and there was a HUGE cloud of blue smoke out the right rear of the car. Yikes!!!$$$$!!!! I backed off to about 55 and got in right lane/shoulder. I check gauges and all was normal. I took it easy to upcoming exit about 2 miles down hill. Popped the hood and there was a large amount of ATF around and under the hydraulic suspension tank. Whew!! Here was the least expensive outcome possible from what I saw. The nose from tank to pump had a bit of a kink but did not appear to be leaking. I have a tool kit so cleaned it up a bit and improved the fit of the hose. With the motor off there was lots of fluid in the reservoir. With motor running tank was very low with a water fall coming in the return line. Garage I was at was more of a truck stop and they had no ATF. So off I went expecting rear end to be dragging a bit but made it the remaining 200 plus miles without incident.

So today I fitted a new hose, refreshed ATF and purged system. All seems to be working fine, but it is still a mystery why it blew out maybe 1/3 of the fluid all at once and I found no obvious leak. Any ideas?

Also today, did the usual long trip followup of fixing one nagging squeak in dash, getting fuel door to open, just the usual stuff after a long weekend.
    Ken

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    that was a long trip, congratulations. did you use the A/C? any oil consumption. I took the 1980(400ai) convertible out. RH drive. it was a big hit everywhere. cool enough for top down driving. no seat belts. they are in the 365. I need to put a set in before I get an expensive ticket. oil pressure light comes on while idling. I do not like that. but 600 rpm is too low. light goes out quickly. nice driver. 365 got a little attention. seat belts were installed. good day. mom was able to get up and walk, without help, for the first time since she broke her femur. great relief at that progress

6. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #6 Elasto, May 31, 2015
    PetMar likes this.
  7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Mitchell
    I try to do 3 to 5 such trips a year; that was the primary purpose for buying the car. Other than last year I have averaged 4-5000 miles per year and most of that is done in 3 or 4 long weekend trips...all trips to vineyards! We go to Long Island, Virginia and Finger Lakes on self planned wine tours plus usually two events with PennJersey Regions of FCA, half day events. In first couple of years with car we did one trip a year with the Mid Atlantic Region FCA but schedule has not worked out last couple of years.

Oil consumption = 2 quarts. It use to be more before all seals and gaskets were replaced last year.
    Ken

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Is well sorted. Oil consumption is better than a new car. I was doing 5-600 miles a week in the red 400 I just sold. The cars are very reliable

9. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    #9 rrbnut, Jun 1, 2015
    great thread start Otto; we are still sorting my car 45961 , but so far have done:
    wheels repainted and new tires mounted; complete dash removed and new leather-should be ready by next week; sorting various pieces as seen in other thread that were found to be broken or need replacement, such as heater/vent sliders and gear **** light; trip meter did not work, sorted now; checking all console switches and clean where needed;complete belt service , complete fuel injection overhaul, new air filters etc; engine bay cleaning while doing that; new brakes, new brake lines; more things to do-hope to have the car ready by end this month

10. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Al,
    I'm getting my rims done for the 365 GT4 at Xtreme Industries in Melbourne.
    I pick them up next week so I'll update this post and send photos with any salient comments.
    Cheers Rob

11. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    That would be great thanks Rob.

Cheers
    Al

12. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    Unblocked two of the four sunroof drain tubes , replaced 4 perished exhaust hanger rubbers and finished off fitting a Xenon light kit with 4 dipped beam and 4 main beam .
    Next will be a full check over prior to a drive from London to Ireland and back in a couple of weeks .
    Taking the 400iA in preference to the 612 !!

13. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    #13 dell550, Jun 9, 2015
  14. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Nice to see the car again George. I posted a picture of it on this site a while ago from when I last saw it, at the Ferrari club annual concours in c. 1992!
    Grigio fumol herbol is the colour!
    cheers
    David

15. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #15 Al Campbell, Jun 10, 2015
  16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    my car started the tuning process last night. new motor build set mix for 20F. well it is 90 tomorrow so the motor will run but is not happy. blowing fire out the exhaust. cool look

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Everything works. Wow!😍. I am in love. What a battle. Tuned idles great. Runs perfect.

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Holy cow, that engine is running way rich, your gas mileage's got to be killin' you :eek:
    Mine is not equipped with lambda, fortunately, but I currently have it set at 1.5% CO & I think that it could be reduced a little more.
    OM states CO range to be set at 1-2%.

Probst's "Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management..." is a great primer on how the various systems work, highly recommend this read:

Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management: How to Understand, Service and Modify: C Probst: 9780837603001: Amazon.com: Books

19. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I'm in the process of refitting the interior after removal and through cleaning. I did find that all of the parts were marked "719". Production assembly coding?
    The process is going well. Until this time I didn't realize that parts of the floor pan, including the portion above the differential were a composite of Fiberglas and plywood.
    It was a whole lot easier to clean the leather with the parts removed. It gave me a chance to inspect the floor pan for rust. Surprisingly I didn't find any.
    I opted to replace a broken speaker grille in the drivers door which I purchased from Eurospares. Stewart was very helpful with other items I also ordered. Nice to deal with.
    I have refit the lock mechanism for the trunk and gas cap. Some of the parts are very crudely fashioned. Particularly the lever blocking plate. It does work and with a key I had fabricated I can now lock them.
    The door mechanism is a bit confusing. I'm still trying to figure how the door locks when the key is removed as it doesn't seem to have a locking position. I'll need to look at the other one more carefully when I disassemble the right door.
    My car has an Alpine radio, vintage cassette, but I don't know what was in the car when new. When I took the left door apart I found a speaker that didn't fit the enclosure and was held in with only two screws. It was a 6" Alpine speaker. A stereo shop refit? I sourced a 4 1/2" speaker that fit the lugs in the door shell and I put the baffle behind the speaker, it's a foam composite, to protect it. I was surprised at the condition of the door interior also. Apart from a lot of undercoating in the bottom it was surprisingly clean also.
    I hope to refit all of the parts and carpet by the middle of next week. It's over 100 degrees outside and nearly as warm in the shop with no air conditioning. That keeps me from making faster progress, but I'm enjoying the experience anyway.
    If anyone can help me find a grab handle for the spare tire cover, I'd appreciate it. Mine has a part missing and when I re fabricated the cover I didn't install the old one hoping to find a replacement.
    I would like to find out what radio my 82 400i had when new? Is it available from any source? And, could one be retrofit to the console. I haven't taken the console apart yet to see if it was modified for the Alpine radio. I have no interest in upgrading the radio to a more modern system as I have no intention to listen to anything in the car except the engine.
    We are now into the triple digit temperatures and as I haven't tested the A/C it looks like "Lola" will be staying home for a while. All cars in our family have been given names. My wife named our 400iA. If it keeps her happy, it works for me.

20. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    "I would like to find out what radio my 82 400i had when new? Is it available from any source?"

I would love to know the answer to this frequently asked question as well.

21. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I guessed that this would be an open ended question. Weren't these cars shipped with a radio? It seems like such an obvious detail that not being able to find the answer leads to more questions.
    Until 1967 most American manufacturers didn't require either a radio or a heater be included as standard equipment. But that was in the 60's. By the 80's common sense would lead one to believe that manufacturers would install a radio. At least a minimal level one, that had been cleared by engineering to prevent fires and dead batteries. So, why is this information so elusive. No Italian radio manufacturers? Not the case.
    The console had to be designed around the eventuality of a radio being installed and I doubt that there were many 400i's that left the factory without a radio and antenna package.
    Someone has to have this information.
    For now I'll leave the Alpine where it is. I don't use it anyway? I may even leave it disconnected as I've heard, and I should verify, that Ferrari was in the habit of wiring the audio system hot all the time.

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

I think that one reason why a "standard" radio was not fitted to the cars was because the radio frequencies used varied between countries and/or continents and so different radios would be needed depending where the car was being sold. Although AM and FM is/was used in a lot of countries the actual frequencies, demodulation characteristics, etc were (I believe) different. I guess I should know this exactly being an EE, but most of this occurred when I was somewhat young (young teenager) and before my times as a EE. As time moved on certain standards (and frequencies used, etc) became more globally accepted and so the localized differences became less and less. Further technology also has changed and so the old school hard-wired approach has been changed to a digital approach and so any differences between "markets" can be accommodate through software changes... In other words nowadays a audio device manufacturer can have a single product that can accommodate regional differences/nuances by simply loading in different software into the device. Way back when... a manufacturer would have specific devices manufactured for specific markets.

Adding to the above Ferrari and its dealers would have to contend to the end-customer's own interests/desires as to what radio manufacturer, etc they would want... I suspect that Ferrari decided that this was like opening up a can of worms and simply installed the speakers and wiring.. thus removing them of the responsibility and effort of this task (less effort for the same $$$ = more profit)...but also the dealer could upsell the Customer on an "add-on" and thus increase some $$$ for the dealer.

Cheers,

Sam

dedo tanzi likes this.
  23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I was the second owner. The car came with that radio. My 365 had no radio. The hole was there. No speakers were installed. No wiring. I put a period correct Becker Grand Prix in. I had to enlarge the hole

dedo tanzi likes this.
  24. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Today we took our 400i on a local car club run to a roadhouse 90K's out of town for lunch & back. It purred along beautifully as it clocked up another 200K's. :)
    When I got back from the run with the car at normal operating temp I adjusted the CO levels down from around 4% to 1.00% which gave a lambda reading of 1.032.

Cheers Al

25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #25 bundas, Jun 14, 2015