off for restoration 365gt4 2+2 1976 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

off for restoration 365gt4 2+2 1976

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Jun 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Wetzig

John Wetzig Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Allentown PA USA
    Full Name:
    John Wetzig
    Wonderful picture Bundas. Glad your mother is doing better, and enjoy many more great adventures.

2. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mitchell

Would you be kind to reach me at [email protected]
    It s quite very important about the history of your 365

I hope to hear from you very soon

Best,
    Paul

3. Peterleonj

Peterleonj Rookie

May 20, 2015
    Are you interested in selling it ?

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    everything is for sale. but price is always an issue.

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Tomorrow at a FCA drive starts in Independence Ky. About 2 1/2 hr

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Is any available and what did it look like? Also shop manuals

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Still have. Thought that were all sobbed but no. Getting ready to leave and a dead battery greets me. Damn. 😡

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    A nice drive. Perfect day. Car ran very well. I was informed that it spit fire out of the exhaust when I took off in first. I got to 5,000 rpm for the first time today 500+ miles now on the new motor. Ran out of gas in front of house were tour ended😞😞

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sorry to hear about your battery issue. I don't know what your mechanical abilities are but here are a few suggestions. First when looking at this type of problem don't assume anything, every possibility has to be looked at and evaluated. I would start off by saying you don't have a short, a short circuit would be indicated by things like blown fuses and or melted wires and electrical fires, I would predict you have either a bad battery (yes even a new one can be defective) or a constant drain that is high enough that it drains the battery over a period of time.

Our cars from an electrical stand point have some issues, age, crappy fuse design etc but they are relatively simple. There are only a couple of things that normally use power when the car has the key in the off position and the doors and trunk closed they are the clock and the radio (very small drain to keep the presets and clock running). I would say in your case something is causing a drain besides those two items and trouble shooting will have to find the drain.

First have your battery checked, charge it up and take it to an auto parts store that can load check it, make sure the battery is not the problem. Next what does the amp gauge show when you drive the car, it should generally indicate a charge, if its showing mostly a discharge the battery is draining as you are driving. Second when you hook up the battery cables is there a noticeable spark? With just the drain from the clock and the residual radio there should be very little to no spark. A more accurate check of course would be to hook up and amp gauge and measure what the actual drain is.

If the drain is a lot, a newer modern car with all of the electric gizmos should be 50 milliamps or less so that would be a max number for an analog car. If you are looking at more than 50 milliamps you have something that's not completely turning off. Now it's just a process of elimination to find the culprit. I'd start with the trunk, does the light turn off when you close it, put a video camera inside it and close it. The next step would be pull the fuses one by one while looking at the amp gauge (not the dash gauge but one hooked in between the battery and the battery cable). I would start with the trunk light and radio first.

As a temporary solution until you get this figured out just disconnect the battery when ever you aren't driving the car.

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #35 bundas, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found all kinds of electrical problems. Interior lights were shorting out everything. Wiring in trunk area was a mess. No radio. The car seemed ok after we removed the fuse for the interior lights. Also replaced head light relays(Porsche). All seemed ok. I let the car sit for a week and a dead battery is what I had this am. It took a 200amp charge about ten min. And all has been fine. Went on the Ferrari club tour. Drove 300 miles. Managed to run out of gas(gauge not working). An got home. Mostly did between 3-4,000 rpm. Got brave and tested the 4-5,000 rpm. Ran fine. Car is in the Alt Park Concours. Kind 14. I have a big list of issues to get done. Radio install. I bought a new Becker Grand Prix. I am going to rob my early 409 for seat belts. Sun visor clips. Interior lights. Ash tray assy. I kept fast company today. A 700hp Porsche ran off the road about ten cars in front. Did major damage to the car. People ok. Man did not know how the drive. 25 mph sharp left went thru ok an hit the petal hard. Dumb ass
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Very happy geezer. Better than -----

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds to me you've got a lot of sorting to do.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Honeymoon over. I hope. He took the 1980 400ai convertible and is robbing the parts so I can get the 365 ready to show. Seat belts, clock visor clips(there are black did they make white?) install the radio. I need a photo of an installed Becker. Mechanic does not think the one I have looks like it should be in the car.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Have nothing to do with criticism of Brett. I am just stating what has to be do to get the car ready for show. Please do not read anything else into my script. These old cars seem to be endless. If entire one wants to see a pissed off post just look at the ones I have done

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Fixed, gas door. Carpet in trunk. Clock. Visor clips. Seat belts installed

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I need a photo of an installed Becker. Please

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    My plan was to use the 1980 400 seat belts. But they are different😞. Will modify the mounts from my '77 to make them work. My Becker is requiring a larger hole on the dash. But progress

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    holes cut. the center console is out. hvac levers need lub. fuel gauge may be bad. it was working while with Brett. typical old car stuff. stopped for the day. but progress.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Red, is on all the time. Should it be?

21. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    No.

Is this the car that had the flat battery? Hook up a voltmeter to the battery terminals while the car is running, you should have a reading of 13-14 volts or so. Any less than 13 indicates that the charging system is marginal or is not keeping up with the charging needs of the battery. Have the battery tested under load (an Autozone will do this for free). If the battery is good, then there is a problem with the charging circuit, the belt or the alternator itself.

Does the GT4 have two alternators or one? The 400i had two alternators and therefore two alternator lights. If the belt broke on one alternator, there was sufficient power from the other alternator to keep the battery charged unless the lights and a/c were all on.

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I will have the shop check today. dash meter shows a charge. this is a good time to check as the dash is apart.

23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Valve leaking. No valves but diaphragm is available. I hope it is rebuildable. Bumpers got restored. $100 each. Meeting with the shop owner today. He needs money

24. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    A 400i owner as a customer can fix that problem! :D

25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    saw the various problems. cables for HVAC were frozen. free now. the last short, fixed. it was hidden behind the glove box. a hard sucker to get to and pulling 1/2 a amp.. pulling the condenser . will try to replace it with a current production. I found a heater valve at Eurospares. $87. bargin. so far $5,700. well spent. I happy. Radio in. still want to know what the center rocker switch is for(between window switches)?. T Rutlands furnished the correct clutch/brake pads, cheap. I cannot find the gas pedal pad, yet. still looking for the window chrome weather strip. will tune carbs. last.