F355 Market | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #1 Robb, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Thanks to Ken for suggesting we kick off a new thread to track the F355 and 355F1 market/inventory and asking prices. Hopefully this thread can be added to regularly so those looking can stay on top of options and thoughts on what is available, and why it might be available for a LONG time... Or not. :) All models should be included in the thread.

Many of us all have highjacked other F355 related threads to only post or ask questions about specific cars, so why not have a more separate thread to share and discuss this information? Just like the 360 section featuring the Challenge Stradale market or other sought after runs that are harder to find.

Don't spend all your energy arguing over values of cars - because everyone of us values them and how we make our money differently. Concentrate on what you like about the cars or not. You can always send a PM on pricing if you need more opinions off-lime. Next year and years after, it will be good to see what was available and at what asking price.

Please post up any new cars coming on market and the source or link where you found them.

If you perform a PPI or see maintenance records and are no longer interested in a car, tell the group why and save a brother some time and cash. Or if you see a gem but it's not the right time for you to purchase, share the lead. if you see a local car, throw down some thoughts here also.

There are currently around 7 Berlinetta's and 1 GTS on Cars.com

Here are my thoughts on them from a related post from INTMD8 (Thanks James) to kick us off.

I advised a fellow F-chatter against the black 98 F1 based on the mechanical problems needing tending vs its current price... It needs a lot of work.

The silver car in MN has the "owner" melt down issues - documented in the classifieds with like 60,000 views... And is an F1 car. Some love them. Many want a gated car.

Next up is our challenge car purchased months ago. Not sure how current their ads are... We love it.

The 98 F1 is a nice looking car but has an "over the top" excess of non-OEM carbon fiber everywhere. You also either want an F1 or not. More seem to want a gated car... Not sure all will like the seats. His $10,000 challenge that he has the best Berlinetta known to mankind is somewhat of a turnoff to buyers also.if it's the best, it would have sold by now. So,e prefer different colors although silver looks great to me.

The '99 silver GTS is gorgeous and priced to sell. It is also an F1 car. Market seems to be smaller for F1 cars. You either want one or not. I love this car!

I don't see the '97 3-pedal mentioned.

The black car for all the money looks great. The seller was ready to sell the car at a lower price but after getting quick several offers upped his ante. Nothing wrong with that but that turns off some who don't want to play the bidding game that may never end... So that may be a while why it sits. I suggest sellers set a price and don't play the real estate game. Cars are not like houses. You might have heard about a certain 575 gated 6 speed whose seller did the same thing. Angered many.

The red car for all the money has some questioning its true mileage or previous condition although it hadn't been driven since '99 on the road, and I have seen nothing to suggest otherwise. It's condition NOW is great. I like it.

The blue '95 gated car is a one of one in that color and option setup for well known Ferrari collector Peter Kalikow. It has been owned by two f-chatters and was traded for a 512M. The dealer selling the car has also been at the forefront for 512 TR and 512 M sales that some have suggested in other threads is trying to push the market with how many cars they hold thus controlling the most current asking prices. The only reason that some unfairly don't like the car is the higher miles. It is also currently all the money. Time will tell. No one would be blinking if it were a 993 turbo. This would be a prime car to send to that Ferrari specific auction to see where it would really come in at...

Let's clear up what has been seen out there and where they stand. Try to be pretty neutral with OEM being a good starting point for what you see. Some like add-ons like non factory wheels. Others like it stock. Stay positive!

Now we need several owners or buyers in the market for spiders to chime in as well. There are also cars that show up on autotrader, eBay, and other sources. Feel free to add links and pics. Hopefully this will be a great daily resource.

Robb

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The silver '99 F1 GTS was sold very quickly.

MD355GT3RS likes this.
  3. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Don't forget Dr. Wynter's master piece at $105k. Worth every penny if you ask me for someone who likes the color.

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yup. Gorgeous and incredibly rare color that is, imho, the most flattering color on a 355

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    There's also the black tan 97 GTB on eBay with 18 bids and reserve met @ 70k.

Also worth noting the add mentions a carfax mileage discrepancy.

Danny Aiello likes this.
  6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    MUCH better :). How reliable is cars.com? My understanding is a majority of the ads are old. Maybe even a few scam ads. I never bothered looking at cars.com when looking for a car.

My search order:

1. Ebay (easy viewing. Quick snap shot of the market)
    2. Forums
    3. Auto trader
    4. Craigslist

7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Also remember links to dead, especially ebay. Try to post phots of the cars and other info, this thread will be here for a long time.

8. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    If you look at completed listings on ebay the highest 355 car that actually sold on ebay was $59,500 for a spyder with 25,623 miles, the next highest car that sold on ebay was $57K and it was a 1995 red GTB with 34,900 miles

Just some data that I am sharing and not interpreting

9. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I was at Reigel Tuning, a Calgary independent shop, getting my Mercedes worked on and they had a couple of red 355's in lobby. If I remember correctly one was a spider and the other a GTB. I believe the GTB was getting an engine out completed and I was told it was for sale for around the $70k Canadian range including the engine out. Just passing it along.

10. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That '95 was stolen.

Ferrari 355 Berlinetta | eBay

I wish I was the first person to come across that ad. I would've had that parked next to my F1. :p

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Gruppe M exhaust. That's rare.

12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Full engine rebuild 3k miles ago as well. Essentially a new (mechanically) '95 355 in the "right" colour combo for $57k usd is quite a deal IMO. Probably why it didn't last long at all.

13. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    RTGT in Oregon still has a red/tan F355 spider, F1 and a 99' for $105 K.
    They dropped the price $5K, car has a little less than 5000 miles.
    If you buy it and add 10,000 or more miles to the speedo ..... Value goes down fast

Complete service engine out 10/14, so it is ready to go go go

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    $46,000 service on a car with 30k miles is also probably why it didn't last long with the previous owner :D Ouch.... The new owner got a great deal on that.

15. Horsechat

Horsechat Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    You forgot the best way:
    WOM (Word of Mouth)

That's how I got mine!!!

16. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think this is a great idea for a thread. When someone is looking for a car, they might be able to find the car they are looking for easier, and gain some additional information from members that are familiar with it. Good work Robb.

17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'll give credit of the thread to ShineKen! :)

There will also be many good guys here contributing. All good info. The goal is to help those find good cars or those that can become good cars!

Word of mouth is a great resource here. Don't be afraid to send those PM's.

Robb

carnutdallas likes this.
  18. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Subscribed. Love this thread.

19. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Wait... So is this the Berlinetta/GTS F355 market thread ? :)

21. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    LOL

22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Let's start seeing spiders listed for sale with what the group knows.

How many are out there in the various sites?

eBay only has 5-6

Fewest F355's I have seen on that site in many years. Used to be 30 on there all the time.

Robb

23. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Sold on eBay for 73,100.

24. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I remember before I bought mine in 2011 there was indeed lots of them for sale. Those days seem to be gone.