Official book collectors thread | Page 70 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Appears to be very complete including photographs and drawings. Few of the very early B&W originals that I have seen for sale are quite expensive. When it comes to Ferrari year books and Cavallinos I have the originals.When it comes to the Prancing Horse I have the originals starting with #35 and going up to #171 and issues V,X, XIV and XVII. It's nice to at least have copies of these early B&W issues. So far copies of issues from 1966 #I thru #XX are available.Lets hope copies of the last twelve early editions will follow.tongascrew

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Only read chapter on VeloceToday.com but seems well researched.
    When I see actual book I will see if the short wheelbase berlinetta Ferrari I saw in Calif with Chevy V8s are in there.(one was Ghia bodied coupe out of Altadena)

Also want to see if ex-Jim Hall Ferrari roadster is in there;called "The Pig."

Here's a website with info on the book

Bowtie Ferraris by Randy Cook
    Bowtie Ferraris by Randy Cook
    Exotic, hand-built Ferraris of the 1950s and Chevrolet's family sedan produced by the thousands would seem to have little in common. But it's a twist of ...etc.

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    #1 "Ferrari, The Man and His Machines" by Pete Lyons; large format;hard cover; 320 pages;Publications Intl. 1989; very nice 73 page bio of E.F. by Lyons with some excellent early B&W photos.Balance mostly the road cars starting with 815 and going up to F40 with many excellent current and a few early photos.Very good text by Lyons. This may be the best of the introductory books.#2 "L'annata Automobilistica 1960-61" by Gianni Marin; hard back;255 pages;Italian language; This is the Italian equivalent of the Automobile Year series but in considerably more detail.Short descriptions of many European and U S drivers, maps and descriptions of the major European tracks, 1960 major European race and rally results and nearly all Italian competitive race and rally events with many great photos and more including the 1961 schedule of major European events. I have only been able to find this one issue. For any Italian speaking enthusiast I would recommend any of these issues for the particular period. Enjoy tongascrew

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    #1 "The Autobiography David McKay's Scuderia Veloce" by David Mckay;Turton & Armstrong; 2001, 309 pages; hard cover; Very detailed rendition of the S.V.'s history:If you have a particular interest in 250LM #6321 then this is a must.If you want info on P4 #0858 [as if one really needs more]and how it came to Australia and it's short life there, there are a few pages. Of the most interesting is the description of opening the many crates of spares that came with the car.Otherwise this book is of limited interest to most F Chatters. #2 "Automobile Year Annual Automobile review" I have issues #4-#11.These early editions are hard to come by today but do give the reader a real taste of what was going on in Europe and America for the everyman and in F 1 and major rally events.Hardly a must for every collector but an important addition to any major collection of the period. Enjoy tongascrew

6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Hmmm, did anyone else notice that all the posts pertaining to recent discussion of a certain book that may or may not come out has been deleted? Oh well, and so it goes.....

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Give us a clue.

8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Oh.... s____. I'm an idiot! My mistake. NART book.

I thought it was in here...... did not remember that it was an entirely separate thread not in with the books. Chalk it up to brain fade, old age, or just being a bit dumb.....

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Very cool. Fioravanti is one of the best.

Nice! Thanks for posting.

-F

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This post is slightly off topic, but it is about a book.....:)

Some years ago I read about a company in England that makes nice leather bound books for keeping automobile service records, insurance documents, ownership and registration history, etc. I thought I had bookmarked the web site, but that was a couple of computers ago....

After a frustrating web search I have been unable to identify the company. Does anyone here have an idea of who it could be? If not, suggestions for alternatives are most welcomed.

Thanks.

Jack

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Think these are the ones your thinking of Jack

AUTOFARM | Presentation Folders

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  14. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    #1 "Ferrari Testa Rossa V12" by Joel Finn; 1979 The Newport Press; Hard back 250 pages[soft back reprint] A classic with many excellent period photos.Very good text on the design. development and racing results. Included are maps and descriptions of the tracks featured in the Championship, behind the scenes turmoils at Ferrari, driver descriptions, non championship races, owners, drivers and background stories' controversies and behind the scenes racing, pit stop and car development screwups.Also copies of five build sheets and discussions of race preparation mistakes. All well written by a well respected author about one of Ferrari's most famous machines A must have. #2 "Sports Car Heaven, Aston Martin DBR1 V Ferrari Testa Rossa" by Chris Nixon. 198 pages, 2002. Excellent description of the competition between Ferrari, Aston Martin, Jaguar. Porsche and Maserati for the championships 1956-1959.Of special interest what makes Stirling Moss one of the two greatest drivers of all time often in non competitive and often poorly prepared and financed cars. Also how the 1500-1600 cc Porches challenged the "big guys", how E.F. tried to control the management of his racing teams with out ever leaving Maranello,constant poor Ferrari pit and race preparation. and the spectacular arrival of Dan Gurney and much more. Enjoy; tongascrew

15. Augie'sPal

Augie'sPal Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington state
    Full Name:
    Wil N. Stevenson
    I was hoping someone on this thread has the two-volume set of Ferrari 550 Maranello Factory Workshop Manuals (Red Covers). I have a set, but in Volume 2, Section M (Chassis and Bodywork) is missing. All the other Sections in Vol.2 are there (G, H, I, L, and N), and Vol.1 has all the Sections A, B, C, D, E, and F like it should. I've found Section M to be missing in other sets I've looked at also. Did maybe the factory purposely leave out Section M of Vol.2? Doesn't make sense. But I haven't found one yet.

Thanks for any help,
    Wil

16. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    #1 "La Ferrari" by Silvio Pasotti;1990 Electa;hard back;79 pages;Italian & English. This is the story of the 10 X 6 foot Ferrari memorial painting painted on a wall of the Olympic Theater in Vicenza, Italy.In one giant creation Silvio Pasotti, one of Italy's most celebrated living artists, captures the 90 years of Enzo Ferrari's life and legacy.Shown in this book in 45 sections and many detailed color photographs, this mural captures hundreds of important persons, places,cars and events in the extraordinary life of the great man in brilliant color and creative style.This is a giant masterpiece the creation of which is shown and described in great detail in this volume.This has to be one of the most unique celebration of the life of Enzo Ferrari. #2 "Ferrari Design of a Legend" by Gianni Rogliatti; 258 pages;Motorbooks Intl. Of importance are pages 207-243 which contain copies of blueprints and Colombo's color design drawings of the first Ferrari cars from 1946/7 and pictures of a number of the important early engines. Most of these and others are included in "L'idea Ferrari" and the engines in "Ferrari Catteristiche technischo dei motore Ferrari....1946-1985" a Ferrari Copyright publication from 1985 both of which will be reviewed at a later date. Enjoy tongascrew

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have really enjoyed "Races, Faces, Places" by Paul Parker, the motor racing photography of Micheal Cooper (deceased).

Lots of great black and white work, and so the color snaps of the Ferraris all but jump off the page, when you turn to them!

Check it out, two "thumbs up"!!

18. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    #1743 modena1967, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back from Italia (Milano, Modena, Maranello), bought some books at Libreria dell' Automobile bookshop.

I really like the following one :

BARACCA. L’EROE DEL CAVALLINO (152 pages).

Italian text (a good way to learn/improve your Italian language for a future trip don't you think ?) and packed with a lot of b/w pictures of Francesco Baracca.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Nice brief review.I have considered this book for several years. I have tried to keep my collection of over 1200 books and magazines centered on Ferrari 1946-1966.I do have a few Italian language volumes but have to draw the line somewhere.I am sure your comments will be appreciated by many. Regards tongascrew

20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I Knew there had to be a book somewhere on the subject.Thanks for the pictures. I have a file of many of the examples of the "cavallino rampart" I also have a copy of the 9" X 13" yellow folder dedicated by E.F. to Baracca.I also found two copies, numbered #00125 &#00126,of the 50th anniversary postcard dedicated to Baracca by Ferrari. If I spoke Italian I would also order the book.Thanks tongascrew

21. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    #1746 Dino2400, Apr 27, 2015
  22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Great photos in that book!

Thanks for posting it...the whole WW1 flight era makes for interesting reading....

Then Rickenbackers later life leads right back into the Indy 500 story....

23. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    #1748 modena1967, Apr 28, 2015
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I wish that Giorgio Nada would do more books in English, or at least multi-lingual. On a worldwide basis, they must realize that in many cases they would sell many more books that way. I have the same beef with French publisher Histoire & Collections (who are even worse in this regard).

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Klemantaski....

New book releases some great images from Peter Sachs collection.

Sold as the "only title in print" of his work which is certainly true!
    It's pretty nice.

After the skyrocketing values of "Klemantaski and Ferrari", as well as "Klemataski, Himself" I would recommend adding this to your library.

I was lucky to find a nice copy of "Klemataski and Ferrari" below the current market of $500USD. Long out of print.

Apparently there is a Deluxe Edition of this new title too.
    I bought the standard one from Amazon after reading a notice in F1 Racing magazine.