24 Hours of Nurburgring 2015 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

24 Hours of Nurburgring 2015

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Napolis, Feb 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That would be the sensible thing to do, but I won't hold my breath.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Personally I think this will work well until they put in more permanent solutions. It's great how they got racing back up and running in less than 2 weeks from the terrible crash.

We'll be racing on Sunday.

The VLN site will have a full stream.

For those of you who go to the race please say Hello!

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  4. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Way to go Jim! Do they have race fuel on the Autobahn?!!

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #130 Napolis, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    slicing through Fuchsrohre and braking for Adenau Forst @2:00
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je6xN-y46nU[/ame]

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We had a great weekend. I was very happy with the speed of the cars in Qualifying and that we've secured a place in the Top 30 Shootout for the 24 Hour Race which was our main goal. The Organizers did a great job to ensure safety for all and I'm glad they're open to tweaking the new rules so that the teams can race safety and put on a good show. I'm disappointed that we had an Electrical wiring problem in Car 2 and really thank Bosch and Audi for trying so hard to help us. Car 1 ran very well during the race and we moved up to P2 from Q6 when once again we were Flagged for being too loud. We had made pre race changes but more were needed so we pitted and fit even bigger mufflers. We lost a lot of time and went back out at P62. We fought back to finish 13 OA/1 in Class and finished the 6 Hours without any mechanical issues. We have a lot of work to do before the 24 but remain extremely hopeful that both cars will have a great 24.

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    that sound level is an issue. of all the things to control that seems so far out of reason

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #134 Nurburgringer, Apr 14, 2015
    Way to go Jim! Once you get what are hopefully relatively minor issues sorted sounds like you could be challenging for 1 OA.

Are your cars out there now with the GT cars?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    SCG 003 is built within full GT3 rules. The LMP 1 we're designing will be built to LMP1 rules and be a lot faster.

Our budget is much less than many factory Teams at the Ring.

The factories take this race very seriously and the competition for First Overall will be spectacular.

Bentley, Audi, MB, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Aston are all big factory teams. Sadly McLaren seems to have given up and the only Ferrari entries don't seem to have any factory backing at all.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We hope to be in the top five but as you/we know man hopes and the Racing God's laugh...

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What I am saying is that your car was built in the spirit of a prototype, and not destined to be a mass-produced road car. The announced price alone tells me there was no intention of selling it as a road car.

When Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc... design a GT, they think in terms of a production run in the hundreds or thousands, for a passenger car, capable of whistling 2 people (and their luggage) across a continent in speed and comfort, metting the safety and legal requirements of several authorities (TUV, UTAC, etc... ), marketable in different countries, etc... The cost of the finished product is also a limitation in their technical choice, etc...

As far as I know, your car wasn't conceived in that spirit; it was designed as a prototype built without much cost restrain, to suit the appearances of a GT3.

I know perfectly well that a Porsche or Ferrari GT3 isn't the same car found in a showroom, but it was derived from it, and carries it's limitations, etc.. Your car and an "authentic" GT3 meet the same rules in the end, but starting from different directions.

You choose to start with a prototype, which then you civilised iand slapped number plates on it. Fair enough. It's a bit like a Maserati MC12 or a Saleen S7, which were not really destined for the road, but for the track, even it a few were road registered. Even Porsche won Le Mans in a "tamed" 962 road car by Dauer.

I don't know why the SCG003 was even built, since it was created to fall in any category; it's not a GT3, nor a LMP or a GT. It can only be raced at the dicretion of organisers outside international series. I am pretty sure that if it started to win against "bone fide" GT3 or GTE, it would be protested and ultimately banned. The same happened with the MC12, the Mosler, etc...

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It was build because I wanted to build it.

My main use of it will be on the road.

Several others are interested in road versions.

One has bought a race version and will race along side my car which I'm racing, before converting it to a road version once again because I want too and a new customer is interested in a race version so we may be a three car team at The Ring in 2016.

We have been approached by several different groups to provide the capital necessary to turn SCG into a company that could build a 1000 examples fully road legal worldwide which would fully homologate the car as a GT3 enabling us to sell GT3 versions as well. Not saying this will happen or that I want it to happen but it may happen. If it does the price will come down somewhat.

We are also seriously in talks to fund a new SCG LMP1 for 2017 which would be a two car team and contest the full WEC including Le Mans.

You never know...

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  17. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Jim,

What are the odds of a (presumably heavily detuned) SCG in something like TUSC or PWC here in the US? Surely if the DeltaWing can be accepted, this can.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We are talking to TUSC. After last weekend personally I don't have any interest in PWC.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #145 Napolis, Apr 22, 2015
  20. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Are you referring to the Long Beach race? That was......rough to say the least.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes.

22. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #148 Nurburgringer, Apr 22, 2015
    True that. My dad loves to tell the story about how even many German fans were cheering for the race-leading Dan Gurney at the '67 German GP, until a driveshaft broke on the last lap...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Gordon Murray, you say?

Now there's a nod of approval to be proud of.

Well done, Jim!

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My book arrived from Germany, and it is VERY nice!

Thanks for including us all in the journey...