Daytona Michelotti for sale in Brussels | FerrariChat

Daytona Michelotti for sale in Brussels

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PBE624, May 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I noticed this car and following description here in Brussels (see website page 3):

http://www.vdvgrant.be/sale.php

Description gives some details:

"Ferrari 365 Daytona Spider NART Michelotti 1972 :

The example presented here is an original Daytona Spyder, the 71st car built of a total 121. It is an original left hand drive model built for the United States market. Inspection of the build records reveals the original paint color was light red with black leather seats and a full black interior, air conditioning. Upon completion by Ferrari, 16467 was sent to Modern Classic Motors, Reno, Nevada. It was then promptly sold to a Mr. Greer.

In 1975, while being used in the filming of the movie “A Star is Born” (Warner Bros, Kris Kristofferson, Barbara Streisand), it was damaged. Upon needing substantial repair, 16467 was sold to Luigi Chinetti who repaired the car at an internal cost of $6,000. Instead of repairing the bodywork in its original style, Luigi Chinetti commissioned Giovanni Michelotti to design and execute a special one-off body for the car. The approach to the design and construction of the car is in that typical “carrozzeria tradition” the customer, not the maker, has gone to Michelotti, to ask him to design and build a limited number of cars. Although the Ferrari Daytona, is out of production at Maranello, Luigi Chinetti gave Michelotti the task to come up with a contemporary, exclusive spyder. Although neither probably knew it at the time, this was the last car the great Giovanni Michelotti ever designed.

Due to the large 12-cylinder engine in the front, Michelotti found designing the front a challenge, but with a thin bumper, pop up lights and straight but clean lines, Michelotti masterfully solved the problem. The interior was also redesigned with simple but contemporary lines, while maintaining a rather classic layout for the original, factory mounted instruments. The upholstering of seats is in leather, and inserted in the fascia and door panels is a warm dark brown cloth. The beige soft top is a conventional convertible design, as the car is expected to be driven in warm and sunny climates.

The newly redesigned Michelotti NART Spyder was proudly displayed on the Michelotti stand at the Torino Motor Show in 1980. From that point on, 16467 has been in the tight clutches of just a few collectors in the United States and today remains in very presentable overall condition, ready to be driven and enjoyed at all speeds."

Anybody from US aware of this car that looks to me like a kit car.... .

Cheers,
    Frank

2. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
  3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #3 merstheman, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    ^^^Funny, We owned this car when it was street red back in..... '80 - '81ish????? I will look for some pictures (if I have ANY) I use to and Still LOVE that car.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Did you get it from Dan Ward?

Jeff

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I really have no clue. I was 9yrs. old. I'll try to find out.

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Jeff K. and I well remember when Dan Ward had this car and drove it on a daily basis. He used to tell us that it was built on a "comp" chassis, but since those chassis were almost identical to a stock Daytona who knows (or cares?). In those days it was like that old army expression, "smoke 'em if you got 'em". Drive 'em if you got 'em; it didn't matter whether it was a comp car or a street model.

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    We did have a few real honest to God Comp cars in LA for a while. Ken Starbird had his that he used as a daily driver. The Carradine brothers had one for Bobby to race. The Century City attorney's had one (it may have been ex-Carradine), I think Jim Levitt had one for a while too. Ray Ramsey had one in Monterey that came down one time for a Riverside track event.

Francisco Mir was doing Comp upgrades to some Daytona motors and painting the cam covers red. Ted Field (Interscope) had a Spyder as such.

Even then, lots of claims but very few had the ability to prove provenance statement one way or another.

Jeff

9. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    The attorney's name was Bill Nichols or Nicholson. That is the car that finished 2nd overall at Daytona in 1979. It should have one because the winning Ongais/Field Porsche sat for probably fifteen minutes while the clock ran out. I've heard varying stories on why a protest was not lodged. Still an incredible event that no Hollywood screenwriter would dare put on paper.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Bill Nicholas. Car was 16407, ex-Carradine.

11. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
  12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    At an FOC meeting in the day the two partners told the story of how they decided to buy and race the Comp Daytona. It involved a Mexican restaurant in Century City and alcohol. A hilarious telling.

Jeff