New Ford GT | Page 9 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fixed

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Really?

The technology in this car far outstrips a 458.

American Electronics and engineering vs Italian Electronics and egineering.

Get real.

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    At 400k no doubt they will sell out quickly. It's crazy that the insane rise in super car prices over the last ten years have desensitized most of us to a 400k ford price tag. Almost every new exotic that had an equivalent model ten years ago has an msrp that is in many cases 100% higher. Manufacturers are getting smarter I guess and taking the money up front instead of leaving it to dealers and flippers and exporters to pocket.

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    What the dealer "gouge factor" will be is the interesting question to me. I'll bet it will be far more than 10%.

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lol. Maybe you should let it win a race first?

What is the ground breaking tech other than a carbon body and active aero? The engine has been around a little while in racing and the 488 will have just as much or more power. I like the ford GT a lot but declaring it the greatest thing ever when it hasn't even been tested is silly.

It's a bespoke racecar being built by hand in a specialized race shop in Canada. Hard to compare directly to a car that will be massed produced in the thousands but still be able to compete head to head.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You mean 488 right? This is coming out next year; its competition will be the 488; the 458 will not be able to hang. I disagree - it's a much more exclusive car that is being built by hand; there is no reason to set the price so low.

Also, not that I want one, but the new Corvette is a monster and can hang with just about anything in the world.

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Single track the reason I have such confidence in this car is that it is being built specifically as a race car to win at LeMans first to be homologated later... you won't see the road versions until halfway through the 2016 season. If they win at LeMans the 400K MSRP will be a distant memory - it will be MUCH higher than that. The cars introduction is more like the original Ford GT40 was in the 60's which proved to be a world class winner and an incredible investment. Engineering? You don't think Ford won't pull out ALL the stops on this car? They have FAR more money than Ferrari, Bugatti. and Lamborghini combined and can pull in the greatest engineers on the planet. They are building it in a specialized shop in Canada like you say and will have the most exotic pieces in place to win when it is finished. This car will be a world beater and the Speciale and 458/488 won't even be in the same class as it is. LaFerrari is its class. A win at LeMans will put the car close to it in value as well. We shall see..

Now if I could only score one. Fat chance. :(

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm sure they will have no issue selling out; I'm just not sure how good it will be yet compared to the competition. I'm hoping for it to be awesome - that will push all the manufacturers forward and Ford is the most exciting US manufacturer to me. I just hope they are building the hard part which is the tech to mass produce CF tub cars. The engine is already race-proven.

Ferrari has access to all the same engineering as Ford does; it's just a question of how you allocate your money. Of course Ford is a substantially larger company, and always has been.

The thing is, as you said, Ford is building this for road racing first, then the road second. Ferrari only does this with F1 by choice. Ferrari built the 488 for the road first and racing second - if at all; still TBD. They will make tons of money on it and use it for racing. I doubt Ford makes any money on the GT with the way it is being built. Certainly a tiny fraction of what Ferrari will make on each 488. The buyers will make out though because they should appreciate a ton. Different goals from different companies.

LaFerrari isn't racing; none of the hypercars are...so they better find someone to race against.

; )

I hope you get one man; that would be awesome!

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My bet iot is will be significantly lighter than Ferrari and by design its aero esp downforce will be superior. If you tack a car the Gt will be the way to go, for the street the ferrari may be abetetr option. I see very few 400K cars at the track. Course if Ford made more and sold them for 200kish we would see quite a few at the track.

One othr thing its got going for it, its a ford. To me these days ferrari is so kitch that its negative stigma, like a dentist riding harley

10. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I hope this one comes out of the gate better than the original GT40 did in the sixties. It took Ford a while to beat Ferrari, even with all its money.

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    While Ford started up in 1964 with the GT40 that had a few problems they went 1, 2, 3 in 1966
    at LeMans. 1967, 1968 and 1969 produced wins so convincing that Ferrari took its ball and went home from LeMans forever.....

12. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They did have quite a few problems in the beginning. They had to enlist outside sources to accomplish this if I remember correctly(Shelby, Holman & Moody). The 1966 win(1,2,3) were all MKll's which had 427's in them.

13. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Different times...different technology; alot of the testing can be done virtually through demodulators affixed to the test car. There will always be small fixes i.e the airbag and transaxle bolts recalls on our FGTs. Not bad for a car made ten years ago. I think Ford is putting all the stops on this one.

14. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I could see how speculation might drive sales. It will certainly be interesting to see what happens.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not sure what you are trying to imply with this sentence. They didnt stop competing at Le Mans in 1969.

16. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    He is from Texas that should sum things up. Thinking comes after commenting there

17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    And you live in Michigan and are stupid enough to stay there.

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh they made a token effort in 70- 72 but never again won after Ford thrashed them with the GT40. After 72 they left for good. I "guess"you could call that competing,but their heart wasn't in it. There is talk (probably just talk) of them returning and wouldn't that be cool.,,Ford vs Ferrari again!

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Not sure why... but after the latest price reports of $400k the car suddenly doesn't look as good as it did. The car almost looks cheap. Perhaps I'm expecting more? Or maybe it just doesn't look as good in silver.

Hm.

20. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    hahahahaha nice comeback. Wait so moving out of Michigan would cause my IQ to go up? Can I put a fin on my car and gain 50hp like you did :). Your not smart enough to be sarcastic sorry Charlie.

21. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In general I am not a fan of uber tech in cars, too much seems contrived or designed to make a too heavy car faster for one lap, all at the expense of drivign peasure...

The Gt seems to be one of those cars where all the tech has a defined purpose and it somehow pulls it all together, makign the car betetr aero, weight handling performnce etc. A F16 of cars if you will.

Its a fresh take on the supercar, its design is not heritage its purposeful, really derived from the track, that soemhow makes it way more authentic than any of the current ferraris or lambos, which are dramaticaly styled for effect. heavy and just very powerful.

If Badge is not your driving motivator or irrelevant, then this to me looks to be one of the, if not the most exciting fast cars about. I guess if they want to sell really limited numbers 400k can be supported.

I wish they made more and we could buy one for 250K, its one of the few paddle turbo cars I really would buy because everyhting in it is all of a piece.

23. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    His thread is getting into personal crap! How about staying on topic?

Joe

24. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Excellent post from you as always, Sean.

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Interesting post. The only thing I disagree with is current Ferrari's being styled for looks. They have more aero than ever and now active aero on the "intro model" in the 488.

We also don't know what it weighs yet do we?

At 250k they will make no money. I would bet they make very little at 400k honestly.