Redesigned Lotus Evora. Thoughts?? | FerrariChat

Redesigned Lotus Evora. Thoughts??

Discussion in 'British' started by Flash G, Feb 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #1 Flash G, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Fugly front. I have a friend with a white one that's a few years old, and it's a better looking car.

In honesty, I thought Lotus had already ceased production.

3. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    This Evora is more expensive than the Cayman Gt4..I don't see that working out too well for Lotus.

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wish Tata motors would buy lotus; think they have done well with range rover and jag so I can see them doing well with lotus too.

5. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Like the fact that its now 50lbs lighter and now makes 400hp. My wife's friend just bought a current model in blue. Old model looks way better; new front end looks kitcar/Noble'ish.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Same thoughts..

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    where is the standard trans?

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree, and I can't get excited about the Evora's looks, even the redesigned one. Seems like "desperation facelift" time, with no budget to design a new car.

9. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I think this is on target and will mean more sales. The new car is easier to get in and out of, better interior, has 400hp and is lighter. I would much rather have one than a Cayman S. Probably its biggest competitor is an Alfa 4c. As long as its around 80k I think its a winner. Biggest Lotus problem I see is the Exige S is not street legal here.

Believe it or not Lotus sales have been going up lately globally.

10. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Yes... the numbers on paper look good. It is positioned as a GT4 fighter, but cost/dealer network/reliability will be an issue.

11. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    If they bring the SIII Exige S here, I'll be the first one in line. That may be the *perfect* car.

12. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Never cared for the upper fender air vent integration. Always looked like an afterthought.

13. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf

I like it and think it will sell. Sure, tough competition with Porsche, but there are plenty that want exclusivity, and not to be just 'another' of tens of thousands of new Porsche owners this year. I like Porsches, but at any given cars-and-coffee, there are ten times as many Porsches as any other make, it does seem less 'special'.

14. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Too much unnecessary front air inlets for a mid-engine car in my opinion. But if it helps sell more cars...

Joe

15. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's not going to sell (and I like Lotus). It's too pricey for what it is, and in light of the minimal dealer network and how close price wise it to a Porsche. It was overpriced in 2010, it's overpriced now.

16. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Well I like it and I think it will sell, but probably not without discounting.

>8^)
    ER

17. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Does it still have a Camry engine ?

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I like it to, but with these cars stickering for $80-$95k, and the used ones fetching significantly less (with low miles), Lotus has an uphill battle for a car that has received mixed reviews (looks wise) from buyers and pricing too high.

It's what kept me from buying one, the price is just too high for what it is. This car, IMO, at least the base Evora should have been in the mid-$60k to low $70k range. I'm just sitting on the side letting them depreciate like crazy, and will pick one up with low mileage for cheap.

The Elise brought in a whole new buyer with the lower price, minimalist interior, and great performance. But this "upgraded Elise" (that's what it felt like to me when I drove one) just didn't justify the substantial price increase.

I paid I believe, $52k for an Elise (new, 2005 model in Nov. 2005) fully loaded with every performance option. 4 years later a slightly bigger Elise (Evora) with a 6 cylinder motor, negligibly faster and a backseat big enough for grocery bags (and trunk still useless) but with a $35k price premium, it just didn't make sense.

The Elise prices have crept up, but the price difference between the two cars, in my opinion, made no sense. That's probably why Lotus has had a helluva time moving them off the lots since introduction.

19. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #19 Flash G, Feb 20, 2015
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Think I still like the previous generation Evora. Taken from Cars.com.
    T
    [​IMG]

21. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #21 MITYRARE, Feb 21, 2015
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Everything I've read seems to indicate it's still a Toyota engine in the 400...T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Have long liked the looks of Lotuses (Loti?!?). Anyway, mityrare, how have you found the fit, finish, reliability of your Evora?...T

24. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Then previous shape was much more graceful. The front now is getting closer to a blunt R8 look. I think it's a step in the wrong direction.