New Ford GT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I very much doubt it will be that high. Base MSRP with gas guzzler was $153k. I don't see Ford making that kind of jump to $500k+ unless it were going to be an extremely rare vehicle which I also doubt. I think my estimate of $250k will be about right.

2. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Why? It remains one of the best supercar designs of all time, and it still drives beautifully, even a decade after its debut. Furthermore, I doubt that values will be affected by the new V6 car.

3. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The association between the motor in this car and those in other Ford products is undeniable but it is likely that this could have been even greater if the Mustang motor was used.

Nothing beats the enjoyment of a naturally aspirated motor that loves to rev. Nobody that buys this car will ask a single question about the fuel mileage.

4. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Totally agree with you, but the impetus for the V6 was not fuel mileage, but rather homologation rules for LeMans. The race cars run this very engine.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #55 TheMayor, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    This tread is in the wrong category. 600HP from a V6 is not "American Muscle". That's a European ballet slipper.

Just what the world needs

A look alike Aventador with a McLaren engine and a Ford logo.

Or maybe the world doesn't need it?

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Who said American Muscle had to be a V8? What about the Buick Grand National? The Prowler?

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Sign of the times I guess... American sports cars used to always imply a big thirsty engine.

Perhaps this whole section should just be renamed to "American" under Other Cars...

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Intersting design with lots of derivative pieces. As a road car I would want a V8 and a stick. Too mnay cars built today with paper specs, that is the mistake Mclaren made with the Mp12, a laggy mtoor, relatively uneventul to drive car.

Does seem like ts going to be bery light which is a huge plus.

Ford seems wed to the turbo V6 even the new Raptor is a turbo V6 in my estimation for a raptor this is a huge eror, its an emotive machine.

As to the Zora, if its 3200lbs(which may well be heavier than the ford) 650-700hp V8 and maybe a stick for under 150K that is a far more appealing car.

Gt350r looks hot though.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

well put. But since its really boutique car limited prod yad yada it will sell, esp as there is so much hype about how the prior GT went up in value, unlimited specualtors will want this one, at least the first 1000 or so units..

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    The last one went up in value because it was one of the last analog monsters before everything had flappy paddles.

The paper specs are what sell the cars... Lots of dentists out there that base their shopping off a list of 0-60 times... but the "fun to drive" is where the future value holds up.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I agree, fun to drive=future value. And yeah lots of dentists readin 0-60 times. So maybe as a used cara few years out it will be bargain.

As to the wisdom of the TTV6, mihgt make sense for a racing version, but the Jag 220 Bombed when they went TTV6 instead of a 12. The V8 esp a flat plane big bore one would be a usp.

I like the design of the car, even though its ahodge podge of derivative bits, the interiror is sort of a love child between a 458 and 650s once again derivative.

12. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Don't know who is smoking what products, but this car won't be half a million. MSRP was $149k on the last one. Obviously this car will have a lot of carbon fiber and other improvements, but it's still going to be a Ford, and likewise I would expect ~$200,000.

What dealers mark up to will be another story, though. I do like the rumors that Ford will only ship cars with paid orders, but I doubt that will be true. The last Ford GTs sat on lots with giant markups for months and in some cases years before they sold.

Also I like how the car they unveiled lacks stripes, which proliferate among American performance cars and IMO are a little cheesy.

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Walter, My hope is Ford will decide to compete with Corvette and the GT is the perfect vehicle to do this!

Best

Lee

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree but my feeling is the new car with 600hp will tarnish the cars value somewhat.
    We will see.

I sold my car because after 9 years it was getting stale to me, but still a great car as you point out.

I sold the car for more than I paid for it new. Great timing and I prefer the new design and the higher hp.

There is no right or wrong in this it is just what a person likes. Got to drive the car first to see for sure.

Best

Lee

15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    absolutely amazing job by the ford team
    bravo
    just hope they make as many as the customers want to buy

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A well spec'd 2004 Gallardo came in around $180-190K in 2004. Now a well spec'd one is $280-300K. I'd expect no less than $250K for this car when it comes out. Cars are just more expensive now than they used to be. I'd be shocked if it was $200K.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Very cool design. Rear is a home run.

Suspicious of the v6, but ready to be blown away.

Wish the price point were lower...would actually consider one.

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Funny thing is mine has a whipple and is 700 hp -100 more than the new one. HP alone won't be a challenge to the old values.
    My bet is the car specs out at 300k with dealers adding another 100k on it..they are supposedly only making 1200 worldwide so that's a pretty rare car. Damn it sure is pretty though !

19. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I agree on the home run. Just enough hints of the past, but a step forward for sure. That fact that they're racing this one is even more appealing. I applaud my fellow Americans in creating this car.

20. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I think it looks great. I think the flat crank v8 would have sounded great, but the ttv6 makes more sense for endurance racing.

A search of "Ecoboost Daytona Prototype" on YouTube will confirm that Ford have been running the 3.5ttv6 for a year, including a 12 hour Sebring win. Fuel economy, power, and reliability seem to be there. Pretty exciting times for us.

21. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I like it, but don't love it. I still prefer the 2005-06 body much better, which looks cleaner to me. In person it might be a different story though.

22. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Ford is building the new GT to go racing. Rumored 300 units per year and 1,200 max worldwide. Ford would be crazy to price these at $250k, as the market would easily pay $500k and up. 75% less units built (1200 vs 4000) total. Ford built too many last time and charged too little. They have learned. Also, a paddle shift supercar has a larger audience as anyone will be able to drive it.

23. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Bravo Ford, bravo. Aesthetically might be the best looking supercar I've ever seen. Need a close-up, but wow just wow.

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree, from what I've seen its prettier than the LaFerrari. The interior....err not so much.

25. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale