Starting Jiu Jitsu | FerrariChat

Starting Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ktr6, Jun 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have been getting in shape just for the fun of it over the last three months. Dropped about 25lbs with diet and exercise. I have been looking for a sport to use to train with a purpose. I enjoy the gym but have always been goal driven and enjoy learning as I train.

I have always wanted to try a martial art but none of the options in my town seemed like a good fit. Low and behold a traditional Brazilian jiu jitsu (only, not MMA) facility just opened and I'm debating getting started. I'm 37, decent shape, low flexibility and this facility seems to have good credentials. Am I too old for this? Any tips on getting started? Any advice or caution? Appreciate any advice.

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Never too old ...plus 37 is still young ...do for it and keep us updated

3. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hitting the mat this Wednesday in a 2 hour beginner/white belt class.

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Agree you're never too old. Good luck and have fun.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    You'll b fine. Do lots of stretching before especially shoulders & keep Advil handy for afterwards :)

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I started BJJ at 40 - I would make one BIG suggestion. Work you butt off to resist using strength over technique.

At 43, I suffered a ruptured distal biceps tendon in my left arm. Required surgery to reattach, and although I was cleared to continue, I was sufficiently spooked enough to back off a little. I was training for the Pan Ams, and in my hubris, I was going at it hard with a much stronger opponent.

Long story short, it's an age related injury. Would never have happened had I applied proper technique instead of powering through the move. It's a COMMON injury in BJJ...because you get a lot of testosterone and stupidity in the tatame.

Otherwise, I know of no better exercise and stress reliever. I am a 25+ year weightlifter, former competitive bodybuilder, and I've run 5Ks, etc. I love Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, you may find yourself addicted to it!

Best of luck!

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  9. Apex IX

Apex IX Rookie

Jan 19, 2009
    Never too old to train. I'm 52 years old at 155lbs soaking wet. Been training 3-4 days a week for 2 years. Just leave your ego at the door and don't become discouraged it is long process to become proficient. Enjoy the journey.

10. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    What do you guys think about starting at 80. The class will take me for free and I will work out only woith the instructor. They may want to boast that an 80 year old can do it. My family doesnt like it but I am leaning towards doing it.

11. curtisfisher

curtisfisher Rookie

Dec 7, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Curtis Fisher
    I train a client who is into jiu jitsu and it contemplating on giving it up because of all the joint pains that he experiences from fighting. He is 50 years old but in pretty good shape.

My advice would be to keep hitting the weights and supplement in order to strengthen your body and beware of the overzealous younger fighters who don't practice control.

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ take a stretching class

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    If you choose to do - go for it!

It's very rigorous, but so long as you are medically cleared, I see nothing wrong with it. The great Helio Gracie practiced into his 80s, so it's not unheard of.

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    At 80 I would suggest Aikido, Tai Chi, or shooting :)

I plan on starting parachuting after 70 LOL

15. Rude86

Rude86 Rookie

Oct 5, 2014
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have been doing bjj for around 3-4 years now and I make a very delibrate decision to stretch during the day as much as I can. It is very important not only for your body in day to day activities but even more important for bjj where your joints and body are being manipulated in a way to hurt you.

starting at 80 is very brave! good luck!

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I Trained BJJ for 12 years. I started back in the late '90's before I was married. I lived it , slept it, ate it, dreampt it. It was so deep in my blood. I retired as a Brown belt looking to be a Black Belt soon. I hate to say, I did get burned out. It sucks you in DEEP. Joint pains, neck and back pains are all a part of it and may last a lifetime. That being said, It was the best workout I ever had. In my prime and till this day, I feel invincible toward a protective situation.
    I've been boxing for years now and it's not the same. I consider going back to BJJ for the recreation aspect of it, but I wonder if it's worth it at 47 with the pains I go thru now?

17. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    It's worth it and you know it.

Go back and invest 3-5 years and get that black belt. Then stop if you want. We will all be sore and beaten up when we are 80. At least you can look at a bjj black belt on your wall while they are changing your Depends.

I'll be 40 this year and just finished a massage from a sore back from yesterday. Worth it? Hell yeah. After two years with this school I tapped my professor yesterday for the first time. Sore today but happy. You will be too. Get it going old man. Haha

18. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It's taken me a while to get going but my first lesson is Thursday. Can't wait, hopefully I will survive unhurt.

19. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    as others have said, plenty of sustained stretching will be of major benefit. Some deep cycle Chi Kung breathing to boost internal organs also beneficial. On the mat it's not about strength, but technique & leverage :) Enjoy !

20. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Well, did my first lesson last week and the best way to describe it is I felt like I was drowning. So much information to learn and it's really difficult to get things to flow when you have a person 50 lbs heavier on top of you. Learned some basics of arm trap/rolls, Americana, triangle choke, and different kinds of guard. Amazing how the instructor could control me at all times no matter what I tried to counter with. We finished with some Muay Thai which was fun as well. Very excited, I have been watching videos and thinking about it ever since. I dare say it's just as exciting as racing cars. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

21. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #21 Huskerbill, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    I'm a little surprised that they paired you up with someone 50lbs bigger than you and that you rolled on your first lesson. My schools I've trained at don't let someone roll their first week so they don't feel completely overwhelmed.

But, yeah, it's crazy when you roll that first time and feel controlled by another person. A little foreign to feel that as a guy. I'll never forget one of our white belts after class was like "it was scarythe first time I rolled. almost like 'Holy crap this guy could sexually assault me right now and I couldn't do anything about it". While it was an extreme description, it sort of is eye opening like that to be held in a position and feel powerless to get away.

Glad you've started training. I turned 40 yesterday and am excited to now be able to say that I'm 40-something and still train bjj with UFC and Bellator guys. Something cool about sitting on a couch watching an MMA fight and telling your sons "daddy rolled with that guy a few weeks ago". And when they ask if I ever subbed him being able to say "yeah i have".

;-)

22. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Bump.

Who's been training lately?

23. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have, still with it. Training at Alliance and really enjoying it.

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I signed my 8 year old son up at AOJ six months ago. I am reliving it thru him right now. He loves it and is excelling so quickly.

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've been off and on. Need to get back consistently, but that will be hard with all the soccer coaching I'm doing currently.

My nephew started judo (which I trained with my bjj), that had me excited to get back in the mats more frequently.