FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I was going to post this in Farmer Dave's thread but I thought it would be cool and perhaps inspirational for all if more of us participated here with our goals and results. I'm happy since FERRARI-TECH has been my silent partner. He is ahead of me and we have been texting our results back and forth. His tips have been really cool and helpful. :)

I'll start: I'm 50 and have been on a diet since age 10. My weight chart would look like a mile long sine wave if I had one LOL. I've lost and gained the same 40-60 pounds probably 20X. Almost 90 days ago, after my favorite uncle's heart literally exploded at age 82, I had a couple episodes of fatigue, nausea and dizziness that felt like nothing I've ever felt so I decided not to do it for just X amount of days and count calories until I reach a certain weight like I have always done but rather make (mostly) what I know to be clean food choices, drastically cut carbs and exercise hard every other day (and lightly on the others) for as long as I can walk without a cane... a "Life choice" rather than a "Death choice", if you will? ;) I'm rowing and working a bag one day and doing ab slides, squats and push-ups the next. I could do more but I can live with what I'm doing and don't want to burn out or get hurt. I'm rowing 7.5K in 36 min now and will work myself up to 10K in <45 min before too long, then see if I can realistically add to it then.

It was a life choice, not a whim or goal for some random event. I had lost 40# as of a few weeks ago but haven't weighed myself lately (and might not) but I've already gone from a tight size 40 to a very loose size 38 since I started and lost one of the "X's" off my shirt size. I think I will be happy fitting comfortably in size 36 jeans but would like to be in 34's if I can maintain it without killing myself. While I didn't always do it before, now, 99/100 times when I say to myself, "F it, I'll exercise tomorrow" and chow down and drink, I look down (at my feet cause I can :)) and change my mind. I'm really excited to see how I'm going to look when summer arrives. I won't kill myself for a washboard because I know I'll never maintain it but it will be a blast while it lasts if I ever get there. LOL

Next? :D :D

2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I like the subtle way you drag me into this....!!!

I'm looking at this the same way... I'm 45 and cant go back to how I was at 30 when I was playing soccer 3 times a week, riding Motocross twice a week and riding a mountain bike to and from work (5 miles each way) everyday, and then on the Rowing machine 45 min every night :( I weighed about 165-170.

Last Oct right after Hockey started I felt like ****, and weighed 201....

I started walking/jogging about 20 min before work, then 30 min on rowing machine followed by another walk jog in the evening.

Stepped it up to a 3 mile hike/run in the morning, and 40-45 min on the rowing machine in the evening.

Got down to 183-185 before the holidays...and put about 4-5 of those back on over Christmas as food/alcohol intake went up and exercise went down.

Back at it this week, My new German Shepard pup is helping and going to be great motivation as 3 mile run in the morning is what he needs and he doesn't even break a sweat...

Rowed 7500 meters in 33:59 2 days ago...like Darth goal in 10k in 45min which I've done before many moons ago..

Staying away from the beer during the week ( I cheat at Kings games), eating salad and fruit and trying to stay off the bread...

Trying not to do exercise that will build muscle ( weights etc ). I think the key is going to be steady, consistent moderate exercise as apposed to going all out for 3 months and then stopping ( which I am guilty of once a year for the last 5 years ).

Goal is to be 175-180 and maintain it.....not sure what a realistic time frame is.....

3. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'll jump in here too. Turned 45 this past summer and hit my all time high in weight after a month of travel, mainly in Africa on safari. FINALLY got the impetus to drop some weight. Walk/run my dog on a pretty steep hill about 3.5 miles per day and write down everything I eat (thank you myfitnesspal). Also basically stopped eating anything that comes from a bag or a box. Turns out pretzels are my personal heroin. I started at Labor Day and dropped 40lbs by Thanksgiving. Stayed even through the holidays and am now ready to drop the final 20lbs. My goal is 165lbs - the weight at which I last played club soccer.

It's not easy, but once I committed to it, it hasn't been ALL that hard, either. Less weekday alcohol, no refined sugars, a lot less carbs, more fruit and vegetables and protein, some exercise, and a realization that I just plain eat portions that were too large!

4. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations to darth-550 and ferrari-tech - I know what this is like!!!

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, Up until I started this I had rediscovered my love for beer again. :)

6. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thank you and let's do this!!! :)

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Darth/Ferrari-Tech,

Well done boys. Well done.

I made a decision to really get myself back in shape about a year and a half ago. Like Darth said, it's a life choice, not a short term thing. I never watched a single thing I ate before, but now I do and might be in the best shape of my life. I'm trying to cut another 5-10 pounds. When I do, I'm pretty sure I'll be right where I want to be.

Honestly, the last 5-10lbs of fat are a vanity thing, which is really unlike me, but I've never had a good six pack, and I'm almost there. Almost!

:)

Keep it up gentlemen.

Mark

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Congrats to the both of you. I'll gladly join this challenge see to make sure all stay on track. 40 lbs is my goal.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    2.5 years ago I dropped 70 pounds and have have never looked back. Quit cigars,
    quit all the "bad foods" - and couldn't be happier. Anne and I still still hit the
    gym every day. Healthy living is a WONDERFUL THING and I applaud anyone
    who attempts and succeeds at it.... JOIN THIS CHALLENGE. You won't regret it

Jedi

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I made a long post in another thread, perhaps a few weeks ago.

I am 46, and 5'9". I have dropped from 175 to 150 through a very intensive schedule with a personal trainer over the past 3 months or so, and some big changes in diet. I can now play hockey three times a week without feeling sick/nauseous after an hour on the ice. It is an absolute revelation. I am trying to build back to 160, carefully.

I work with a trainer 3 hours a week (Mon, Wed, Thurs), and work out at the gym for an additional 2 hours (Tue, Fri), play a lot of hockey, and work with a baseball coach on weekday nights to help with my batting. My diet involves switching from a ton of crap, to a ton of veggies/greek yogurt/protein bars/etc. I currently consume about 1800-2100 calories per day, with almost 130 grams of protein. I have never felt better! The highlight of my journey so far, was ordering smaller gear from Under Armor and it actually looks pretty damn good. I have essentially no "belly fat" anymore, moderately defined shoulders and biceps, and (now) solid legs.

I'm back to my high-school weight, but with more overall strength and endurance. It's a hell of a good feeling.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice work Daniel! :)

what's the G&T regiment?

how do you get your 130 grams of protein...I've started lifting 3-4 days a week, and on those days I need to get ~150 grams of protein...all I do is eat and drink protein shakes...its ridiculous.

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #12 joker57676, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    I eat a ton of eggs and chicken. Egg substitutes work great too. I've started baking egg whites in muffin tins to snack on during the day.

Tuna steaks are great too.

Mark

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's basically me...3 eggs and some chicken for breakfast, chicken sandwich and cottage cheese for lunch, protein drink, workout, more protein drink, chicken, tuna or steak for dinner....

I'll try the muffin tin trick.

14. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Eggs, greek yogurt, a ton of Quest bars, and some MetRX bars. The trick with the bars is to get the protein but not too much sugar.

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Do you have a Vitamix? It's a great tool to get a lot of healthy things into your system. I make ice cream with kale and protein powder that tastes great.

16. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Glad to see we have hockey players here. Didnt know there were rinks in Winston Salem. I play 4x a week on 4 teams. Two games being dek with 20 and 30 y/o which is a lot of running. I also do crossfit 3x a week. I have noticed a difference since increasing my protein intake.

I get my protein from yogurt ,boiled eggs, chicken fish and protein shakes( low sodium and sugar) . I use Dymatize Elite xt. I'm 48

17. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +++ on the vitamix. Awesome machine. Kale, Spinach, Beans - blend them all into green smoothies!!!

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    can't stand greek yogurt (it's a texture thing...I think).

Nancy eats Quest bars like it's her job :)

tonight I'm grilling up some NY strips :D

I use the Blue Bonnet whey protein, which is supposedly the "cleanest".

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Try the ice cream

Couple good squirts of agave liquid
    A few ounces of half and half
    *****Blue Bonnet whey protein powder ;) :D :D :D
    quarter to half an avocado (or banana if you prefer)
    Big handful of spinach or kale
    2 cups ice

I always put the liquid at the bottom for this or smoothies

Go! :)

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    BTW, I did not break 36 min on my 7.5K row today but I have a plan ;) :)

21. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    So great thread, glad to read more into it. When I started college I hit my highest weight ever of 245lbs. Trust me though it's not as bad as it looks with my frame. I hit the gym like a mad man and cut down on my portions to hit the scale under 180lbs. I ran 10km twice a day at around 52minutes for 10km. The craziest thing I ever did was plan a run before a spin class. 1:15 before a spin class I ran a 10km followed by a short cool down followed by a full one hour spin class.

The past two years or so have been really odd and needless to say my weight has come back. Reasons are simple as my hockey career has basically stopped (used to play 4-5 times a week) and with travelling comes eating/boozing. This has been planned for awhile as I align some things. Looking to start my work out in February with a goal of 40-50 lbs.

Will keep you all updated and lets build some motivation off eachother.

22. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Find a beer league (but skip the locker room beer), and you'll be amazed at how much weight you can drop. One of the key elements for me, was to get home from a game and *NOT* raid the 'fridge. Drink some water or a protein shake, but don't pound back the cold pizza... a miracle will happen.

Get this: I'm now shopping for new hockey pants because my old ones are too big! Now that is some seriously crazy stuff. One the flip side, my endurance is vastly superior and I can skate a 3 minute shift hard, without trouble. At the end of an hour game, I'm naturally tired (mentally and physically), but certainly not 'walking dead' like I used to be.

One of these days, we should arrange an FCHAT hockey game and see how many folks could travel in for a great weekend on the ice in Toronto or something.

23. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    We had an amazing level beer league that had players in the Juniors, OHL/AHL, NCAA, and even the NHL. We had 2-3 seasons of amazing competitive hockey. It's just so damn expensive in this area 500 cdn will buy you one season on one team. 3 times a week your looking minimum 1500.

That is super cool, mine are getting tight lol. My under-armour appearance looks worse then ever! It's such a fun way to get into shape, especially when the caliber is at a nice level.

The Fchat hockey game would be quite crazy.

24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That's ok Darth! You gave it a solid effort and I'm sure you can make it happen in 36 if you push just that little bit more.

25. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I... I just... I, uh... does not compute. :D
    I'll offer my help if geographically, hosting the game in Dallas Fort Worth might help attendance. There are no less than 5 ice hockey facilities within a 20 minute drive of DFW airport. Even though I don't live in DFW any more, I still talk weekly with the management of one of the rinks and could easily swing us a deal for off-peak ice time. I could even bring out a bunch of friends if we don't quite get enough FChatters to flesh out a bench or two.

Just an idea. Put me on the list of attendees to invite, regardless of where!