NASCAR 2014 | Page 26 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2014

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Jan 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I left with a very empty feeling at the end of the race yesterday. I think nascar may have finally jumped the shark for me. take that for what it's worth but I have and will always be a racer. I try to enjoy all forms of racing and truly hope for all their success but this nascar joke has gone far enough. sad because there has been such a rich history of the sport...now a true joke!!! fix that brian france...:)

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree.

sad, I used to love NASCAR...the era I grew up watching (mid 80s to late 90s) was truly epic. now it's reality TV. sad.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Half assed, no, but there is an extra level out there and teams save those engines/parts for times of great need.

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the teams that run at that level all the time are winning championships.

;)

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    NASCAR officially SUCKS!!

Everyone involved who "signed off" on this current format should be fired!

6. ferraripete

can't fire them...they are all made men.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Welcome to 1987!

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  9. ferraripete

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think more interesting than how much they pay (I agree, they won't pay what Sprint has, if they're smart) is WHO will pay it...if Fortune 500 companies are shying away from title sponsors (Sprint, Nationwide, etc), who's left?

honestly it needs to be a stable blue chip consumables brand, and there are precious few of those....McDonalds, Coke, Pepsi, Mars, etc.

11. ferraripete

you know chas, this was exactly my thinking. remember when you have to be a fortune 500 to compete for space on a Winston cup car....now you can be a primary in the sprint cup series if you are Denver mattress!!!

I wonder if the waffle house or denny's may have a shot as the replacement for sprint? :)

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm convinced part of the appeal for NASCAR buying IMSA was to eliminate the competition for Fortune 500 sponsors...make sports car racing unappealing enough to ensure the sponsors stay in the big show.

of course, that doesn't happen if the economics of the big show don't make sense any more.

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Comcast must be opening an artery now that they've stepped up to sponsor the
    Grand National Series and then this announcement.

Whatever company steps up, you can bet it will be one of the major com's or pharma's
    as they're the only ones left interested in racing with deep enough pockets.

Their PR shills are likely lined up in the halls of the fake wood paneled offices in Daytonner already.

And, absolutely right about NASCAR buying into sports car racing in order to gain/drain
    the sponsor dollars out of that and into the NASCAR coffers.

Once they've bled this little sports car project dry and gotten a manufacturer or two to
    move over to "The Show", they'll dismiss sports car racing like a red headed step child.

BHW

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I doubt that, it's been widely known (or at least, "rumored") that Sprint wasn't going to be back for at least a year; also, Comcast owns NBC Sports, who just signed the NASCAR rights deal, so my guess is terms of this agreement were pretty favorable.

15. ferraripete

sure...and that is another reason why DW and his buddies have been over the moon excited about the unbelievable drama the new chase format has produced...lol...gotta sell it.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ;)

TV has to hype the you know what out of it, because they overpaid up front; and NASCAR needs them to over hype things because that's the only hope they have of generating any sort of ratings, so they can justify the next broadcast rights deal.

god forbid the man behind the curtain is exposed...

and to be honest, I feel the same way about the NFL; it's so over hyped and over done, it's almost unwatchable; but somehow keeps getting the ratings.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    What he said!

The NFL is almost unwatchable now. Where they're pulling their ratings is anyone's
    guess. Did read the other day that Monday Night Football is now losing out to some
    vampire TV show.

Remember the days when MNF was a special treat?

BHW

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OT, perhaps, but I humbly disagree, in part. I think NFL has been great (on field) this year - competitive as heck, lots of upsets, emergence of new teams, seasoned vets still playing at the top level, etc. I do agree that the prime time games have, on average, disappointed. Wish NFL could figure a way to move more compelling games into prime time as the season develops...T

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've only watched the prime time (SNF and MNF) games, and they've been pretty lackluster.

but more importantly is the packaging...the games are too long (3+ hours), with too many interruptions, overhyped announcers, and most of the conversation about the game (both in game and pre/post game) is about individual stats and fantasy nonsense, not the teams or standings or other things that matter ;)

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Guy...Agree with you on pre/post game shows. Way too long. I only turn games on right @ kickoff, & shut off once clock hits zeros. I do, however, enjoy Gruden on MNF. I don't know what the heck he's yakking about half the time, but he's passionate for the game, and I like that...T

21. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I've never heard of that. Are you saying they have public frequencies that are published and a secondary, secret frequency where someone can whisper in the driver's ear? Surely someone would have recorded and leaked the exchanges.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #647 BartonWorkman, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Observing a NASCAR car closely, notice the antennas on the roof (or sometimes
    in the interior).

There are two distinctly different antennas, one a short thin antenna which would be
    used for driver to pit communications which we are all familiar with.

The other antenna is a much thicker gauge (winding) which normally would be for
    transmitting data. But, since NASCAR bans transmission of data, this antenna is a split
    frequency radio antenna, virtually impossible to tap in on, used by NASCAR's infamous
    "Race Control" team which sits high above the track in a locked room as they've been
    doing for years now.

Let's not kid ourselves, NASCAR races are as heavily manipulated as any choreographed
    ballet or WWE wrestling match. That farce of a finale at Homestead this year was
    proof enough of that.

BHW

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Correction, the games are now 4+ hours in duration. They've taken a great game that, when we were
    kids took two hours to play and doubled that time. And, if observing the post-season NFL meetings
    where the owners and NFL officials get together to set their course, they're looking for ways to make
    the games even longer with more time-outs (if that is possible), longer time outs, a suggested one or
    three minute warning to supplement the absurd two minute warning, all this.

A lot of this is at the behest of the networks which are paying billions for the rights to broadcast NFL
    games and they're looking to block in more advertising in order to pay the NFL's outrageous demands.

The hype is beyond belief now. No sooner is the Super Bowl over than they're already off and running
    promoting the next season. The NFL's news cycle is 24/7/365 without let up now as they've granted
    their broadcast partners another 500 hours of air time and of course networks like ESPN are eating
    this up with a spoon.

Its almost become painful to watch.

There are a couple of adages of marketing 101, "Over exposure cheapens the product" and
    "If the product is weak, over hype". The NFL and NASCAR have both fallen into this trap as
    nothing can live up to all of this canned hype nonsense.

BHW

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007