Who Knows which California Spyder was owned by Alain Delon ?? | FerrariChat

Who Knows which California Spyder was owned by Alain Delon ??

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Impuls2000, Nov 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Impuls2000

Impuls2000 Rookie

Jul 23, 2005
    Duesseldorf
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Werner
    Hi,

I saw a picture of Alain Delon sitting in a California Spyder together with Jane Fonda in a Monaco registred California. Does anybody know which chassis number the car has got !
    Hope that someone can help.

All the very best,

Max

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hallo Herr Werner
    Delon besass das Auto nicht. Er sass nur für Fotoaufnahmen kurz rein. Grüssen Sie Ihren Vater.
    Marcel Massini

Dear Mr. Werner
    Delon never owned the car. He just sat in the car for the shooting. Please say hello to your father.
    Marcel Massini

3. Impuls2000

Impuls2000 Rookie

Jul 23, 2005
    Duesseldorf
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Werner
    Hallo Herr Massini,

wissen Sie dennoch welche Chassisnummer dieses Auto besitzt ???

Würde mich sehr über Ihre Hilfe freuen !

Max

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Delon's car was a late SWB California. I have no idea who owned the car when he was using it, but would think he should have been able to afford one. I also have a pretty good idea about the chassis number but would like to find a side view before making a claim. Best wishes, Kare

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #5 Marcel Massini, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Alain Delon did NOT own a 250 GT SWB California. He just SAT in one for the photo shooting. It was either 3021 GT of French writer Françoise Sagan or 3095 GT of German playboy Gunter Sachs. Most probably 3095 GT because that was painted darkblue at the time (I have color photos of 1965) and that would more or less match with the bw photos known.

Marcel Massini

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #6 El Wayne, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  8. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    Also I would doubt that Françoise Sagan's car would have a Monaco license plate...

9. Olimpi

Olimpi Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    Full Name:
    David D. Olimpi
    Delon owned a 250GT PF Cabriolet Series II. I want to say that it was metallic gray.

10. mdsaxon

mdsaxon Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    S.W. Florida
    was definitely a looker back in the day. Have met her a few times in Atlanta and she's very pleasant.

11. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Right then... with the world getting increasingly excited about the discovery of what is allegedly 'Alain Delon's' 250 California (I understand there is absolutely no proof of this whatsoever - correct me if I'm wrong), I'd be interested to hear Marcel's view on what 2935GT really is.

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Artcurial say they have one of his (French registered) France/Monde | Un incroyable trésor de 60 autos de grandes marques mis au jour

Beneath piles of newspapers, they discovered a Ferrari 250GT SWB
    California Spider, with covered headlights. It had been bought new by the actor Gérard Blain, then sold to fellow actor Alain
    Delon, who was photographed several times at the wheel of this machine, including in 1964 with Jane Fonda during the filming
    of ‘Les Félins’ and on the Côte d’Azur with Shirley MacLaine.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, I've seen this, but until Artcurial has a proof, I remain cautious vis-a-vis their claim. If Marcel Massini could shed some light on this...

Rgds

14. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The discovery of this car is yet another example of secondary sources being treated as primary sources by the media and the public.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, furthermore I know that rural France may have some pretty barren places, but I find it hard to believe that 60 cars may have been there in half open sheds for forty years without no-one knowing of these...
    As for the 250 California, it would not be difficult to state clearly what s/n it has, and from which documents they state that it indeed belonged to Alain Delon once.

Rgds

16. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I've asked the question - we'll see what evidence Artcurial produces.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The same than the one they sent me when I asked about the "308 GTS Vetroresina prototype" which they had for sale 6 months ago, perhaps ( = there is no known such thing as a 308 GTS in glass fibre: all GTS have steel bodies):

"Dear Sir, thank you for your enquiry; unfortunately, said car has no visible serial number in the usual places, no serial number on the chassis member in the engine compartment, no serial number on the steering column and no assembly number anywhere either, but it is a genuine Ferrari prototype that is in the process of being certified by knowledgeable experts"...

Rgds

And I should add that personally I would place no additonal value whatsoever on the car should it be established that it has indeed belonged to Alain Delon.
    it is just that I like claims to be substancied, that's all...

18. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It seems that since this thread was started in '08, the history chain has been uncovered.

Artcurial has exactly what it claims to have. Astonishing.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Confirmed? Really? Bulletproof? With chassis number, proof of Delon ownership, etc?

Rgds

20. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Delon did own this chassis s/n. That is now on record. The only question after that would be whether the car found is the car with that chassis s/n. It seems to be beyond reasonable doubt that it is - should be seeing docs to prove the latter very soon.

21. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Artcurial: 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider Chassis 2935 Ex Alain Delon Baillon Collection Estimate : 9 500 000 – 12 000 000 €

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks

23. vincent

vincent Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    #24 vincent, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, but without a picture of the chassis number plate, it be anything, even a replica...
    I simply just can't understand why someone claiming to have such a car does not post, first and foremost, a picture of the plate with the chassis number. That would settle all discussion once and for all.

Rgds