Ford GT crushes Ferrari in resale value.... | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Ford GT crushes Ferrari in resale value....

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Kayvan, Aug 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Also, I'll never forget the time in Dearborn, MI, over by the proving grounds, when my friend and I came across two Ford engineers out in a FGT doing some testing, it was silver with RED stripes. Looked incredible !!!

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    What hp is that and what year were they made?

I have a 2013 Shelby Mustang that is 665hp and I love that car, altho the technical underpinnings are not high tech. it is still a great fun car.

Best

Lee

3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Shelby American upgrade, Lee ...

Shelby American Inc.

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My problem with the heritage cars (not that anyone cares)... Is two things...

One... It is one of the most common cars built if not the most common GT. (thats my favorite thing about limited editions, they are typically the most plentiful)

Two... They got the damn colors wrong! Very few people ever pick up on this. The blue is the wrong shade as is the orange... So I personally see it as a poor execution of what they were trying to duplicate... They really missed the mark. They had the right idea... and then... blew it.

5. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Actually, Heritage production numbers accounted for only 8.4% of total FGT production. 327 cars....that's it. There were far more red, white, and black cars.

6. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Not to go too far off topic since this is a Ford GT thread but . . . . . I've a 2014 GT500 and I frankly thought that MSRP was pretty high for that car . . . until I test drove it and became enamored by the torque. Now that I own one and drive it daily, it's a fantastic car. But I also know that the cars modified by Shelby American cost a lot. SA really charges big $$$ for the Super Snake etc upgrades - far in excess of what it would cost to have a competent shop duplicate efforts. I'm guessing that 25% is parts and labor and the remaining 75% is Shelby legacy plus a bunch of KR or Super Snake emblems in and around the car.

Hell, with our GT500's, getting close to 800 hp at the crank is little more than a pulley swap, throttle body upgrade, and re-map away. Not that I even want to as the stock car is plenty quick enough, and amazingly docile around town.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    ISo we do not get the rasberries :) I bought a 2005 Ford GT new and kept it for 8 years. I just traded it in on the big lambo. The FGTs are great drivers cars, I loved mine.

Have a great holiday mark.

Best

Lee

8. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I'm making about 700 hp w just the ECU tune alone. That and drag radials have made it more beastly, but no less docile.

9. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    You as well Lee. Happy New Year.

Traded a GT in on a Aventador? Man, I don't think I could've done that. For me, a GT probably would be buy n' hold car. It's just a fantastic automobile with classic-inspired styling. Not that an Aventador isn't a great car . . . even though it's a Lambo and not a Ferrari ;)

Are you in north FL by chance? I live just south of Jax in PV.

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I understand your point. My point was a bit more focused...

In 06 they built 343. They only built 5 more red cars in 06 and 541(total) Tungsten cars in 06.

They produced less of every other color in 06.

In 2005 they built more white and built more red cars. but less of every other color.

Further more if you take into account options (seeing as there are only 4 options on the car (actually I think 6 if you count "delete options") I don't think its too crazy to count options... Unlike a Mopar or a Camaro where you argue over well mines the only black 350 ss 4 speed with houndstooth, cigareete lighter, console gauges with headrests AND deluxe seatbelts... that had white stripes... and rally wheels...)

There are PROBABLY more unique or rare red cars or white cars in 05 or 06 when you take into account options.

So my point is there are 343 identical 06 heritage cars. But I doubt there are 343 identical 06 red cars and a slim possibility of 343 tungsten cars. So by my weird way of looking at things... they are the most prevelant. BUT... to be honest... my whole rant could be inaccurate... I thought all of the Heritage cars were built one way minus caliper color.

I have never seen "personally" another red stripe delete non forged wheel car which I used to own (also had calipers and mac) Of the 4 that I have owned... I thought I would like it the least but it was my fav by far. Not a fan of the red cars... but with stripe delete they become my favorite! And I am a stripe guy!

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I did headers & STILLEN exhaust & she breaks traction much easier now

I don't want to add lots of power cus of overheating issues I've heard of w big power GTs

12. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    No, just 4 options, Mac, stripes, wheels, calipers. The "stripe delete" would be a 3 option car.

I love the stripe delete. My Quicksilver non stripe '05 is only one of about a dozen so equipped. Far rarer than almost any other combo, esp the Heritage! I understand what you were saying.

13. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I was referring to 700 HP in my 2013 Shelby GT500. It would take a pulley and tune to get to that power level with a FGT.

Iwent the Whipple route with the FGT, and later swapped that for twin turbos. 205 mph on pump gas at theTexas Mile, 7000 street miles, and no cooling issues at all, though I'm not road racing it on a 100 degree day. Getting rid of the blower's parasitic drag helps. A lot.

14. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Just received a tickler from Symbolic in California. They have a 2006 FGT, red with all four options and just 49 miles on the odo. Asking price is $349,000. Yikes!

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    $400k if it was Heritage

16. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    WOW!

Ford GTs still rising...early commenters appear comical /delusional or just wrong.

GULF Heritage $500K
    GT near $250K
    Salvage $150K...more than new MSRP!

17. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Actually anyone paying $500k for an FGT is quite possibly delusional

18. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Lamborghini Houston had an '06 Heritage advertised here for $849k!!

I commented and the post was changed to "inquire for price"

Hey, if they can get it and you happen to own an FGT, that is GREAT news!!
    If you want one, but don't think the prices are realistic, it kinda' sucks...

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Damn :)

That's near F40 $

Don't see that happening

20. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Anyone have a copy of "Rebuilding a Race Car Legend-Ford GT40"?

Found a copy of it on YouTube but it isn't in English.

21. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Average Ford GT prices in 5 years will be north of 500k for cars below 3k miles.

22. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What makes you think that? Just curious.

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The movie GO LIKE HELL based on GT40 story may help drive prices up after it comes out

I hear Tom Cruise plays Shelby & Brad Pitt is in it too

Want to see Pacino or DeNiro as Enzo

24. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Tom Cruise playing Shelby is a joke.

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Everytime I think about the GT bubble about to burst (from $170k in Summer 2012 to $270k or whatever now for a regular 5k mile car) because of the rapid appreciation and the high production numbers (4,000+), I think about the Dino market, which is many times crazier for a little 6 cylinder car that was a unappreciated "not good enough for a Ferrari badge" car also with high production numbers for a collectable.

And I come to the conclusion that GTs are priced accordingly for what you get.