Replacing starter motor on 1978 400 Auto | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Replacing starter motor on 1978 400 Auto

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Oct 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yup. Mine, which started doing the click...crap....turn click...crap...turn...ok there it started...soon after I bought it. And now, will not do anything besides click. :)

I am going to try to clean up the connections on advice from the previous owner, but if that doesn't immediately work, I will get this new starter. Although, when this one works, I do like how it sounds as it turns the motor. Very--classic.

2. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    After an overnight and full day charge of the battery managed to get her to start! Alternator is charging so can only be the battery is faulty (it's a new unit so going to replace it under warranty). Funnily enough there is a drain on the battery of about 0.4amp with the engine off. Obviously clock is running but all else is off. Has anyone seen anything similar on theirs?

Still going to get one of the US starters on order ready for its winter break. Hopefully it will keep going until then.

3. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Mine kept slowly discharging the battery as well. I eventually put the camera in the boot to record a movie & shut the boot. When I played it back it confirmed the boot light did not go out. The tab on the boot hinge that was meant to operate the switch was in the wrong position.

4. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    It's a good call. Had a volvo 480 turbo years ago that kept discharging as the glove compartment light was permanently on. A common fault apparently. Certainly an interesting car...

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1 on that one Big time!!

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    The link posted for the starter is correct however the guy I dealt with is Dave and you can email him at [email protected]

Very helpful guy, we haggled a bit and I ended up paying $385 for the starter inc. shipping to the Belagio Hotel in Las Vegas where a friend of mine was on holiday and brought it back for me in his hand luggage !

7. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Found exactlly the same problem with my car.
    M

8. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Just for the UK forum members I guess - but I have sourced a supply of these very starters so if anyone wants one just shout/PM whatever! They are built to the same spec but using slightly superior parts. I have no affiliation to the company involved, but through my contacts with them can offer a good price (if that makes sense).

Howard

9. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Sounds like a good plan...

10. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    +1 looked tonight. Boot light red hot to the touch. Obviously been burning away on the trickle charger..

11. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK

Howard we should pool UK requirements and see if he can do us a bulk deal. Let me know what he wants and I maybe interested.
    thanks

12. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi Howard.

I have just pulled the starter on my RHD 400iA (In Australia). I could have it rebuilt but would prefer to replace it with a more modern (Gear reduction) type.
    Would you be able to provide the model number/starter type you are using.

(If there is a commercial reason you cant pass this info on - no problem)

Cheers !

Rick.

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Try using the search feature - there's bound to be a gear reduction one that fits

14. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Hi Rick,

I purchased two of these starters off Howard after a locally sourced unit (in Australia) did not fit. I can highly recommend them & have had no issues fitting the starter or with its operation. The details of the supplied starters are wosperformance.co.uk & part number LMS029.
    Thanks again to Howard (squidmark) for his help in this.

Cheers,
    Al

15. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
  16. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi Al,

Thanks for the info.
    Cheers!

Rick.

17. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    My starter motor on my 365GT4 2+2 has being getting slower and slower, (new large battery and good cable), in the end it was not sounding smooth and wouldn't turn the engine so I am assuming the worst that new bushes, brushes and solenoid contacts are not a option. it's getting removed today. Any new suppliers to buy a quality gear reduction starter motor. Thank you Daren

18. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Daren, I have had this type of high torque starter installed on my two 365 GT4 2+2 last year, it is a complete change for the better. The brand is WOSP, the model is LMS029 (as indicated by Al).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Looks great thank you Jean. Any contacts to purchase this starter motor available

20. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  21. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thank you Jean, I ordered a Wosp starter motor and it fitted great (check how they send it because it arrived 2 to 3 weeks on the lowest priority mail). My mechanic made up a special Ferrari tool ;) (Bent spanner) which reached the top bolt which resulted in the removal of the exhaust not being necessary. Took him about 3 hours from start to finish and it's turning over real fast now
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary