312 Crash at Monaco | Page 2 | FerrariChat

312 Crash at Monaco

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bland, May 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    005? If so a 2 times GP winner. Ferrari 312B2/005 race history

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you will know better than me from watching video, but looked like some red mist and deliberate moves. :(

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    ...because he didn't have a car to drive?

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    It's a bit sad to see this accident. But I offset that with the fact that I love to see them out on the track again. This is how I like to see them. I like seeing them in museums as well. But you can have them all sitting still, and something will have been lost there.

I am just getting into historics and will not mind being a back marker for a bit till I can start coming up to speed.

I really like VRG. Who's dictum is to bring the cars back off track the same as they went on. The thinking is good thinking IMO. If the car is safe and to be enjoyed another day, the driver will probably be safe as well.

That the Ferrari driver was censured in some respect would IMO be a responsible act. As I think there was a measure of irresponsibility there. He either was unaware (unfathomable) or (way too) aggressive in causing contact.

Glad they can walk away.

I think the Monaco Historic GP is the best event I have been to.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    This is common, and I would have expected as much. On these, or other shores.

Still, incidents do happen. Even inadvertently.

Last time I ran with VRG, there was a significant one. Both drivers were provisionally suspended. Upon investigation, I think both were reinstated (actually, during the same event). A leading car spun, hit the wall and careened back onto the course, where the trailing car collided (having no place to go). It happens. It's a racing incident. I don't think either driver was to blame, and, IMO, it was appropriate to lift the suspensions.

Two damaged cars, though.

CW

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I still maintain that I don't see that. But, none of us can divine what's going through a driver's head in the moment. Did the driver consciously block? He's being lapped. What incentive does he have (other than ego) to defend? Monaco, as many know, is narrow with limited opportunities to pass. It still looks to be just an unfortunate incident.

I've never heard any concerns expressed previously about this driver.

CW

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #32 GIOTTO, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So most of the cars in the vintage races have replica engines ? And what will remain of this car after his "restoration" ? A replica ?
    A Grand-Prix in 1972 or 2014 was/is a real race. But a vintage race should remain a show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Thanks Francis...c est horrible!
    can see the vid, i will check later....thanks for info!

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Values on F-1 cars vary widely, mainly depending on their history, if they were driven by
    a "name" driver, or have any race win(s) or championships.

In the 312 era, Ferrari had cars built as back-ups so maybe some were actually used in
    races but more often than not, just sat in the trailer and only rolled out for publicity purposes
    or testing.

A Villeneuve driven 312T, for example, with no race wins could be bought in the $600K area
    but another ex-GV 312 with race wins, such as Nick Mason's 1978 312 T3 #034, would be well
    into the millions.

BHW

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sorry the Ferrari driver is supposed to use his mirrors and appears to turn in deliberately ... what a waste of his own car and the other.
    Pete

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree.

Many though are not satisfied until cars are damaged ... then apparently it is REAL racing. I laugh because this is is BS. The last real race for that car was in 1972, no matter how fast it goes now.
    Pete

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are never supposed to use your mirrors! I think that was the problem, he actually was using his mirrors to block.

13. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    ...and there was a blue flag shown well before the coming together.
    The driver may not have seen it, so now let's move on.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting. Yes I know the onus on passing is the car behind but this was NOT a real race.

I'd be watching my mirrors and would have let the guy go passed by keeping off line, but yes I agree he did a MS block ... silly.
    Pete

15. Alan Cox

Alan Cox Rookie

May 7, 2012
    Cheshire, England
    Full Name:
    Alan Cox
    I would take issue with you, PSk, in your contention that it was not a real race. It may not have been a race counting towards any championship, and the drivers may not be of the calibre of the guys who originally drove these 3-litre GP cars when they were current Formula 1 cars, but it was, most definitely, a real race with the quickest and most talented drivers at the front of the field all being keen to be first across the finish line.

I was standing trackside for the entire meeting and I saw a number of incidents over the Monaco weekend where slower drivers were not always fully aware of what was happening behind them, causing overtaking drivers to have to readjust their line in order to avoid being baulked when a more observant competitor would have smoothed their path.

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #42 bigodino, May 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Historic events like this should not be about real racing. Anyone who believes so is fooling himself and putting others and their cars at risk.
    The event promoters should do more to prevent accidents. Blue flags don't cut it. No overtaking in corners would be better.
    At these events some cars are driven by hot shoes who really think it's a race. They quickly lap the gentleman drivers. This is asking for trouble.
    I've seen more than one accident that was totally unnecesary.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Call it what you want (a race or not), but everyone on the grid wants to present well. That doesn't mean they're willing to intentionally ball up a historic artifact for the crowd. But, if you're moving at speed, there's always the potential of a mechanical failure resulting in contact. Or driver error. Or, or, or. Stuff happens, and it's going to happen again somewhere else. The drivers will walk away, hopefully wiser, and the cars will be repaired.

CW