The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread | Page 11 | FerrariChat

The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by dave80gtsi, Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Power pedal things is a joke just push your foot down on the gas pedal harder. That silly thing adds nothing. After just about 40 years of changing cars I have learned what is real and what is magic tonic crap. Go to Road race motosports they actually know what they are doing. When you take that kind of weight of the corners in a car like that it is like (depending on you calculate) adding around 15hp. Car should handle better as well. But if you were on going to do one thing to the car I'd go with a rear sway bar. If you want more power unless you're prepared to change out the intake and the exhaust don't bother. This car has the worst designed exhaust out take I have ever seen.

2. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I believe FIAT outsold Mini by about 1,000 cars in March.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The neuspeed short shift uses the stock shifter just makes the throw 25% shorter. There are also shifters by Craven Speed and TWM performance( pretty sure you will have to buy their shift knobs as well since you cannot use the stock unit) which cost 3 to 4 times as much and not sure with this car it would be worth the cost. I am going to install the Neu Speed and see if I can live with it.

4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Thanks! I'll be interested in hearing how the Neuspeed works out for you. Sounds like a good compromise for the cost.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I will let you know. For starters I am doing ECU upgrade, CAI, exhaust, rear sway bar, SS Kit, center console with Storage, ambient light kit (silly but I like the look at night) and the 695 stripes (not sure if I will keep those). Also changing passenger seat mounts, going to HID headlights, and maybe a few CF pieces. I am still trying to find a good balance for the suspension leaning towards bilstein coilovers. I'm sure this is only the beginning. Knowing me once I am done I'll end up selling it.

6. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
  7. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Would have much preferred a DCT type tranny like they have in Europe.

8. zvezdah1

zvezdah1 Rookie

Feb 20, 2005
    #258 zvezdah1, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. zvezdah1

zvezdah1 Rookie

Feb 20, 2005
    500madness just came with it's own version of short shifter block, slightly cheaper than neuspeed and no filing required for fitment.

FIAT 500 Short Shifter Adapter by MADNESS - FIAT 500 Parts and Accessories

10. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is this a "standard automatic", or with paddle shifters?

11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Standard. Same tranny from the 500t

12. ftower

ftower Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've had the Craven kit on my 2012 Abarth since almost new and couldn't be happier. There was no problem using my factory shift knob and boot, though the boot is a bit "bunched up" given the shorter shaft.

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #263 4re Nut, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    An automatic would be fine if it had paddles.

And yes, the manual needs a 6th gear. Maybe not for any performance or mechanical reason, but simply not having one makes you feel a bit short changed these days.

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Looks like the instrument cluster is different too.

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "...A new 7.0-inch high-definition TFT screen is now front and center in the instrument cluster, and can display speed data, fuel level, and trip info. The screen also serves as the camera display when the Rear Park Assist option is selected. The TFT screen will be standard on the 2015 Fiat 500 Sport, Lounge, Turbo, and Abarth models, and will be an option on the Pop..."

Per link below...

17. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agree, can't believe they skipped flappy paddles.

18. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Had to post in this thread after this weekend... I was involved in a Make a Wish Rally this weekend and found myself behind an Abarth on a two-lane non-passing area. Was shocked to see how well the car performed. It wasn't pulling away from the 430 but it sure wasn't getting pushed either! Never had a chance to speak with the owner but that's one cool package.

19. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
  20. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Why can't we get effing paddles in the U.S.?? My Arbath is a DD and it does get tiring rowing gears; great for when you "feel" like driving, but a paddle shift option would be...no wait...SHOULD be available here. Why isn't it??

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I just did the exhaust, ECU, CAI, Rear sway bar, and pedals yesterday, did not have time to get short shift kit or wheels done.

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    And I could not help myself I put on the stripes from the 695 edition, never owned a car with stripes before.

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Please give us a review of the mods when you can. Thx!

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I will have a more complete review next week but this I can tell you the rear sway bar makes a big difference in the cars handling. Though like most stock cars for 99% of drivers the stock setup is fine. The tail wagged too much for me a this inexpensive mod got rid of most of that. The air sucking noise of the CAI might be annoying to some people but it does not bother me.

25. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I love the instrument cluster of the 2015 :)