400i rear shock replacements | FerrariChat

400i rear shock replacements

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by orfeva, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. orfeva

orfeva Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    Anyone know of replacing the rear shocks on a 400i self levelling system and if so what was used?

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think GT Jones went with some after market coilovers. Search his posts for more info.

4. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Rutlands makes a custom Koni to replace the self leveler for about $1800/pr but you no longer get the self leveling function. Some 365GTC's and /4's used monroe air shocks (shudder).
    My self levelers still seem to work but I did replace the front set of coils with a stiffer spring.
    I believe that the 400i has an accumulator that can be replaced by a mercedes part and try searching here for that info. 365gtc forum has some good info on this subject.

5. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I've used the Mercedes accumulators and they work fine. Just need to get (or make) a fitting for the hydraulics and a simple mounting bracket. Their price is right!

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Anyone have the info for the guy that rebuilds the Konis?

7. orfeva

orfeva Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    Unfortunately, we do have an off the shelf regular replacements for the 84’ 400i, We have rears for the 83’ 400 GT automatic without self-levelers. But have no information on whether or not those would cross over to the newer 400i.

Does anyone know if the 83 setup will work and explain if it doesn't why not?

8. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    See what they have and the price but I would be surprised if they offer the rear shock AND spring set up for the 400GT as I think that's what only Rutlands offers. They should fit though. Forget what the manuals or parts list say, have them confirm that the upper and lower mounting bolts are the same size as whats on your car now. You may have to purchase the mounting bushings too. Overall length is the same from 78 on

9. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    AREPA, in Switzerland, has a lot of the tooling and expertise to remanufacture the rear self-levellers on the early 400i. They did mine a couple of years ago, height is perfect, they work well.
    I have known the owner for years through friends in the rally race game. Reliable, Swiss.
    I am sending him the ones on my 5-Speed.

10. orfeva

orfeva Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
  11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Both '83 & '84 are Series 2 cars...so Yes, they're compatible.

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Here is guy I used in AZ.

Jeff LeBlond [[email protected]]

He is also working on a rebuild for the adjuster in the middle, some have collapsed shafts.
    Ken

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I left them a phone message and sent an email today. I'll let you all know what I find out.

14. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike

Model years are not the way to identify Ferrari specification changes - a car may have sat for a year before it was first sold, or in the case of a 400, been built overseas, sold, then EPA complied in the US before its first sale. So is the year it has been identified by the year when it was made, first sold overease or first registered in the USA ?

The reliable way to work out what will fit your Ferrari is using the chassis number and then looking at the parts book and sevice manual to see what set up is appropriate for your car.

If you do a search a links to download both the 400 service manual and the 400 parts book have been posted here ( youll need them to work on the car, and to figure out what goes where). You can also see how the systems are quite different.
    BTW The crossover point in rear suspension design was chassis 42705

M

15. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Jeff LeBlond's known for being the 'go-to' guy if you're considering rebuilding your hydraulic self-levelers, but I don't know how much longer he'll be doing that :(
    I'd be curious of his response to that.

16. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #16 Ashman, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    My copy of the workshop manual indicates that s/n 42705 was the first 400i with the hydraulic self leveling suspension. Edit: Oops, I see that you conveyed that information already! :D

WRT to model year, I think that Ferrari generally used the year of manufacture and not the "model year" convention typical in the U.S. but even that can lead to differences in how your vehicle might be classified on registration. For example, my 400i was built in March 1983 (s/n 46153) and I always referred to it as a "1983" but the registration indicated that it was a "1984". Why? Who knows? Maybe because it entered the U.S. in late August, 1983 and that was the beginning of the "1984 Model Year" for the U.S. or possibly because it didn't receive its DOT/EPA exemptions until early in calendar year 1984. It didn't really matter except for waiting one extra year before it was exempt from emissions testing in CT.

17. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I think the most reliable method is to measure what's on your car then compare it to the available parts.

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    John,
    Do you, by any chance, know the actual day it was completed in March?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    He responded the next day. I'm planning on sending them down to him in a couple of weeks, and I think I'll do the fronts ASAP this next fall.

20. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Allllriiiight!! That's gr8 to hear that he's still rebuilding them.
    Even though mine still work fine, it almost makes me want to get them rebuilt preemptively so that I know I've got a couple more decades of life out of them.

21. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bruce
    I did the interim approach. I had a leak on top of one unit. I found two NOS and replaced the leaky one and his mate on the opposite side. I had both of those rebuilt. So I have two new, two working old ones and two stand-by in cabinet.
    Ken

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Wow, where did you find those NOS units Ken??
    Bruce

23. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    He had a shop right at the George Wash. Bridge entrance toll booth for 20+ years, but after his son died he was going to return to Italy. He was 'clearing house'. I had to buy a NOS radiator and pick up both at his shop to save him boxing it up. I later sold radiator on this forum (I think) and got most of total back.
    Ken

24. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I learned years back the Mercedes Benz large sedans of the same era and earlier used exactly the same shocks. The only thing you need to do, as I was brought to understand, is that you need to remove the Ferrari mounting brackets and tack weld them to the M/B shocks. I hope this is of some help. Jq.

25. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    What year would that be and are they still available?
    Thanks