Dino too valuable to drive | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino too valuable to drive

Discussion in '206/246' started by solly, Mar 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    totally agree!

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It's just a car. Drive it and enjoy it. Your time on this planet is pretty limited, you should make the most of it while you can.

Get good insurance so you don't have to worry about damaging it.

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It's not a mistake to bring the quality of the car to the standard one wants. It's what we car guys do. What was said above is true. Let us be grateful we are among the very, very few lucky enough to have Dinos. And let's enjoy them.

4. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    You guys are great! Very meaningful comments.
    I'm taking the Dino out on my next day off. I'll just keep my distance. One eye in front and one in the rear view mirror. And increase the insurance coverage.

5. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    good on ya Rob...way to go!

6. Nickrry

Nickrry Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Took mine out for a good hammering yesterday - fantastic blasting through the Welsh hills in the sun! Red lined it at every opportunity!
    Everything is wearing out at different rates, and gets replaced as I go. as far as the body is concerned I simply view it as between restorations.
    yes they are valuable but that means you can drive and enjoy it and when you want to sell it you will be able to throw some money at it to bring it up to scratch and still get your money back.

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Only 1000km (or, about 621 miles)? That's all?

I put 5000 miles on our GTS in the first year, and between 3000 to 4000 miles each year thereafter (well, except for the 1 and 1/2 years spent rebuilding the engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc.).

With our GT, I put on about 3000 per year.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Dino for sale..........180,000 miles on the clock fully restored 2 years ago

Dino for sale..........50,000 miles on the clock fully restored 2 years ago

Which one tempts you first?

Whilst I admire Rob's pragmatic view, in reality with ever increasing values, this will dampen the experience of ownership.

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    If both are equally restored, it would come down to individual specs and how many miles since the rebuild. I don't think the original miles comes into play much on a car like this. I will say I would lean towards the 180k car only because if so even left that as it was, it would speak to an honest representation of the car, not that the 50k wouldn't. It just gives it an edge.

10. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    To me this would be just like not sleeping with your beautiful wife just because you want to keep her "untouched" for the next guy. We drive the Dino as much as we can, and keeping the car well maintained and regularily driven is much more sensible than leaving it in the garage. If you're afraid for it - buy some art instead:).

Besides, damaging the Dino is no more expensive to fix than any other car.

I remember reading an interview with some race driver regarding the potential perils of crashing a 250GTO. He said that as long as he came back to the pits with the chassisnumber plate, all was well. A bit of an exaggeration, but I do see his point.

I do agree that this is different if you have a pristine, unrestored car that will drop in value, though....

11. Chairs and Flares

Nov 15, 2011
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #36 Chairs and Flares, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

You are WAY BEHIND THE TIMES. John Corbani's Dino had over 180,000 miles when FORZA did a featured article about it (John used it as a daily driver), and it had about 195,000 on it when Synchro, Carlo Durante (a renowned old time Ferrari mechanic), and my wife and I flew down to LA and Santa Barbara to inspect and drive it after John's untimely death. The car drove better than any other Dino I have ever driven. It had some "innovative" modifications and "workarounds," but our mechanic was really impressed with how well the car worked. I am just sorry that I didn't buy it because what would another 100,000 miles have done to its value? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! In fact, it might have increased its value on account of its history and wonderful story.

You need to go through John's posts in Corbani's Corner. Just remember, Corbani's Corner is closed to posting, but you can start a new thread about something mentioned in Corbani's Corner in the general 206/246 section of FCHAT.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Agreed. My approach is by no means special and I hope to embrace John's philosophy even further. The only hang up will be that having the Dino as a daily driver would likely be out in Canada as there are no appropriate fixing points for a snow plow on the front of the Dino.

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yep....Like use the toilet :)

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    not sure that was what came to my mind when I saw the add.

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    me neither:)))

17. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Hi,
    I dont doubt that there are individuals that blast round in their Dino's every day..... and thats great to hear (and i will definitely check out the Corbani's Corner thread).
    Its just that you never see any Dinos for sale with 100k + miles , despite the fact that the majority of cars must be approaching or long since past this point! ...... is this smoke and mirrors surrounding engine rebuilds etc , or plain dishonesty?

Jez

18. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm hoping to get mine over 100,000 this year. Anyone else?

19. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

+1, well said, couldn't agree more.

20. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

+1,

21. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim

22. mebowles

mebowles Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I say buy what you can afford, drive the snot out of it, and smile. Isn't that what these cars are for?

23. Dinofan2

Dinofan2 Rookie

Oct 25, 2013
    #48 Dinofan2, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

YEAH!...tell me who can do that in a real Dino
    welcome the "Diniata" gentlemen :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Sure looks like they drove the snot out of that!

25. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Snot.........I was wondering what that was on the side of the car.