Dino too valuable to drive | FerrariChat

Dino too valuable to drive

Discussion in '206/246' started by solly, Mar 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Now that my Dino is worth more than everything else I own I am too scared to drive it. Just one little ding and there goes my kids' college educations.

So I'm buying this for weekend cruises. All the fabulous looks of a Dino without the mechanical headaches. And my kids get to finish college.

Replica Kit Makes Ferrari Dino GTS246 Tribute | eBay

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Joke? Park the dino for something reasonable but not this. And i like kit cars too. How about a nice used stock miata instead?

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#3 dinogts, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    That is why I sold my 246gts a few years ago and bought a decent driver quality 246gt instead!

But, you might be able to get your Mazda based 246gts replica Classiche Certified by Ferrari! See my related thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/440116-what-about-my-re-bodied-pontiac-fiero-could-i-get-classiched-subject.html

and the following related thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/436470-time-rip-dino-seller-misrepresentation.html

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  5. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    LOL! First thing I'm going to do is stuff a "high-revving" LS3 motor into my Dinomiata. God this is going to be so much fun.
    My '74 GTS is now mounted and stuffed and hanging above the fireplace where no soccer mom in a minivan can touch it. Safe at last.

6. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  7. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    understand your apprehension but not driving the dino will be much worse for its mechanical condition. sure you can find a quiet road to run it on a nice day. as you drive it more it might become less scary !

8. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    They have this thing ... it's called insurance.

9. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    This is a hilarious post. Thanks everyone for the laughs

10. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I know we skipped forward an hour but didn't realize I had to skip forward almost a month to April 1!!!

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Esse quam videri.

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    +1

Regards, Alberto

13. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Perhaps a Volvo is in order!

All kidding aside, I hear your concerns loud and clear.

I'm in the process of bumping up the collector car insurance on my Dino to $500K (it seems like only yesterday I bumped up the value to $250K). While the added cost stings a bit, I don't want to be caught with insufficient insurance given the significant value of a restored Dino. If it gets stolen or written off, I would be distraught if I was not made whole to repair or replace it.

Cheers,

Keith

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'm insured for $150.

Maybe I need to revisit that.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Dino's were so beat up and crashed over the years (not to mention rusted), a crash means nothing to the value as long as it's repaired properly.

A door ding is $100 to fix. It's just steel. No biggie.

Restored Dino's are far better than they left the factory in most cases. Trying to keep it original actually lowers it's value. ("Do you want me to leave the panel gaps like this or fix them?" ) :)

16. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    If you had a choice of owning a 100 point concours restored Dino or an original 95+ point (platinum) Dino, which would you prefer and for which which would you pay more?

Insurance can fix a car to "better than new" but all the insurance or restoration in the world cannot make it original. It has been said many times, but I will say it again, "It is original only once".

Not to compare a Dino to a 330 GTS but how much of the 2 million dollar auction price of the barn find 330 GTS was due to its originality, and if it was restored how much more (or less) would it be worth? What if that 330 GTS was found in platinum condition? How much would it be worth? And along that line, how much insurance would be enough? How would you feel if someone crashed into your original 246? Would it be OK, because you had enough insurance? I am being serious and not joking.

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I agree that original cars are only original once and that originality could never be recovered after damage requiring repair. I will add that a car continues to be original whether it is worth $1 or $1 million as it is a quality irrespective of price. As such one should be equally terrified to use the car regardless of its value but this is not the case.

The problem as I see it is that as the market value increases, the cars are seen more as assets then as toys. People think about all of the 'other' things they could be doing with the money and that tempers your view on the car. Insurance of course mitigates some of the risk but in the end it all comes down to one's perspective.

For me a car is worth whatever it is worth when I decide to part with it. Whatever that number is then so be it. It is a toy to have fun with and the moment its value gets in the way of enjoying it then it immediately ceases to be fun any more and I wan't nothing to do with it. Now this may come off as the opinion of someone massively wealthy with no appreciation for a dollar but in fact the total opposite is true. I am a middle class guy with modest income. From my perspective my life is filled with the need for rational and reasoned decisions and I am just not interested in having my play time clouded with such concerns.

18. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006

What an incredibly wonderful and thoughtful answer!
    Thank you so very much!

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, indeed.

20. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    If someone totals my Dino (be it restored or original) first and foremost I hope that I am lucky enough to walk away.

Assuming I walk away, I would be really upset that the car was totaled but glad that it was insured for the maximum allowable amount to replace the car. While I might not find another car as original or as well restored as the one which was just totaled, I could afford to replace it with something comparable.

Insurance is not designed to numb feelings of sadness or anger, it is aimed at shifting the financial risk of losing something of value.

...Keith

21. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I appreciate not wanting to lose the value but I bought my car to drive it and will continue to do so. 1000km or so last summer and hopefully more this year. Daily driver doesn't work in my employment situation but if I thought I could get away with it....

Drive it, be aware of what's going on around you and enjoy it.

22. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    It is just stuff... You can't take it with you. I routinely thrash and drive very hard several Gullwings and when it is all said and done it can all be RE-Restored. Unrestored preservation stuff is another thing all together.

23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    In a way I'm the dumbest of the bunch. I bought a Dino and proceeded to dump an ungodly amount of time and money into it to bring it to beyond 100% concourse perfect. Now with the car at its absolute most valuable I'm planning on driving the snot out of it until it is worn tired and in need of full restoration.

If our lives are guided only by what makes the most sense then it is a pretty boring existence. I'd rather have fun so that when I'm old and grey I can look back and have fantastic experiences to remember rather than a fat bank account that someone else will spend.

24. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Thats a great attitude Rob! ..... perhaps you will also be the first brave enough to declare a true Dino mileage over 100k miles, as well! I believe it is this element of ownership (in addition to their inherent values today) that prevents the majority of owners for really enjoying their cars , exactly as you are advocating.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The accident you don't want in a Dino hit a head-on into the back of someone. You'll find the steering wheel embedded in your chest.

The insurance money will be the least of your worries.

You have to remember these are not modern cars. They were designed for the late 60's early 70's. I think a lot of newbees (aka fortune hunter speculator types) forget that classic cars mean also classic risks.

There ain't no crumple zones or airbags in no Dino.