The Piper "P4" 0900, Just What is it ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Piper "P4" 0900, Just What is it ?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by TZ 750, Mar 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Now this is confusing as I thought there were only twelve 312PB chassis starting 0876 to 0898 inclusive, the last one being used and renumbered as a replacement for 0894 in 1972 and then there is a gap in the numbering until the first 512M chassis 1000.

From this, Inspector Clouseau would deduce that 0900 is a logical unused number for Enzo to give to Piper in 1972 which was around the time he was buying the P4 spares and wanting to build another P4. However, on closer inspection, after the discovery of another unraced 312PB bearing the same number, Clouseau would conclude that Enzo was not very good at documenting his gifts.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Piper did not make the frames, they were made by a vendor in Italy, (that also apparently had acess to the trash Bin at the factory). :D :D :D

As I understand it.....

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    At the risk of derailing the thread.

Tex, I'm not an ungrateful SOB. The Watkins book arrived only today after being forwarded three times.
    Thanks.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    VIN plates littered the Racing Department floor.

Have you ever seen one?

It's a little piece of metal, 1" x 2" mild steel, hand die stamped, with two blobby welds, on each end. Nothing at all like the street Ferraris
    I examined a 250LM once and the whole thing was pretty casual, by modern standards...;)

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well darn it!

I didn't realize you were so intent on outrunning my mailing info!
    Hold still, so I can hit the target!! :D :D :D

Also understand the chaos of my life, it probably went in a box as I moved, myself, (from Valeria's) then surfaced and into the truck, and then finally to the Post Office!

It's a wonderful read, we'll miss a great man.
    The parts on Senna are especially heart rending, as he tried to convince him to quit, and go fishing.

So, let's go fishing!

*announcer voice*
    And now we return to our regularly scheduled thread on Ferrari shenanigans....

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Amazing the Post Office has that level of perseverance!

They returned my son's college graduation announcement, from an address only two blocks away from my current apartment, the SAME Post Office branch handles BOTH addresses!

Doh!!!

7. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Should read 0884 not 0894.

Best Regards,
    Dave

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #33 VIZSLA, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Been through the wars.
    Yes, it arrived open.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Agree. Thread moved.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Facts are David claims Enzo gave him the chassis # 0900 and Ferrari S.p.A issued a Certificate of Origin to Mr. Chinetti for 312PB chassis 0900 in 1977.

11. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you

12. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    This is a good question.

Does anybody know when Piper STARTED on 0900 ?

That might tell us something more
    about whether it was "in period" or later.....

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Ive read so much about 0846 but above is the first time I've heard a succinct retelling of how it ended up in Jim's hands.

15. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Well I for one having watched those clips fully believe that David Piper comes across as a genuine, knowledgeable man who's integrity I doubt can be questioned in relation to all matter P4 and ferrari.

I believe what he says regarding Enzo's input into 0900 and in my mind the car is an approved by Ferrari's founder, continuation P4 which then evolved during its racing career to the point it is at now.

I am sure the next owner will be supplied with enough paperwork to substantiate this fact even if its not currently in the public domain.

16. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    So summing up and as referred to elsewhere, Vaccari & Bosi (not the factory) made three frames for David Piper using permission, plans and tubing given to him. One which was numbered 0900 and used in Pipes P4. One which contained the remains of 0846 and is now heading for Amelia Island. One whereabouts unknown.

Correct ?

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    One frame is back with David never completed as a replica and later David had a fourth replica frame made by someone else for a fourth replica which went to the US but remains an uncompleted replica as well.

18. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    So David had 3-4 frames made.

Do we know the serial numbers of those ?

How many FERRARI oiginal frames were
    made, and what are their serial numbers ?

19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #44 peterp, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    From the comments on these threads, it sounds like all of the original P4 chassis were made by Vaccari & Bosi, so (if I am understanding those comments correctly) it would have been incorrect for a P4 chassis to be made by the factory.

20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Private message sent you. tongascrew

21. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    David piper is a legend :)

22. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    +1

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yes there are two chassis with the 0900 sn.Like so much of the discussion of what,where and how Enzo Ferrari and David Piper arranged, it is largely based on conjecture. Here is my theory on the 0900 issue. There were only these two in the room and the first hand details of what went on are now known only by one living person. Simply put it appears E.F. provided D.P. with what ever D.P. wanted in the way of P seies equipment that was available at the factory.It was agreed that Piper could use all this as he desired including building several replicas/reproductions. Whether in writing or just verbally Ferrari gave him an, at the time, an unused sn 0900. It would appear no one else was made aware of this or much else of what took place between the two. So not being aware someone later realized 0900 appeared unused and assigned it to a new chassis. Comments?? tongascrew

24. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    P4-0900 Photos by paulmacca | Photobucket

An article by Doug Nye originally published in a now-defunct British magazine named Old Motor in October 1979.

I'll wait for everyone to read it and interpret it in their own way before I comment.

Paul M

25. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    #50 ginge82, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Where on earth is the evidence that Ferrari gave Piper permission to build as many P cars as he desired 'including several replicas/reproductions'?

In fact where is the evidence to show that 0900 was intended to be a continuation chassis/car to be built upon and not merely just a spare to go along with the numerous other spares Piper purchased to allow him to continue to race the cars he already had or wanted to acquire?

We have Piper's word and not much else.