250 GTO Recreation/Rebody | FerrariChat

250 GTO Recreation/Rebody

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Putros, Feb 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Putros

Putros Rookie

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi all,

Have been thinking about the 250 GTO for some time now, and it just won't go away.

Recently thoe, prices has gone bit high, and i havent won lottery yet.
    Ferrari GTO Becomes Most Expensive Car at $52 Million - Bloomberg

Options seems to be,

1, Rebody an old front engine chassis ( If I can find one )

2, make 1:1 full replica, and enjoy it on a trackday or similar.

Plan was to make body forming buck,
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-crl1j9b63fE/TWPV35kjR7I/AAAAAAAAEZw/7M-GRgh7E2U/s1600/OndisplayatGalleriaFerrari500Superf.jpg

And on that buck, a full aluminium body.

Either way, im gonna need real precise measures from the body.

and was thinking, does anyone have pictures like this, from the gto;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads14/Early+Targa+Body+Dimensions+page+1+1232583261.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads14/Early+Targa+Body+Dimensions+page+2+1232583276.jpg

Original chassis pictures/measures too, wanted.

Thanks in advance to everybody who can help, much appreciated!!

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Plan on spending well over the high 6 figures to do it correct enough to avoid mass ridicule.... I have well over $350K in my W194 reconstruction so far and I do not have a body yet... w194.com - Home

3. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
  4. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Brilliant

5. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    You're not wrong about that. :) I was just going to ask if the body is a modded 240Z?

7. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Surprisingly the body was made by Allegretti so you would expect it to be good. I last saw the car at an auction a couple of years ago when it sold for £200K. The sales patter is lifted from the catalogue. Based on chassis 7225GT if your interested.

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Your work is amazing. Excellent!

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Allegretti bodies are not particularly good. The early ones look terrrible to be completely honest.

10. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I am sorry for posting this on this forum as many of you are interested in recreations. I see many rebodies and recreations of famous and expensive cars being made by entrepreneurs who are hoping to make profit by taking an old 12 cyl car like the 250GTE or the 330GT2+2 to make replicas of the 250 GTO, SWB, Cal spider, etc because the values of those cars have skyrocketed. Many people may argue people want to enjoy a replica of those cars at the fraction of the price but seriously, if you want a nice convertible or a fast sports car, arent there perfect modern versions of these for sale? You'd have to admit many of the motivations around these conversions is due to people who believe the rebodies will be valued much higher than their doner cars. However I doubt serious collectors with real money is going to risk significant sums of money on a fake 250 GTO no matter how expensive the original is. There are many other options for an investor to put his money if he can't afford 50M on a genuine GTO. I think it's a real shame that perfectly good 250/330s are being destroyed forever to make illegitimate fakes that only a very small percentage of people/collectors are going to want. I'm sorry for my tirade but I feel that we should not destroy these classic cars that was hand made by artisans.

11. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    sorry to say that but the tail of the replica looks terrible!

everybody knows how a 250 GTO looks. why are these replicas that wrong?

lack of skills?

12. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Agreed. Allegretti are not known for restoration but given the number of replicas they have built you would think they would get it right

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    When the money is good there is no need for improvement. Those who order replica bodies don't usually have an access to a real car so they don't know how they look and never come to think that they are buying a low quality hack job.

One must also remember that in the 80's and 90's you could not google search for a 1000 photos of an original so very few people knew how these cars actually look.

14. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    A quick look on the internet.......

6689GT is claimed to be built off an original buck.

5815GT body was supposedly one of three original GTO bodies stored with Allegretti to facilitate a quick replacement for race cars

I love the suggestion that what is effectively 10% of the total GTO body production was kept on a shelf as a Kwikfit service to race teams.

Wonder what happened to the other two ?

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The Greg Jones-built cars are worth looking for, but there aren't many. I generally haven't heard many complaints about their bodies being inaccurate. And, under the skin, they're VERY close to an original. Interestingly, ORC lists a '63 250 GTO tribute/replica that's been through his shop. It should be as correct as possible, I would imagine.

As opposed to many of the Allegretti- or Favre-built cars.

Personally, I would find a good one and buy it. As opposed to building one.

CW

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #16 miurasv, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just look at the rear windows with no wraparound, as on a real GTO, on 5815GT (top 2 pics) and 6689GT and you can see there is nothing real about these bodies or the buck they were formed from.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

18. 3DE

3DE Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Dorset in England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Brown
    ..........OP. My guessing is that you are the person who contacted me last week and pumped me for information and a buck figure. Stand to be corrected. Once info obtained, you stated your intention was to buy a model and scale up full size to make a buck and my assumption was that you had wasted my time. You seem to have had second thoughts on this approach and are now casting around for easy info.

My view on all this is:
    - Re-bodying a 330 is a bit of a shame. However, if you own the car this is entirely your decision.
    - I would love to create a GTO replica at some point in the future (pipe dreams). It will have no Ferrari badges as it is not a Ferrari, but would be faithful to original car and have a Ferrari engine. Truism re classic car owners. You will as a general rule not approve of cars below the level of your own. Original car to re-body to total replica, to glass fibre replica and so on. However, we are all under the broad church of classic car enthusiasts so live and let live in my view.
    - Getting detailed on 250 GTO has so far taken two trips half way across the planet to 3D scan original cars, £700 in books and many weeks of time post-processing and sorting data for body and chassis. Simply do not believe copying a model will get an accurate result.

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    You are definitely not alone with your opinion, Thomas!!

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You dont need to cut up an old car these days. All the bits are vaialable as new production for restorations.

Of course without cutting a real old car, you are not supposed to put horsies on it, but so what.

21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sir, I hope you are not directing this rant at me. I simply asked a question, I never spoken to you or anyone else about this car.

22. 3DE

3DE Rookie

Mar 22, 2013
    Dorset in England
    Full Name:
    Stuart Brown
    No. Not at all. OP means original poster.

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wonderful work.

Obviously a labor of love.

24. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    And no original cars have been harmed during this. 99% of the parts are leftovers from my 35+ years of restoring 1950's 220's, Adenauers and 300S and Sc.

25. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Excellent! Do you really live in Naalehu? I think I went thru there in 1970 when circumnavigating the Big Island w/ my parents . . . You are a long way from anywhere!