The Queen Mother of Testarossa's | FerrariChat

The Queen Mother of Testarossa's

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Jan 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 msdesignltd, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Queen Mother Of Garage Queens...69039

In November/ December 2013 I bought 2 testarossa's.
    1 1986 and 1 1987..
    I did not set out to buy 2, however when you are in the market for months , you just don't stop looking the day you purchase one..
    so goes my story...
    1 week after acquiring my 1986....I found an 87..and went to see it immediately , .. It was spectacular.
    I could not walk away from it without having it...as the chase is as intriguing as the capture..
    Now I have 2....
    In the coming weeks or so I will decide what to do with either one, as my budget is strained on keeping 2 collector cars in the garage and a new daily driver about 5 weeks away from delivery...
    I am leaning towards keeping the 1986 for my own reasons..

However let me tell you about the 87'
    Hands down I now own the greatest original triple Black 1987 single lug testarossa in existence.
    Why/ How can I say this you ask..
    To describe it will take many adjectives as this is the Queen Mother of all garage queens ever.The story goes that the original owner placed the car into deep storage in 1989/1990.
    With only 1200 miles the car was professionally de commissioned Drained, preserved and documented.
    I hope to verify all this in writing from the family of the original owner however..click , click , click...the Car fax and all service records are intact and back up these claims with dates and ownership activity, As does the Ferrari Market letter Database.
    The car was exceptionally maintained in this automotive cryogenic stage for 22 years as all rubber mouldings, leather, cadium plating , seats , carpet , paint , belly pan , engine compartment and peripherals are AS NEW.
    The car was re commissioned in 2012..All items in need were addressed at that time , Including the holiest of Engine services.
    There is not a single scratch on the entire car top or underside.The windshield reads NEW, the wheels read NEW, the paint has been maintained in a god like state with no swirl marks ever.
    The interior actually smells NEW, The car reads NEW from top to bottom.IT IS AN INCREDIBLE sight to see such active preservation and to know that all except for the tires and battery are original new condition. There is no dirt or degredation of any surface anywhere on this car.
    Previously , I have owned many vintage F cars including one of the best Boxers in the country..I Know Concours as that car won 8 platinum awards in my ownership..
    This car is Platinum Concours 98 points Plus... Flawless original, and either I drive it and loose that flawlessness, or I hand it over to someone who will keep the fire burning..
    This is a Blue chip Museum quality car that I might sell to the highest bidder..
    It should NOT be a matter of money to whomever might buy it...It is a matter of coincidence, You might / or will not ever find this type of car in its NEW original condition again.
    This is a once in a lifetime absolutely flawless 27 year old car , that needs nothing!..

The Market wheel is spinning again...we are on the verge of more Ferrari models going into immortality...most here on F chat have been waiting for this since the early 90's late 80's.
    It is at a time like this that you buy, as whatever you pay now will be a bargain in 6...12...24 months down the road..

Knock this car if you must,Differential,belts, fuse boxes, struts whatever...It is a prize to the knowledgeable.
    It is not a 10/10 car...it is a 12/10 iconic supercar specimen, Never to be duplicated again.

This car is only original once, it is only new once , it is never available more than once.

PM me if you find interest.
    If you must ask...it is not under $160,000.00

Regards,
    Michael

Oh!, Did I mention, it's stunning Triple Black.......

These pics taken Yesterday!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Sounds incredible. I'd wonder about grease in wheel bearings after sitting for so long?

3. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Driven in the snow. Sorry :D

4. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Re commissioning means just that.

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    What color is the carpet in the front luggage compartment?

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thats one of my curiosities as well..Its Tan..
    Why would they not of used Black

7. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

I am compelled to bring the car up to operating temperatures once a week...

It has been backed out of garage and then re installed...

who would drive such magnificence in salt?

8. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    Wow...gorgeous in triple black! I'd love to see photos of the interior and engine bay. How many miles on the odo?

I think Sam was just making a joke about being in snow because so many ads for garage queen cars state "never driven in snow". :D

GLWS

9. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Just checking.

10. Testarossa1

Testarossa1 Karting

Jun 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Hi
    Congratulations
    I am curious as to what "triple black" is ?!

Regards
    Tr boy

11. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Stunning... I am speechless about this one. WOW. GLWS.

12. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yes, just being a smart ass. You obviously have one of the best examples around.

13. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No rhyme/reason to front luggage carpet color choice, the installers used what was next available along the line. Have seen many variations that don't make any cosmetic sense. I have Rosso exterior, beaver (tan) cabin carpet, nero (black) trunk carpet.

14. PRFCNST

PRFCNST Karting

Apr 16, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Edward Kehaian
    You write up is incredible.
    Would you mind posting some pictures of the engine bay and interior, please?

15. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Typically means black exterior, black seats, black carpet. It's often used to describe other schemes such as black exterior, interior, rims or on a convertible black exterior, black interior, black top.

16. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I was asking because I looked at a one-owner '87 which was red/black and it also had a tan front compartment. The original owner who ordered it new told me that it came that way and that somebody told him that at the time Ferrari had nothing but tan front carpet sets no matter what the interior color was.

It had compression and transmission issues and I ended up with a lower mileage '86 - and ended up glad that I had the flying mirror.

I have often wondered if it would be an originality issue to correct the front compartment color, as this was obviously a "mistake of convenience" by Ferrari at the time.

17. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 msdesignltd, Jan 7, 2014
  18. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Jeez that TR's finish is amazing! Did they all reflect like that when they were new?

Joe

19. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Not only that, but look at the perfect condition of the front spoiler - this is an excellent car.

20. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    How come the tow hook hole on the front spoiler has a grommet? I've never seen a TR with one.

21. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Yup, they had one. I think most of them popped out the first time you touched a high spot in the road with that spoiler.

For what it is worth, the new one I bought for mine from Ferrari Parts was red, not black as shown above.

22. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #22 msdesignltd, Jan 7, 2014
    The car is new
    This is what I am trying to impart
    A time capsule thats been re opened

23. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...what a Spectacular example...somewhat sad though that whoever buys this-he/she will never be able to drive...car will be devalued immediately...this car will remain another trailer queen if the next owner wants its value to remain high

24. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Joe[/quote]

But like I said, it should not be a matter of cost to someone
    Who buys it
    It should be a matter of coincedence.

25. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am not so sure. None of these cars can economically be driven much over 30,000 miles, (in terms of resale) so they remain pretty much a specialty item anyway.

This car will still be special even if driven the average 500 to 1000 miles per year for a club car after ten years...the others will be pushing 50,000 miles.

The economics will likely remain that full restoration of these will not be viable for longer than most of us will live.