Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    thanks Mike, i just don't understand it was working fine. i am wondering if its not something stupid. i looked at the fuse and there is power coming from centre wire of the plug. next i will take it apart.

2. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
  3. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    going to try it this weekend. thanks

4. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
  5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wished mine was that easy, no movement or noise at all, it was totally dead. Tested the rear switch it was fine. Took out the window assembly with motor and connected it to the battery directly, still no movement. The weird thing is when I first got the car, everything worked beautifully for the first month.

oh well... CHEERS

6. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    same here Mike. It worked great. now no noise or movement. well I started taking it apart so will see.

7. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    So I started taking the inside apart so I can try to fish the wire. After about an hour I finally had to take a break. I guess I will have to go by the wheel well, fortunately it's not the right side, then I would have to deal with the oil cooler. What a PITA, I have no more time today, I am leaving for a few days. Hopefully I will find the inspiration to do this.

If Anyone has pics of the removal of the left side it will be appreciated.

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I accessed it from the outside of the car, ie the behind the side air intake grill.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Lino, the 1st page of this thread has a T left side with photos that may help.
    You sound like me now, sorry to hear that. I went thru your pain for a few days trying to figure out how I can take that damn rear window assembly out. I managed to take out the right side only, have not touched the left but yes, its a total PITA and a big waste of time.
    Now you see why I don't bother, just get my plexi-glass up when it rains and leave the top always down. I may get to it this winter if I'm bored with cabin fever.

-Mike

10. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    The T's vents are to small. I can't get through.

11. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Ok, so after a few hours of messing with the bloody window I decided to bring it to my trusty shop. Stand by for the fix, I will find out this week.

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    have you cleaned your switch thoroughly?

I was having issues with my rear windows and gave it the contact switch cleaning 3x ..they work excellent now

BTW recommend to silicon spray the seals of the top takes away a lot of resistance

13. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi

Yes tried that, I will wait to see what my mechanic says?

14. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Well I got my car back..
    It turns out that nothing was found. My mechanic pulled the wire from underneath and plugged the motor direct to a battery and bingo motor works. I guess a bad contact.

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #140 soucorp, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's good Lino, so did you get a new switch, not sure what exactly your mechanic did to get it to work properly. I just bought a Volvo S40 rear window assembly that I will modify to see if I can get my windows going again after 2 years of trying... Hopefully, I will never have to worry about them failing ever again, lol.

Best,
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I agree, Mike, that the Volvo S40 solution seems the best. I just dread the work; especially since I am in the middle of the second worse job on the Mondial, replacement of the heater ventilator motor. I am taking pics.

17. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Mike,

Well it was a bad connection at the motor. Nothing more.
    Please post step by step pics of your project.

Thanks

18. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Do ask, if you need help.

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks mikael82, I just received the Volvo unit 2 days ago, maybe will get to it this weekend.
    Lino, sure thing, there will be a nice photo write up when I get to it.

Cheers

20. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    Hello everybody, our rear windows also go up and down very slowly and noisily, and a couple of times we have had to manually assist them. I was going to take out the mechanisms, clean them, and lubricate them, but after reading this thread I think if I am going to go to all the trouble of taking them out, I might as well replace them with the far superior Volvo units. Not only are they a better, more modern, more reliable design, they go up and down faster, and they go down a little farther than the stock units, so the window completely disappears into the frame when it's fully down.

I just want to verify one last time the regulators I need. They are the rear window regulators from a first generation Volvo S40/V40 (1995-2004), is this correct?

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Wow this regulator look like it was made to fit Mondials. I hope it fit well for you guys. And it's cheap. With MIke we'll sure have a good photo report. Can't wait to see it.

22. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Hi,
    Yes, go ahead, change them... Taking regulators out is huge job. I had two Mondials and did lubricate and clean, every now and then. Now I only have one Mondial Cabrio, but new owner my 3.2 cab calls few times a year and allways I ask; "How is your rear windows?" fine he says. They are my first set and bit robust, later ones are sleaker in desing.
    Note that window can't drop inside sill, they get stuck, but stop bolt stops window rigth in the lip.

You need Volvo S40/V40 first serries FRONT DOOR regulators, NOT rear door.

btw.
    "how did I found them"
    I vent to neares supermarket parking lot and started mesuring windows, from door seal to top frame, so got full travel spot on. then I bought one and mesure it to fit. Don't get too light, it is a tight fit and be very carefull to see that all bolts toward mechanism because othevise mechanism gets stuck to cars frame, this is why you should test mechanism before you slam all back in. (with this volvo regulators, you can get window and mechanism out without going through enginebay, when they are instaled)

I can take photos of hardware I used, so you all can get them work as smooth as posible, there are couple nice tricks.

23. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I got the volvo part still in the box in the garage. I'll probably won't have the time to work on it until December, sorry guys just extremely busy this month. But yes I will post the pics and how to when I get to it.

Cheers,
    Mike

24. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    No worries Mike. Good luck!

25. aspeystag

aspeystag Rookie

Oct 7, 2013
    I have recently needed to repair a rear window motor on my 3.4t car , after spending more hours than should be needed to remove this thing and taking the thing to bits I found that the bearing on the drive side of the d.c motor had seized solid, after replacing this re lubricating the mechanism and putting it all back in the car everything is fine apart from the English winter weather