Will you soon want to buy a Toyota? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you soon want to buy a Toyota (such as the GT86)?

1. Wow! That actually looks like a neat little car - I'm impressed.

2. It looks good, but I have concerns about whether it will actually be a good drive or not.

3. I'm not interested in that particular Toyota.

4. I'm not going to consider any Toyota.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Subaru BRZ Litchfield Spec S review | evo

2. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #277 Dazzling, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's a great-looking selection of cars Darren! :cool:

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Very nice!

5. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Thanks Andrew, all have their place. The 86GT is a great little car for DD duties, cheap, reliable and fun, but the 348GTC is the only "keeper" ;)

BTW, I have just started a 2,800km, 4 day trip in the 456 (1st day was over 750km). What a great car for long distance cruising :D

6. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I sat in a GT86 today. The dealer offered me a test drive but I politely declined - I'll save that for when I'm seriously shopping. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the GT86 my next car though - if it's half as much fun as people say it is then it's certain. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    These guys like it :D

Fifth Gear S23E02 - YouTube

8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great episode and the GT86 definitely looked awesome. :D

My next car will probably be purchased in the United States, so the comparison I'd probably draw would be a ~2010 Chevrolet Camaro (used) or first generation Porsche Cayman (used) to the GT86 (new). If not going for a 2+2 or a 2-seater, then the old BMW 5-series (E39) comes into the equation, as my parents used to have one when they were in production and I loved driving that car. Unless something surprising happens on the test drives, it's going to be the GT86. :D

Ah, car dreams... looking forward to properly shopping and speccing. Hopefully won't be too much longer. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Other than the Chevy its the maintenance costs that are the issue with the others (BMW and Porsche), the 86/FRS/BRZ will be much better on fuel also. Btw the car I was driving before purchasing the 86 as a DD was an e39 530i, great car but expensive if anything goes wrong and a very different proposition as a car i.e., quiet, comfortable and luxurious, but not sporty and fun :) (though it did have "useable" rear seats, 86 not so good but better than Cayman obviously)

10. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, that's a very good point on maintenance costs. I do want an interesting daily driver but also want to be saving up long-term for a 348.

I wonder how the running costs of a V6 Camaro and the GT86 compare. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Andrew, if you want my advice, buy a $5k scrapper :eek: to drive daily, but do not delay on purchasing the 348 as soon as you get back to the States...you will not regret it ;)

12. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Admittedly, that thought has also crossed my mind, but perhaps a $35-40k car with maintenance costs known to be extreme from time to time is not the wisest thing to buy immediately as I start my career even if it would be the most fun. :D

I'm thinking more modern than a scrapper for daily driver so that reliability/inconvenience/worry isn't an issue as I get settled into a new job. I have a natural tendency to hang on to cars until they fall apart beyond sane repair, so whatever I get is going to be (barring any serious mishaps) my daily driver for the next 15 years or more.

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I won't be buying a new Toyota, that's for sure. I'd love to own a Supra Turbo and maybe a second gen MR2, but everything since (except the GT86/FR-S) has been disappointing to enthusiasts.

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Why would you decline a test drive and then say "I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the GT86 my next car though"? Makes no sense to me.

15. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    There are many reviews about how fun it is, I like the look of it, I have sat in one and liked it, it's not as expensive as many other sports cars to buy, is reported to be reliable, is reported to be reasonable to repair and insure, etc... many reasons to want one.

As to declining a test drive, I anticipate moving back to the States soon so am not going to buy a GT86 from a dealer in the UK. I'm not seriously shopping yet, so did not want to put miles on his car when there is absolutely zero chance that I'll buy one from him, so I politely decline a test drive. As soon as I get back to the States, there are a few cars on my hit list to test drive and the GT86 is at the top of it. I'll drive a US dealer's car as I might actually buy one from him.

Make sense? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    No it does not but it is your call (money). I am having difficulty understanding your decision to say you are going to buy a car that you have not even driven. Also why were you worried about putting miles on a demo? I do not understand this kind of thinking. I bow out.

17. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I read about how fun it was, but when I drove it all i could think about is how badly it needed another 50hp, especially in that price range.

Jumped in my miata after test driving it and couldn't figure out how that car was 20k more fun than my '92 Miata.

18. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I will obviously test drive one before putting any cash down, but I didn't want to depreciate the stock of a dealer that has zero chance of getting a sale from me. I'll save the test drive for a dealer on the right side of the Atlantic, one that I might actually buy from. In general, I try not to waste other people's time or money.

Try not to get disturbed over nothing. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #295 GuyIncognito, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    having finally experienced this car I'd take one. Is it high on my priorities list of cars to own? No but I'd love one. A camry or prius is far more likely for me though as I need all that extra practicality and fuel economy these days

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Nothing ground-breaking. Nice to see that the Vortex doesn't make too much noise:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPptepNZjk[/ame]

22. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Nothing ground-breaking. Nice to see that the Vortex doesn't make too much noise:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPptepNZjk[/ame]

23. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #299 Beta Scorpion, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Until last week I had no interest in anything Toyota had ever offered. Specifically not much interest in front engined cars or the MR-2.

However, I saw this FR-S 1.0 on the road and did not know what it was. I looked it up and had to drive over an hour to find a dealer that had one. Essentially bought it on the spot after test driving it. All I can say is wow! I was not put off by the 'ricer' styling, in fact I was attracted to it because to me it looks like a little F12.

Not sure about the comments on low power, maybe people are afraid to rev the engine? On the roads available to me for spirited driving, I can't get out of 2nd gear on the Testarossa. One reason I got the 308 GT4. This car is even better suited to those roads.
    [​IMG]

24. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    They are great little car, not sure about the F12 comparisons but they do look good IMO :p

I think the greatest gripes I have with the car is the lack of torque lower in the rev range (when on song and up in the rev range they go well!) and they are CHEAP regarding interior appointments. The counter? They are wonderful to drive and perfect for our roads at legal speeds (as per your point above) :)