IndyCar Thread (post-Indy 500) ***SPOILERS*** | Page 10 | FerrariChat

IndyCar Thread (post-Indy 500) ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Jun 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think that's HORRIBLE thing to say! You don't think a crash like this had tremendous potential to kill a lot of people?

Do you know what would have happened if that car actually broke through the fence?

Yesterday Indy car was lucky. Something needs to be done and Franchitti is RIGHT on this issue.

2. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    What did JJ say? I missed it? My first thought - before the crash - why would IndyCar schedule a race up against the mighty NFL?????
    Kevin

3. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I was at the track all weekend and at the finish line when the accident happened. Horrible! My impression was that this track and the overall event were really just pieced together at the last minute. It seemed very poorly organized. I saw spectators standing in areas where they really shouldn't have been allowed. Witnessed guys in the pits during the race wearing shorts and sandals. I'm no expert but is that even allowed at most other tracks? I've been in the pits before where they require long pants and shoes, at least during race time.

I'm just glad Dario was relatively ok (could have been MUCH worse) and that nobody in the stands were severely injured. There's talk of this race happening again in June of next year. June? Really? It was hotter than hell on Saturday and I had a couple friends leave after the start because of the heat. I hear they might make it a night race so thinking that should make things a little more pleasant, though we all know how Texas weather can be, especially this time of year. You just never know!

I'm starting to wonder if Indycar management is TRYING to kill the series. They seem to be doing a good job of it. Contrary to what some on this board say (you know who you are), there's been some great racing action this year (and in prior years) and I'd hate to see the series go away entirely due to the incompetence at the top. Had the accident not happened with fans injured, I don't think there would be much media coverage around this race at all this morning and that is a shame.

Congrats to Will on his victory yesterday. He and Scott really were battling it out all weekend and I thought it was incredibly exciting. I also enjoyed the standing start - they should do that at every road/street course! Also curious why they closed the pits on Saturday RIGHT after Scott went in, not allowing Power to follow despite being like one second behind. That really did determine Saturday's race, imho.

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It did break through the fence (and launched a fair-sized chunk of it into the grandstand crowd). It just ended up on the right side of it.

Lucky is correct. Much as NASCAR was extremely lucky the Daytona incident wasn't much, much worse. The writing is on the wall. Is anyone who matters reading it?

5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great crowd, despite cold & rain until noon and despite it being Sunday in an NFL town. Maybe COTA should get these promoters busy on their events.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Interesting, good to hear about attendance. I was thinking about competing with the NFL for TV viewership....

7. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    How do you figure its a terrible thing to say? I think the point is exactly that. Theses cars DON'T belong in parking lots. They belong on ovals and road racing courses. This is another failed attempt at getting people interested in "spec" racing. At what point do they come to terms that people don't like it, won't buy tickets to it or watch it on TV?

As for the sharks circling...you bet. I think the lawyers will have a say as to how spoiled rich kids play with their toys in a public venue!!

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Gotcha. Good point.

9. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    He supposedly tweeted this.......... "good ol' Jimmie Johnson has now tweeted "See, obviously Indycars have no business running on temporary street courses"!!

I don't Tweet or FaceBook so if you do ....check his account.

10. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Did any of the handful FChat viewers watching the race on TV, see the pre-race segment with Wally Dallenbach wheeling a sedan at speed around the circuit for a lap?

What I found odd / bad-example, was the car had four cheerleaders as passengers. No helmets and only the three backseat passengers were wearing their belts. Wally and front seat cheerleader were conspicuously not belted-in. I'm really surprised that he didn't set a better example for a broadcast piece.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Because your comment about Sharks circling means there are people out there just waiting for someone to pounce on Indy car. I sure don't see it that way.

There's a PROBLEM with Indy car street racing on circuits with this construction. Just because 20 people didn't die doesn't mean the "sharks" can't come out and say "geez you were lucky this time... what about next?'

Franchitti is right. Is he a shark?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #237 BigTex, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It DID go thru the fence, I put my photos in the Texas Section thread, we were 100' to the right of that grandstand where a tree offered some shade.

We were AT the fence, having already seen a front wing slide to a stop right in front of our barrier.

Everyone is okay...except Dario.

I was very worried for the SCCA worker, she took a shot to the head...treated and released.
    Alan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    If he is interested in protecting the sport then he should be. Things could have gone very bad yesterday. Weldon died because of a bad decision. I don't think we need any more of either.

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I follow him on twitter; the only thing he said was hoping Dario and all the fans are ok....

15. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Then it simply is an error. I got it from another individual. I don't follow "Twitter" Or Facebook so I am only going on second hand information. Obviously its not worth anything.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If this were Italy, that would be treated as a crime scene.

17. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #242 hairy_scotsman, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    Exactly. Like I said before, the fence failed (not surprisingly, given its construction). It's only by sheer luck that the car ended up on the right side of it.

BigTex, I posted your photo (with credit) on our FB page and a couple of boards. Hope that's ok. If not, IM me.

I was in front of the temporary grey building for the start of the race. Pretty much right where Dario's car struck the fence, apparently. We left there after the first yellow.

BTW, BigTex, judging from the photo angle, that section of fence must have landed pretty close to you. Glad you're OK (you OK?).

18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Having never been a big proponent of street races of any sort, if Indy Car isn't
    sitting back right now and discussing trimming their street courses to two (max)
    per year, something is wrong.

The two mainstays, St. Petersburg (which may be the best street circuit I've personally
    worked) and Long Beach seem to mesh with the framework of American open wheeled
    racing.

These other places like Baltimore, Houston, Sao Paulo, just come off looking desperate. The
    circuits they come up with are jokes (rail road tracks in Baltimore, really? A parking lot in
    Houston, really?). This is the best they can come up with?

Had we lost one more of American open wheeled racing legends yesterday, what is left
    of Indy Cars would be very seriously in dangerous territory as pointed out, these cars
    were designed not to launch like this and fans certainly should not be expected to dodge
    debris coming at them at 200MPH.

They better hope for a whiz-bang event at Fontana. If memory serves last year when RHR
    won his championship, the grandstands were nearly empty for what turned out to be a superb
    race and a popular American champion was crowned.

BHW

21. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #246 Turbopanzer, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    With all due respect to what you posted (and I agree), I would think the real question is will anyone want this series next year at there track, road course or street venue? After yesterday I would think that this just became an even harder sell then before. Thoughts?

22. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    It's not the track layout that's a safety problem (ie: street vs. oval), it's the fence design and proximity of the spectators. Daytona's classic track layout didn't prevent debris from injuring fans earlier this year.

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That "grey trailer" was the Private Suite of the promotor, the President of MiJack.
    I introduced my girl to him and he is another VERY nice man. They only had two days to put it in because of the Texans schedule. They are going to move the date earlier to avoid that in the future..

My mom mentioned I could "sell those pictures"!!

You know I'm not about that...I really support this event and want only the best for these guys....I told them I was available, "for next year"......I'm a construction management fool! :D :D :D

I'm fine, thanks, I knew it was bad as I was basically watching the car from the reverse angle of all those films, so I ran down to help if I could. ONce EMT arrived I faded back into the background....just "that guy in the hat"..:D

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    +1.

For those with short memories, Houston has hosted a safe race since 1998, with breaks only because of the CART demise ...

We even had National Guard on the fuel storage the month after 9/11.
    Lots of nervous people....

We don't take any ^%$*&*(_. :D :D

Besides, MiJack has a FIVE YEAR CONTRACT!
    That goes thru 2017, baby!!!
    :D :D :D

Come on down next year!