Ferrari GTO sells at $52 Million | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari GTO sells at $52 Million

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by KenGoldman, Oct 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Fascinating thread - complete and total respect for M. Massini. Truly the unquestioned expert on anything Ferrari.

PDG

2. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Why is 3673 being discounted now?? I missed that.

PDG

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  4. Sld7

Sld7 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2010
    More Rich People In The World + Less Prime Assets = Higher Prices

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Don't be NAIVE, please!
    They go by "if it is written on Bloomberg's it must be true"!!

The guys that run that website have no idea what they are talking about. They are pure PR people, selling cars today, tomorrow watches and on Monday perfume or expensive clothing.

Marcel Massini

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    No disrespect to you; but it's more concrete than anything than anything else I've read.
    EVERYONE - including Ferrari themselves - is quoting this article.
    Not really sure - and don't have too much time - to worry why it's such a mystery to either answer a question or not. Understood if you don't want to reveal buyer/self info; no one is asking for that....

Kevin

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    AGAIN and again and again: Just because it is written on Bloomberg it is not automatically true.
    As said before: Please don't be so naive. Please be more skeptical. MUCH MUCH more.
    Thank you.

Marcel Massini

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
  9. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Marcel is right, all this is just a way to create buzz on the internet and in the press..

Ferrari is very glad if it is reported that one of their cars (no matter when it was made) sold for some huge amount. It helps enhance the aura and helps give the brand prestige that money can't buy...

True or not, and in no way related to its current products doesn't matter. It's all about the buzz... Something about sizzle and steak...

10. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Firstly much is very very true what you write. I especially like this line: 'They feed on valuations and personalities of the hoarders instead of the creditability of the cars'. But you know this is what happens when your dealing with the most desired automotive brand in the world with such a rich history. I think you can compare vintage Ferrari to a lets say Studio 54 (was never there but read much about it) in its day, let me explain. Studio 54 will have attracted all sorts of women & men in the days. Elegance like the Rothschilds and Kennedys, crazy artists like Warhol, the most attractive women in the world like Jagger, Fawcett but also the hookers looking to find a nice or naughty millionaire. Drug dealers were also there not to mention arms traders. Thats what probably made the place interesting. It is similar today with Ferrari. There is way too much money power and prestige involved for it not to attract all sorts of types of people. You have real enthusiasts that live for their cars but also maybe some who view as a social ticket to an exclusive club. Some that own a 250 SWB but don't know what a carburettor is. Some who buy the car only to store it and sell out in the coming years. Then because there is so much money involved you have the new dealers, advisors and funds who are in to profit from this madness. Even dealers who were once well known in the 1980s only to lose much in the crises but are now on the scene again making a fortune since a few years (no names mentioned) ;) Thats what makes it fun, interesting and certainly never boring.

For the real enthusiasts out there they can regard this as only 'noise' - sometimes entertaining but most of it worth ignoring for sure. When the prices stop increasing (and music stops playing) then the noise will die down by itself.

11. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Glad to see the healthy skepticism here. Craig McCaw bought a 250 GTO that had very significant historical provenance. Hell, it was a Stirling Moss car. Very well documented.

And that car sold for $35 million.

Are we to believe that a car with less history sold just a short time later for 49% more?

Until someone comes forward with the story, I am happy in having my doubts.

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Not to knock 3505- it has a great competition history, but I think 5111's 1st OA in 1963 Tour de France, its 2nd OA in 1964 Tour de France, along with its other finishes is nothing to sneeze at either.

Best,
    Dave

13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Ferrari has incorrectly listed car information before. The 1953 M.M. winner in the Galleria for one. It would help their image if they would just acknowledge their mistake and correct it. As I recall one person was requested to leave the Galleria for pointing out such an error. tongascrew

14. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    See post #88. tongascrew

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Sure is.One is Pontiac. tongascrew

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Thanks - but.....I don't mean to discredit Marcel, or anyone else that follows these transactions.
    It's very intersting, and good for the brand with this type of publicity.
    However - personally I find it very bizarre that people won't even acknowledge if this car was even sold. Especially with th massive amount of publicity being generated over this...
    It's doesn't affect my life in any way (although as an owner it's very cool seeing Ferrari getting positive press)
    Whatever - if the f-ing car sold for $52m, or $5.2m - I still have to get up for work every day
    Kevin

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #92 John Vardanian, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At the risk of encouraging the copycats, I am going to come forward with this piece of information... as we speak, for a reasonable fee, I am having an "O" professionally added to my 250GT........... thereby increasing its worth by 100 times.

john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    $52m is not outrageous, it had less than 10k miles and a recent belt service.

19. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    Car in pic is not 3757 GT.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #95 miurasv, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Which one is it in the Telegraph article in post 49 that I was referring to?

21. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    There's always a wannabe comedian in every crowd! :)

22. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Ashman, see above. Make that 2.

23. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    5111 GT or 4757 GT. See the airscoop on top of the left front fender.

24. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    man, what an ugly car....!!!! I'd only pay 42mm,

Jack

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #100 miurasv, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks, Wouter. I see the scoop now, but only after you've pointed it out. :) You have better eyes than me. I just saw the number 22, the yellow circle to the left of the door roundel and thought wrongly, 3757 GT.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login