Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GTE with all 250 GTO mods

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Umbertino6, Aug 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unique? maybe.
    A Ferrari? Not so much.

Everyone has the right to enjoy his property as he sees fit. Some owners know that if unmolested the car will survive them and so they are temporary custodians who feel a duty to hand the car off as they were given it.
    If somewhere in history an owner of La Giconda thought that he could "improve" it would be his right but it would have been a tragedy.

2. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Well then most of us don't approve.

I will ask again, how did Mr Scaglietti sign the car in that spot??

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wrong. He cut up a genuine 250GTE Ferrari to make a replica. That 250GTE is now gone. That is what we don't like and if you cannot see that then I'm lost.

You have to cut and throw away bits to do this to a GTE and it is not reversible ... a genuine car is no longer.
    Pete

4. 65 f.i.

65 f.i. Karting

Feb 10, 2008
    Santa Barbara, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I am somewhat dismayed by the overwhelming condemnation of the party that modified this car. Ultimately, if the owner derives satisfaction from modifying his/her car into a form that provides a hightened degree of pleasure for said owner, well so be it.

5. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    It is Not HACK-ZILLA that's on the loose with this car...but

HACK-MAESTRO...or, HACK-MASTER?

swooning that song suggesting that: HACKZILLAs exploits are HACK-A-LICIOUS...

PUH-leeezzz

A hack joib is a hack job is a hack job

6. wizig

wizig Karting

Jul 8, 2006
    Leawood KS
    This thread reminds me of an article from several years ago in the Wall Street Journal which concluded that only with Ferraris would someone modify a minor masterpiece to make a copy of a more valuable masterpiece.

Does anyone have the exact quote or recall the article?

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    ...???...???...

8. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Yes, he wanted to project his own GTO.

BY DESTROYING A REAL GTE! So did the owner destroy anything? Yes he did! A Ferrari 250 GTE. I don't think creating your own GTO based on a GTE is a valid reason to say there was nothing destroyed...
    Pathetic

Thijs

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    well, this is a forum of vintage Ferrari enthusiasts, and the vast majority of us like to see vintage Ferraris kept alive as Enzo made them. Reversible mods are one thing (i.e., electronic ignition), but destroying the original car so that it masquerades as something it never was is what is being condemned.

Like I said earlier, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you Should. Vintage Ferrari owners must decide if they are going to be stewards of history, or merely owners.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Often because you can do something is the worst reason.

It's like someone looking at one of Monet's Haystacks and saying " he painted a number of these. No one will miss one if I improve it."

11. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    So I guess I am not going to get my questions answered as to how Mr Scagletti signed the rear parcel shelf on the car??

12. Umbertino6

Umbertino6 Karting

Feb 18, 2011
    Belgique
    Full Name:
    Umberto
    I actually don't know, but I'll let you know as soon as I meet again the owner.

13. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks, as it seems to be in a most inconvenient spot to write ones name

14. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Bentley owners too but they moan less

15. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Bryan, I always respect your opinion but highlight that this is a sub section specifically created for a discussion on replicas and recreations . Personally, I think we should encourage a debate on the merits of each car rather then descend into the inevitable rant about destruction and deception.

I share your passion for originality and consider over or bad restoration equal to destroying an unloved model

16. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    +1

17. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    The 250GTE is unloved??

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Plus 2

19. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    What kind of wheels are on the 308?

20. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    If you watch the first video posted at 2:23 is a picture of the "rear parcel shelf" with Scaglietti's signature on it.

My question is did he sign it before the rear glass was installed? Did he signed a piece of metal and make it into something that was installed in the car?

If the builder is purporting that Mr Scaglietti signed and therefore "approved " the car I would love to know how he signed his name in that spot upside down.

21. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Taking the rear window out is not difficult especially for such an icon in Ferrari history

We may not like the destruction of a GTE but you have to admire the work that has gone into the construction of this car and the builders motivation to make it the best he can

22. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    He got angry because of the dead GTE and punched out the glass. He left his signature just like Zorro...

Thijs

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    ........or maybe he was happy to see the destruction of Pininfarina's work in favour of his own design

24. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I suppose. No argument from me the level of craftsmanship is superb.