COTA's ALMS/WEC events? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

COTA's ALMS/WEC events?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by texasmr2, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I'll be in a blue Nomex suit in the pit late for any of the FIA WEC action. Look for the guy in the white helmet!

2. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am heading up to the track today. I know they will run in the rain. But, does anyone know what the lightning policy is?

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Passing along viewing times for those of us who cannot attend. ESPN3 will be showing the race live on Saturday and ESPN2 will be showing a 2hr replay on Sunday.

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
  5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #105 hairy_scotsman, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  6. BEisler

BEisler Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Carmel, IN
    How about restaurant recommendations here in Austin?

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Upscale or eating with the commoners? I would suggest Franklin BBQ and hitting the food truck location.

8. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Franklin's is highly over rated IMO. You can't go wrong with any of the restaurants on South Congress, and if you're a fan of Tex Mex check out some of the places just East of I35. If you're looking for a specific type of food, or a specific atmosphere I can give better suggestions.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

10. BEisler

BEisler Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Carmel, IN
    What is Austin known for? BBQ? Not looking for anything fancy. Someplace downtown so we can see the city.

11. BEisler

BEisler Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Carmel, IN
    Another question . . . Anyone have radio frequencies? Does radio lemans have scanner frequencies! Having a friggin blast so far! First time seeing WEC cars up close and personal.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Austin is known for having a great food scene, I love that town!!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWzQmWy2F4]Exploring The Food Truck Culture Of Austin - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8f2lOJkSdw]CHOW Tour Austin: Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

13. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Iron cactus on sixth, el arroyo on fifth, Frank at fourth and Colorado, or bar Louie on sixth are all places with decent food and in the middle of downtown.

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great weekend! pics to follow.

I've never been a big fan of Texas but now I love coming to Austin...great people, cool city and phenomenal facility.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #115 GuyIncognito, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great racing all weekend. Track was lightly staffed & seemed pretty disorganized all weekend. COTA told Stadium People earlier in the week to staff for 8-10K people & we heard there were about 11k tickets sold. Announced 3-day attendance was only ~33K. After rain all day on Friday, the weather was stunning on Saturday & Sunday. I'm working on more photos to post. I'll let you all know when they're up.

I see that the USCR 2014 calendar has been released, with Austin in the same slot as this year. I really hope the WEC comes back too. The USCR will lose a lot with no P1s and the P2s neutered so the DPs can compete with them. I wanna see P1s in full effect. They were nothing short of amazing. If you didn't go see these cars in the esses cutting through traffic like it was butter, you really missed it this weekend.

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    talked to a few ALMS drivers/crew guys on Saturday who were impressed with the size of the crowd. I think 33k for basically two days (did any fan brave the monsoon on Friday?) is pretty solid for a sports car only weekend in the US.

agree, watching the Audis smoking through the esses was amazing. fastest Audi race lap was only seven or eight seconds off an F1 car. dayum.

I saw that next year it's USCR/WEC on the same weekend. I'll be back.

18. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
  19. BEisler

BEisler Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Carmel, IN
    Great shot. That's right near where my son and I sat quite a bit of the time. What a fantastic weekend. We're sitting in Houston airport awaiting our flight to Indy - we plan on using the flight time to go through the 2000+ pics we took.

My understanding is that WEC is signed up for 3 year deal at COTA. Good chance we'll be back.

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #120 hairy_scotsman, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    There's no way on earth there were even close to 33K people there, even counting all 3 days. That has to be ticket sales (and giveaways), not actual attendance.

Re: the monsoon, yeah, I was there all day. One of the very few out there at all. You can see my pics above...or at least you could if I could crack the code to making them appear here. This is the only forum where it's a problem for me.

Re: lap times, the fastest of the weekend was the Audi in Qualifying: 1:47.520. That's about 12 seconds off an F1 car qualifying at COTA. Seeing how fast the Audis were really makes one appreciate an F1 car even more. ETA: I see now that the Audi fastest race lap was only about 8.5 sec off the F1 fastest race lap. I wonder what the difference would be if the fueling regs & tires were the same in both series though. I think that would move the difference in the favor of F1.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The only issue you are having regarding posting images is that you have most likely exceeded your "free download capacity" and since you are a 'unsubscribed member' you must now provide a link. No big deal brother.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that was my first spectator event at COTA so I have no idea how to gauge crowds; but when drivers and crews are impressed with the crowd that's a good thing :)

I'd love to know the difference in speed between an 80s F1 car and Group C versus a modern F1 car and the Audi. but at any rate those P1 cars are damn fast given their weight and durability constraints.

23. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The forum doesn't recognize image links with the [​IMG]

24. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #124 hairy_scotsman, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    Yeah, no doubt. You just have to know the facility. The 3 permanent GSs at T1, T15 and the Main GS on the front straight hold about 24-25K people combined. None of those were ever more than about 10% full either Saturday or Sunday (maybe generous at that), even at the beginning of the ALMS or WEC races..There was basically nobody outside of the race teams, COTA staff, me & a few hardcore fans there on Friday. The crowd may have been good by ALMS standards, but from what we hear, WEC expected more.

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if WEC expected more they shouldn't have dumped Sebring or Petit from the calendar ;)