Installing my new Diff | Page 17 | FerrariChat

Installing my new Diff

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #401 turbo-joe, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    I´m only the one telling from own experience because I did this job several times already. and always before I do something I think how to do it the easiest way and also why this just now work so and not other. the complete "car system" is equal on all cars. may be F is something special, but all kind of cars have something special what you will see when you work more than 40 years on such mechanics. it is only logical technique, nothing more. but when this technique will not work like it has to work it is so much frustrating. so I know how you feel meanwhile, even it is not a 1 hour job.

when all will go again fine it is only your merit because you are the one working on. I only can tell you from here what could be good or not. but finally you decide how you do this job. and like 208gt4 already have written: If you can conquer this you can conquer anything! I must agree 100 %

but scott: could you please tell again why you put those "ears" to the clutch? I looked in the thread but have not find why you did so. makes no sense to me such "ears"

cheering me??? lol ! ! ! :) :D one for me unknown member here already was cheering me so much because he payed me a yearly silver subscribed membership. so now I must show him that it was a good investment :) :) :), otherwise I would have reached long ago my limit in uploading pictures

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Maybe, but you gotta respect the greasy hands :)

3. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The "ears" = midplate. I don't understand your question.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    please have a look at post no. 390 where I already asked about this
    also please read post 391 where you have written because of those "ears"

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #405 qwazipsycho, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think you're chasing ghosts Romano. I don't understand why you don't know what that is. It is the midplate. There are 3 ears on the midplate.

The first pic below shows the midplate by itself. The metal straps are riveted to the ears.

The second pic shows how the midplate sits in relation to the pressure plate. See the 3 "ears". The tip of the ear is what you're seeing from the pic in post 390.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    now I´m totally confused scott :( :( :(

I will have a look tomorrow on my parts here. I think my "middle plate " looks other than yours, but may be I´m wrong.
    I will check tomorrow

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'll be curious to know if yours is different. As far as I know there are only 2 designs. A dual disk and a single disk.

8. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The pics above are of my old clutch I removed years ago. At that time I really only needed a release bearing. As you can see the clutch is in great shape. No burn marks and you can still see the machining marks.

My only problem is that I cannot determine which side of the mid plate is the heavy side. Normally there is one ear that is painted the same as the paint on the pressure plate. But rust has taken its toll and I cannot see which ear was painted.

I found the heavy marks on the pressure plate and both clutch disks. I'm going to have to guess for the mid plate. I have a 33% chance of being right.

Any EASY suggestions for determining the heavy side of the mid plate?

9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    With your luck...I would toss a coin. Start the installation, then unistall and flip it over. It would then most likely be correct . :) (but my real answer is that I have no idea)

10. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What are you REALLY trying to say Tim? I have bad luck? I disagree. I attribute all my problems to simple laziness and a bad attitude, thank you very much :D

And with that, I will use your coin toss suggestion. However, to save time, I will simply do the opposite of what the coin toss outcome is.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You had the shims in the correct places as far as I can see from the photos. If you need new pins, I have quite a few lying around I could send you.

12. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks Howie but no, I had some made. If they work or not has yet to be seen.

I've completed the assembly and I feel much better about the clutch. We'll see how it goes.

This weekend, I really really really hope to be driving her again!

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you have been right scott.
    I was remembering wrong with those "ears". I had an other car here with double disk clutch and there it was different.
    so as I see this middle disk I would say it looks ok, but please check the thickness before installing.

14. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Romano made a mistake???? NEVER!! :)

I was very careful assembling the clutch this time. I measured the washers. They were all 2.02mm. I made sure I had all 6 truarc clips in place. I carefully instaled the midplate and made sure it was not dragging on the pins. I made sure I put the disks in the right order and opposed the weight marks. I made sure I opposed the weight from the flywheel and pressure plate. The only thing I'm not sure of is if I chose the right "ear" for weight. I had a 33.3% chance of getting it right. I'll cross my fingers.

I also took the tranmission apart because it was leaking last time I put it in. I had taken this apart many years ago but I didn't replace the silicone. Now every component under the engine has been sealed. I better not see a single drop of gear lube under that car for a long time. I better not see ANY leaks for a long time.

3 more days till installation....

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    WE also: we cannot wait until we see a small YouTube with YOU DRIVING again !

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what are "truarc clips" ? and why 6? I only know on this clutch 3 clips coming on your self made or special for you made pins.

17. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #417 qwazipsycho, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F chatter Rossa a nord di (Brent) sent me clutch installation instructions as well as his email conversation with AP racing. They are the ones who call them truarc clips. However their install PDF calls them grip rings. Here's the PDF that shows these in detail. And yes, there are 2 per hole so total of 6.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for the pdf scott.
    I just had a look at but can not see somewhere those truarc clips. on page 3 I think those clips are called grip rings? but I can only see 1 for each hole and on my plate there is also only 1 and not 2.

on page 4 there are the spacer shim washers. those are not all 6 equal. those under the spring plate are equal and those laying on the aluminum ring are equal. but you may meassure where the spring from the plate lays on. the thickness of the metall spring is a little different to the little step down of the aluminum ring. normaly the thicknes of the metall spring is about 5-10 /100 mm thinner, so the shims has to be those size thicker then.
    hope you understand what I mean? :)

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There are 2 grip rings per hole. Take a closer look at the pic in the PDF. They both show.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ok scott ! ! !
    when I enlarge I can see 2 rings, but this is unusual ???? but ok

so this weekend you will make 1st test drive? :) :D

wish you good luck ! ! !

21. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Dear Quazipsycho.....please do not go surfing....I do not want a shark to bite you. We must see this finished. GOOD LUCK!

22. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    LOL!

Tomorrow. It will happen.

23. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good morning Romano,

I am heading to bed before the big install tomorrow.

I was just testing things out one last time and I'm not quite happy with the way the shift linkage feels. Don't panic. This is minor.

I'm going to take the cover off the gearbox one more time because when I turn the gearbox control rod left to right as if you were checking to make sure it's in neutral, It drags just a bit between the inner two forks.

Can you give me advice to make sure these shift forks are perfectly lined up? I don't want to do this again once it's in the car.

Paul Colville-Nash likes this.
  24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel

what will happen scott? going surfing and get bite from a shark or testdrive your car? :) :D

to the question about the shift forks:

just now I really don´t know what you mean, the 3 forks on the shiftrods or the "nose" what is on the main rod and you turn left and right with the shifter?

first of all you may adjust the 3 forks on the 3 shifting rods. for this you need to make this as easy as you can a special tool. with this tool you press the 3 balls with the springs to the rods that they are not so easy to move again. those forks have a very little play in the sleeves up and down. so you may fasten them when they are directly in the middle.
    then you adjust the "small fork controlling" ( in the parts catalog no. 15, 16 and 17 ) that they don´t touch each other when they are fastened. the recess in those fork controlling have to be all equal. best to do this is to put some piece of metal inside this recess. so that this metal is all over in those 3 fork controlling recess. when this all is done you may fasten the small forks control lever ( no. 14 ).

then you put in the the 2nd gear and install the engine. always let this 2nd gear in ! ! ! when you then connect the rear gearbox control rod ( 43 ) with the screw ( 27 ) to the gearbox you first put the gearshift lever also into the 2nd gear position. if all is ok the screw no. 27 will just fall into the hole. if not then loose the adjusting tie rod, put the screw no 27 in and then fasten the tie rod again. but let the shifter lever always in the 2nd gear position.
    normaly it is then all adjusted right.

good luck ! ! !

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good morning there scott.

it´s time to have a coffee and start :) :D