RM Auctions: Ferrari 275 GTB/C #09027 - Lord Laidlaw Collection. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RM Auctions: Ferrari 275 GTB/C #09027 - Lord Laidlaw Collection.

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by miurasv, Aug 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    How much money?

2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Correct.
    Money is not the issue, finding the correct mould is more difficult.
    When you have an all original car, it pretty easy to make one, but many moulds are incorrect (made from cars that were already incorrect)
    When stripping the paint one could see if there are any original panels on this particular car.
    If all or most of it is non factory original, you can do a complete rebody in the correct thickness of sheet metal.

3. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    This is not an original body in any case..

4. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    No one seem to be able to indicate if any part of the current body on this car is original or as a consequence of the accidents, a whole new body was constructed for this car at some point.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, I've read that it's been rebodied twice. However, see the following from RM's description:

"The car offered, despite its intense racing life, retains most of its original components, such as its Le Mans engine (number 0014), its original magnesium-cased transaxle (number 672), and its original body shell (number B5), but parts of the aluminium outer skin have been necessarily replaced after the occurrence of hard-fought racing injuries over the years."

6. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    The ex Le Mans car was completely destroyed by fire. I have seen the photos. For a 'normal' car the insurance company would say: total loss. Not to be rebuild.
    But hey this is a Ferrari and not a Ford F150

7. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    One photo I think can be found on the WWW. I have seen many many more photos.

Not all info is correct or complete what an auction house is writing in their catalogues...you need to ask for more info and do your homework.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #33 miurasv, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Finding the correct mould may be difficult but money is always an issue. In saying that rebodying a car is pretty easy to make if you have an original car to copy, do you mean that the cost would not be that great? I'd still like to know how much it would cost to make, install and paint a correct aluminium body in the traditional hammered way.

10. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    They are also quite open and honest regarding the provenance of the other consignments including the Tipo 61 Birdcage, stating that it has had a replacement chassis. Quite refreshing that an auction company doesnt try to fudge.

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, I agree and have commented on that very fact about their full disclosure regarding the Tipo 61 previously.

12. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Correct. Not even 1%.

But for the car we are discussing there is extensive documentation covering the old repairs. Anyone seriously interested to buy can do a due diligence with RM.

13. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Still a great car and agreed re: due dilligence.

14. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    For a correct 275 GTB/C body, find photos of 9041 taken before 1992. I owned the car in the 1977-92 time period and the bodywork was 100% original.

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #40 Marcel Massini, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Following the fire in a CA warehouse (photo #2 in post 33, taken at Mike Sheehan's European Auto Restoration in Costa Mesa, CA) 09079 was completely rebodied in Italy with a brand new body by Carrozzeria Egidio Brandoli in Montale (that's between Modena and Maranello) for then owner Zambelli in Bologna.
    09079 is now owned by two partners in Oregon, USA, since March 2013, and it is currently going thru the factory certification process.

Marcel Massini

16. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Either that or the trailing edge of the rear glass hangs too high.

The hunchback of Modena.

Uglyfied something which we thought could never have been made ugly.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you, Marcel. The body on 09079 should be as original then. See and read the very interesting information on the Brandoli's web site here: http://www.brandoli.it/home.php

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #43 miurasv, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    From what I can gather 09027 had bodywork at Scaglietti on a couple of occasions after being damaged in battle and an accident being transported; minor bodywork at Maranello Concessionaires; major bodywork, not at Ferrari, in the UK in 1975; coachwork at Allegretti in 1985 though it's not stated the extent of their work. You'd have thought that Allegretti would have corrected any inaccuracies then but they may have just been instructed to paint it with no bodywork done; then to a Swiss company where it did have corrections including to the rear. Was this the last place it received bodywork? This is such a great and desirable car that it deserves to go to Classiche, Brandoli or back to Allegretti for it to be returned to original form. I'm quite surprised it didn't do so before now given the calibre of its previous owners.

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It was at Carrosserie Binggeli in Nyon, Switzerland. When Jean Pierre Slavic owned 09027.
    Allegretti has nothing to do with this and is merely a replica builder, not a professional Ferrari restorer. I would NEVER EVER have Ferrari bodywork restored by Allegretti.

Marcel Massini

miurasv likes this.
  20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #45 miurasv, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Isn't Allegretti ex Ferrari? Is it the case that there are very few traditional Italian body restorers that have the ability to accurately restore/manufacture Ferrari bodies to the standard that Brandoli can, and to the high standard deserving of Ferrari? I don't seem to hear of anyone recommending any other houses, which doesn't mean there aren't any of course.

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think Tom knows a decent body shop ;) But he's not Italian, so does that count?

22. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Peter are you speaking of Tom Shaughnessini?
    100% Italian.

23. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    :)

Actually I was refering to another Tom, who posted in this thread.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Of course. It's always good to know where to find genuine, competent craftsmen. They are few and far between in my experience.

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Allegretti is ex Piero Drogo Sport Cars Modena. Allegretti was mostly involved in replica construction. Also built toy cars, various scales.
    Egidio Brandoli, father, used to work for Carrozzeria Scaglietti from 1960 to the mid-70s and built SWBs, Lussos, 275 GTBs and Daytonas. Later set up his own shop which today is in Montale.
    I can also recommend Dino Cognolato in Vigonza near Padova.

Marcel Massini

miurasv likes this.