Fiat 500 US Market | Page 103 | FerrariChat

Fiat 500 US Market

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Pav, Sep 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I ordered an accessory for Brownie...coming from the UK...should arrive in a week or so...

2. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
  3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2553 4re Nut, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rec'd today; installation was a bit sticky...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Towbin Fiat of Vegas has an unbelievable deal on Abarths now

$199/mo lease with $5200 signing. I saw one parked in a shopping mall. I thought it was a 500 but nope-- Abarth. The sign on the window said "Abarth special lease program -- $199/mo!"

Signing number is probably a bit high for most though. Still, $199/mo is darn cheap.

5. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    That is cheap: if I had somewhere to put it, I'd grab one.

I almost bought an Abarth instead of the Maserati last month. Awfully fun little car.

6. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Well, my daughter wants to buy one now.

I don't really see any problem with that - the only thing I'd hate to see happen is that Fiat pull out any time soon - leaving her paying for a car that might be hard to get parts/service for or with a dramatically decreased value.

Thoughts? This would be her first "new" car purchase - I'd hate for it to be a sour experience.

BTW - For the first time ever, I think - it looks like about 40% of the cars on the lot at my local studio are Abarth's. Seems like they can't give them away. :(

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    How much off MSRP are Abarths selling for these days? Any kind of discounts or incentives out there for purchasing one? Also, anyone know good sources to find out true invoice pricing on the cars and option packages?

I've been toying with the idea of buying an Abarth since they first came out. Drifted on to other thoughts for a while, and now find myself thinking about it more and more. Basically I am hankering for a FUN daily driver. My FJ Cruiser is a fine daily driver, but not very fun. My 355 and MG's are fun, but nothing I want to drive back and forth to work and leave parked in the blazing sun all day. The Abarth ticks a lot of boxes: fun, good gas mileage, 4 seats (355 goes unused on a lot of trips where I'd otherwise take it because of our 2 year old), easy to use, unique, sounds good, inexpensive, etc.

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2558 4re Nut, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    Maybe look for a low mileage used one?

I got lucky and came across a 1900 mile Sport that was a trade-in for an Abarth and I paid the price of a Pop.

There are probably some early ones coming off of lease now and I suspect it won't be long until a "certified pre-owned" program is available (if not already).

Are you sure they are the same cars? My dealer has had a good selection of Abarth's for awhile but they seem to be turning them over at a decent rate based on my occasional review of their inventory. Interestingly the "no option" Abarths seem to sit the longest but again this is anecdotal.

Note sure of the reliability of the info but you might try these...

New 2013 FIAT 500 Price Quote w/ MSRP and Invoice

2013 FIAT 500 Abarth Abarth Price With True Market Value<sup>®</sup>

9. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yes. It is a reliable car. I had a 500 Sport that I put 33,000 miles on and traded for an Abarth that I put 25,000 miles on. In my total of almost 60,000 miles I've had no trouble. But don't go by my good experience. Go by objective stats that show that yes, it is a reliable car. Also, sales are getting up there with Mini. Here in the Long Island/NY area I see about two every day. The factory is probably churning out too many and flooding the dealer lots. FIAT is not pulling out anytime soon. They own Chrysler, just introduced the larger 500L, and will launch yet another model in 2015.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    For everyone's information, FIAT Club America's National Convention, the FIAT FreakOut is being held on LI, July 18-21.

Not jut for FIATS. ALL Italian car fans can attend, and ALL Italian cars are welcome to enter the concours.

To attend, there are two steps:

1) Be a member of FIAT Club America
    You can pay full membership for $35, or just for Fiat FreakOut for $20.00

2) Register on line or by mail for all Fiat FreakOut activities.
    There are charges for some things like meals, of course. Drives are free, but you still need to register to plan the event.

All you need to join and register can be found at this link:

https://www.fiatclubamerica.com/fiat-freakout-2013

11. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I'm turning 34,000 miles on my sport - I'm not really concerned - just sort of thinking out loud. If they were to stop selling tomorrow, I wouldn't care and I'd be able to take the depreciation hit. Just thinking along those lines....

12. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Just have her lease then, and the depreciation risk is assumed by someone else.

13. scoobysteve

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
  14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Fiat didn't do too well in the JD Power survey. They were next to bottom. So what say you Fan Boys? Have you had many problems? Be honest, now. (I know, I know, this is the Internet.)

15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #2566 sjmst, Jun 20, 2013
    Saw that. The JD Power Survey logs every negative comment by new owners. So if an owner of FIAT thinks that the seat adjustment handle is too flimsy, that is marked against it as poor quality. Is it? Maybe, depends upon you point of view.

I have a total of over 60,000 miles on my two 500s. Here are the problems that I have had between both cars:

Bubbles appeared in FIAT logo
    Lower body cladding separating on one side (it is taped on)
    The clock does not keep good time.

That's it. My car is a daily driver LI to NJ. Every day, highway, stop and go traffic, potholes daily, rain, snow, heat.

Performs flawlessly.

16. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Ditto here. 19000 miles on the Abarth, daily driver (66 miles round trip). Slow clock. That's about it. Oh, needed new back tires too quickly, but then I did do a couple of track days and drive with a lead foot.

As an aside, Chrysler service departments rebadged as Fiat service don't yet know what they are doing. Maybe that's part of the survey problem.

17. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    2012 Abarth with 11,800 miles
    Clock slow
    Rocker clad issues on both sides
    My car never liked to engage reverse gear and it is getting worse (service scheduled in July to check this out)
    Tires are wearing fast (no track time at all, this is my daily highway driver)

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2569 4re Nut, Jun 20, 2013
    '12 Sport w/21K miles.
    Daily driver, 70 mile round trip interstate commute.
    Problems are the aforementioned bubbling exterior logos and slow clock. Also had a clip break on the shift boot.

A/C might be an issue as we get deeper into summer as I mentioned in this post...

Overall, I'm...

19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  20. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    13K on my Abarth, no issues. The clock was slow the first day, I adjusted it, and it's fine now. One oil change/tire rotation, no issues other than the dealer charged two limbs (arm and leg as I recall).

no other issues so far as a daily driver

21. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Car and Driver had their long term test of a 500. 40k no problems. They are used in rental fleets. I wonder what the spread is from Highly rated cars to lower rated cars in JD Power.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2573 TheMayor, Jun 21, 2013
    Unfortunately, the Fiat 500 comes in one above dead last. Surprising, the last place car is the Scion. "Et tu Toyota?" :)

23. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm curious to see what the FIAT's "problems" are

24. scoobysteve

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    As was stated, JD Power's initial quality survey includes what customers perceive are design flaws or bad choices. So if someone mentioned the Fiat's driving position, that's a "problem." This also means the IQS is very subject to the buyers' propensity to complain, which I would imagine is different among different car makers. For example, something tells me Porsche owners are bit more "brand-proud" than most and unwilling to complain to JD Power. BMW owners (at least according to a service-writer friend) are extremely whiny, especially leased 328 owners.