Non-metric wheels for 512BBis | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Non-metric wheels for 512BBis

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by speer, Mar 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

tires are limited for sure w/ the 17" option. I am going to cast a wider net and look at DOT race rubber from Lee Chapman Racing. I also don't like the idea of the 255's on a 10" wheel. Not enough tire for me.

pcb

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Use 245's in front and 275's rear. A BBI came stock with 240 front and rear. The slightly wider front is irrelevant and the rear comfortably accomodates the 275.

3. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    #53 412monzaindy, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    To my fellow BBi owners: I am very interested in the thread started by Les Arrowsmith with Group 4 over non-metric BBi wheels. I apologize if the following exchanges with Jonathan of Group 4 muddy the waters a bit, but I think we should it wise for us to weigh each of the alternatives available to us in trying to reach a consensus such that we could present Jonathan with enough orders to justify production. Here are the exchanges I recently had with Johathan:

Then if it’s okay, I’m going to post my message about the smaller width wheels on the Ferrarichat website and see if it gets good reactions. I tend to trust Bill Young a lot, and I accordingly think the smaller widths are the way to go. The whole point here, in my opinion, needs to include good availability of tires, and not being wedded to just one manufacturer.

James G. Speer
    Gust Rosenfeld P.L.C.
    One East Washington Street, Suite 1600
    Phoenix, AZ 85004-2553
    602.257.7472 (direct)
    602.254.4878 (fax)

IMPORTANT & CONFIDENTIAL: This message is from the law firm of Gust Rosenfeld P.L.C. and is for the intended recipient only. It is privileged and confidential information exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient, any copying, use or distribution is prohibited. If you received this message by mistake, please call me collect at 602.257.7472 and destroy the original message. Thank you.

Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:30 PM
    To: James Speer
    Subject: Re: BB wheels

Hi James,

I'm not adverse to doing 7 1/2 & 8 1/2, just need to be sure that whatever we do, is what people want. Need to look into this further. All input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Sage, Group 4 Wheels Ltd
    +44 (0)1225 430 502 or +44 (0)7971 988 735 [email protected] group4wheels.com facebook.com/group4wheels

Registered in England No: 8250560
    Registered address: 141 Englishcombe Lane, Bath BA2 2EL
    VAT No: GB144346814

This message is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Unless you are the addressee or authorised agent of the addressee, you may not review, copy, distribute or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained within. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by electronic reply to [email protected] and immediately delete all copies of the message.

On 1 Apr 2013, at 21:05, James Speer wrote:

Hi, Jonathan. I do not mean to confuse matters on the wheel sizes for Ferrari BBis, but here are some thoughts for you and Les Arrowsmith to consider. Your explanations for using 17” wheels are just fine, and we should stick with that diameter. With reference to the width of the wheels, here are some figures.

The original stock wheels of a BBi are 180mm wide on the front and 210mm wide on the rear. Those numbers translate to 7”wide on the front and 8.26” wide on the rear.

The stock TRX tires ( 240/55/415 ) which are the same front and rear have an outside diameter of 27.2” and a cross-section of 9.8”.
    When it comes to finding matching tires for front and rear, the use of 8” and 10” wide wheels front and rear produces virtually no sets of matching tires from more than one or two manufacturers at the very most.

What would you think of making the widths of the wheels to be manufactured 7 ½ ” front and 8 ½ ” rear? That would allow for the use of tires sized 235/55/17 both front and rear – the same size front and rear just as is done with the stock TRX tires. The measurements of the 235/55/17 tires compare extremely favorably and, indeed, are virtually identical to the stock TRXs we run now. 235/55/17s have a diameter of 27.2”, just like the TRXs, and a cross-section of 9.8”, just like the TRXs. We would accordingly wind up with the same 235/55/17 tires front and rear, which can easily fit on both 7 ½ “ and 8 ½ “ wheels with the added benefit of a large assortment of available manufacturers in that size from Tire Rack or other tire suppliers. At tire rack alone, there are zx speed rated reasonably priced tires from Michelin Pilot Sport, Pirelli P Zero, Goodyear Eagle, Dunlop, Yokohama, Sumitomo, BF Goodrich, Continental, Bridgestones, Kumho and Hankook, perhaps among others, all with almost identical diameters and widths as what we are running now.

I reiterate that we should think very seriously about the possible effects on differentials if we stick with 10” wide wheels on the rear. The important comparison for our purposes is the one between the BBis and the early TRs. The early TRs had the same diffs as the BBis, but the TRs’ rear tires had larger contact patches than the BBis’ TRXs. It resulted in more torque, more wear on half-shafts and more wear on diffs of the TRs, leading to very costly diff repairs. The additional torque that would be visited on the BBis by the larger contact patches with 10” wide wheels would necessarily expose the BBis to the same diff repairs at $10,000 a pop. It is not only the size of the larger contact patch that will be working against us but the grippier tires that modern technology and rubber are producing. The alternative of putting 8” wide tires all around would not work either because those wheels and wider tires at the front would present clearance problems. BBis neither need nor want appreciably wider tires on the rear, and I am concerned enough about this – and the problem with availability of proper tire fitments -- that I would probably opt out of buying the existing proposal of 8”wide wheels for the front and 10” wide wheels for the back.

The bottom line: what are your thoughts of going with 17x7 ½” fronts and 17x8 ½” rears?

James G. Speer
    Gust Rosenfeld P.L.C.
    Phoenix, AZ 85004-2553
    602.257.7472 (direct)
    602.254.4878 (fax)

IMPORTANT & CONFIDENTIAL: This message is from the law firm of Gust Rosenfeld P.L.C. and is for the intended recipient only. It is privileged and confidential information exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient, any copying, use or distribution is prohibited. If you received this message by mistake, please call me collect at 602.257.7472 and destroy the original message. Thank you.

Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2013 12:22 PM
    To: James Speer
    Subject: Re: BB wheels

Hi James,

The reason why we chose 17" is purely down to tyre availability, 16s were always an odd size with limited availability and I believe will go the same way as 15s, perhaps even more so. We were also swayed by the positive response from a 3 piece 17" that is currently on the market. The recommended width for the 10" is 255.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Sage, Group 4 Wheels Ltd
    +44 (0)1225 430 502 or +44 (0)7971 988 735 [email protected] group4wheels.com facebook.com/group4wheels

Registered in England No: 8250560
    Registered address: 141 Englishcombe Lane, Bath BA2 2EL
    VAT No: GB144346814

This message is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Unless you are the addressee or authorised agent of the addressee, you may not review, copy, distribute or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained within. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by electronic reply to [email protected] and immediately delete all copies of the message.

On 28 Mar 2013, at 20:05, James Speer wrote:

I had a brief discussion this morning with Bill Young of G. T. Car Parts here in Phoenix, Arizona (623.780.2200). He has been in the Ferrari parts business for well over thirty years, and knows Ferraris to say the least. He suggested that consideration be given to 16 inch instead of 17 inch wheels, and that the widths be 9 inches on the rear and 71/2 to 8 inches on the front. He is concerned that the lower profile tires on 17 inch wheels will ride too harshly and will not look as good as TRXs. His point is that the Boxer needs a higher profile tire than the 50 and 55 aspect ratios we are considering with the widths we are considering. He noted in this respect that the actual height of the nonmetric BBi wheels is 16.33 inches, which is a fair deal less than 17 inches. He pointed out that the Testa Rossas that followed the BBis all used 16 inch wheels. He noted that 10 inch widths might (or probably will ) lead to differential problems due to the added grip ( a problem he has encountered with people putting wider wheels and tires on both Boxers and Testa Rossas ). Neither he nor I have at this point looked at the availability of tires for the 16 X 71/2-8 or 16 X 9 sizes of wheels. Les: what do you think: do Bill’s comments make sense? If either of you are interested in emailing Bill, his email address is [email protected]. I’m sure he’d be happy to respond to any questions you might have. Just some thoughts!

James G. Speer
    Gust Rosenfeld P.L.C.
    Phoenix, AZ 85004-2553
    602.257.7472 (direct)
    602.254.4878 (fax)

5. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I have just now caught this thread and I haven't read through all of its content yet so please excuse me if I seem misinformed as to the state of the present conversation, but I am definitely an interested party in any production of non metric wheels for BB's. So if anyone is keeping a tab on interested parties- I would be one.

That said- I am posting an HRE wheel that I was considering as a point of interest to anyone looking for a substitute to keep the look of the original wheels, yet offer the advantages of up to date wheels & tires.

Perhaps they are a candidate to develop a one piece wheel.

Again, if you guys have covered all this already, please excuse me...I'm about to do the reading on what's been said on this subject...

6. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    #56 MoeD, Apr 4, 2013
  7. Mario Pano

Mario Pano Formula Junior

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Why is so many of you obsessed with having non original rims made to look original and think that the diameter of the tires if the same as TRXs would accomplish what?
    There is no originality doing this or an improvement in performance....so what is the point?
    I can picture a car with 235/55/17s will look funny and it will not even perform as the originals as it will have less sidewall and the same diameter theoretically but in actual performance it will roll very different .

This is all pointless.....I can see having the rims look similar but all this scare about diffs blowing and why wider tires are no good for the BBs show nothing more but the fact that owners of these cars know very little about what they are.

In back in the old days they were running these cars with wide rubber if they had to perform.

The TRXs are a great tire back then for all around all weather use.

If you want performance go to modern tires size and all and if you want original look and do not care or understand performance buy some more TRXs .....if can not afford TRXs while you do not want real performance get another car.

There is plenty to choose from out there on rims and 285s are the minimum to run at the rear and if I was doing it again I would go for 315s

Mario

8. CambioManuale

CambioManuale Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #58 CambioManuale, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Mario, parli italiano?

As you know, the TRXs today are a problem. They dont make them. Full stop. Will they make them again? Yes, BUT when is a big mystery.

In the meantime, I have no tires left. What do I do? Do I go for the TRX /45 front tires as used on the early TR and put my /55 front tires on the back? (my front tires still have some life in them) or

Do I change the wheels?

I want my car to be as original as possible. I dont care if she drives better with modern tires, as I can drive modern cars which I am sure drive better than the BB.

The wheels produced by that Group4 co look really nice because, in my honest and very humble opinion, they do not look as vulgar as many other non stock larger wheels that I saw on other BBs.

Those guys seemed to be pretty clueless. They still dont know what measure to produce (something that look closer to original size or larger?) and they think they might be able to make them in 4/5 months. Which is great timing indeed as most of our cars will be going back to storage for the winter by then.

I cannot help by agree that the correct measure should be 17x7 ½” fronts and 17x8 ½” rears.

Again, at the phone they did not feel very motivated, and this is somewhat worrying.

9. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Jolly good Speer!

May I suggest that you insist with Group 4 that they make the wheels painted in the exactly same colour code of the original wheels for the BBi?

10. speer

speer Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    phoenix, az
    Full Name:
    jim speer
    Hello, J. From the commnents previously made by Jonathan at Group 4, I don't think that duplicating the original color of the wheels will be a problem. It is the dimensions of the wheels that requires our attention and some degree of consensus. With all due respect to Mario, the numerous brands of tires that would be (a) readily available in the same designs for both front and rear, and (b) virtually duplicative of the dimensions of the TRXs we're now running, leads me to opt for the 17 X 7 1/2 and 17 X 8 1/2 sizes. You seem to be on board with that as well. We'll see what develops with our other owners.

11. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    I might be interested in picking up a set if they offered them in 18" size as that is what I need to clear the larger brakes on my Boxer.

12. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Since I first bought my BB, I have been hoping for a set of non metric wheels/tires I could use and put my original set-up away because newer tires are far superior than TRX's in exploring the car's potentials.

I, for one, have kept my eye on the aftermarket designs that are reminiscent of the original Boxer design for this reason only.

If a set of non metric wheels/tires were produced mimicking the original wheels/tires- I'd very well be interested in a set.

13. Mario Pano

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Bill has some good points but what size would you run on 16s

I think 17s is the only option.

Something like 7.5 and 9.5 would allow to run the same rubber for skinnier and wider tires in different profiles.

I think the proposed 8 and 10 is the best compromise and there should be the original color added to the choices of finish.

Personally I wished they run the 10s at rear and some even wider ones for the ones like me that like the car to look good and handle.

Mario

14. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    The problem is that a lot of guys want the most original looking set-up with the taller sidewalls, while others want something more modern & aggressive.

I agree with you about the 8 & 10 set-up with 17" rims & lower profile tires, but I question whether that's better for an aftermarket set up.

I think from reading the discussion there's a large component of people who just want a wheel as close to the factory original in size & profile as possible.

I for one would at the very minimum, like to see a wider tire in the rear- The car is begging for it.

I think it's going to be a very hard consensus to get everyone to agree on what to order.

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #65 SCantera, Apr 6, 2013
    Razzo 17" wheels by Carobu Engineering. Too much bling in my opinion but they do work well on s/n 35411.......which has a lowered suspension.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Mario Pano

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There is no modern tire at any size that would give you the sidewall width and exact tread size at exactly the same diameter as original TRxs and also same revolutions per mile.

Take the bling out of those Caribu rims and you have a hot looking car.
    Is not that I do not like bling....on my car for example being white the extra shine on part of the rims makes the car look better.

I have never seen a BB lowered to factory specs that does not look a thousand times better than stock even more so if the wheel wells are filled in.

When the big gaps go away the eye gets occupied by the awesome lines of the BB.
    Look at the 365s they all look better being lower at the rear and the BB and BBi even better if set the same way since they have the extra room at the rear in width ....some 365 also look really goofey with rims that would fit a BB or BBi since the rear tires stick out of the fenders.

Another reason that these new rims should be for the BB and BBi not 365s and done right at the rear so 10 rears is marginal depending on of set.

Also look at all the factory drawings on every manual or repair manual for all BBs.
    I do not see any drawings showing the cars being lifted up with big gaps under the fenders to the tire and instead they all look with very little gap and even front to rear.

So what the car gets in the middle of Ferrari not being able or willing to make it US legal, so here come the extra height ....bumper laws in the US.....has anyone take notice where these cars have the front bumper at, if lowered to factory specs?

Lets get all these cars out there quit looking goofey and enjoy the extra performance as icing on the cake.

For the ones concerned be aware there is plenty of tires out there that are not super sticky and ride great and very inexpensive (as continentals DW)

Lets all talk about an ideal set up that would give these cars versatility in tire selection and the look that makes them show what they are when engineered and not what they became to satisfy demands and regulations that are meaningless today.

Trying to keep diameters original is silly....there is no such a thing...they all different on 365,BB and BBi and BBi with wore out TRXs ....I see no point.

Anything close to 26 inch at the rear should be good enough.

It will be a mistake to build these rims with wrong of sets and wrong widths trying to creat the best compromise for marketing reasons.

Try to picture the Caribu car photo with original looking 17s in factory color and the same size tires.

Maybe we should create a poll and have all interested to buy a set post what size tires they would like to run on their car and why.

Mario

17. Mario Pano

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I agree with the bling on that color car.

Why do they not work well with the lower suspension.

Please mention the problems the car has in performance as we might be able to differentiate between goofs in suspension set up versus the point of this post as it relates to size of tires ,rim specs and car height and looks.

Mario

18. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yes, and I am ready to try those rims. It would also be intersting to see if the car be lowered a little bit. But nothing nasty, just a little sportier. No bling, no vulgar things on her.

Actually, I am ready to test those wheels now, but if Group4 goes on in not deciding, then we will get the rims in ... 2014? Please chase them Speer!!

19. CambioManuale

Jul 18, 2004
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jay
    MICHELIN TRX 240/55 UPDATED:

Just called Michelin Classic at Customer service : + 33 (0)4 73 41 75 00

And...

Nothing. Maybe in May - Maybe in June. Maybe in July, I added. So, they have not a clue. Allegedly Michelin moved their classic production to Serbia and there they have some omologation problems for the 240/55 TRX. I tried to investigate a little bit, but the guy knew nothing.

So... GROUP4 are you going to make those wheels, or not?

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #70 SCantera, Apr 10, 2013
    Hi Mario........Sorry my comments might have been a bit confusing. I do like the style and the way the wheels and tires fill the wheel well. What I don't like is the polished shine.
    From a performance standpoint the lowered suspension works very well. I had the car up to 150 and it felt glued to the pavement. I had the car on the track at Sebring and it has a confident feel. I think the suspension set up is a vast improvement over stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. F1Austin

F1Austin Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Near Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Pat Welch
    Great cars,,Im wondering if you TR/Boxer guys change springs and where do you get them? Thanks ,Pat

22. Mario Pano

May 24, 2006
    Where ever fun goes
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That is fine ,this car looks awesome and I love this photo.

Even though the rear looks worse on the photo than it should being at full bump on that side the rear still looks like it can use more tire.

What are you running for size in tire and rim and are the of sets on the rims stock?

I would love to hear what spring rate do you run front and rear also .

Nice to see a BB being built and doing what it does best!

Mario

23. ferraripete

i think the rear needs even more wheel than is pictured from the sebring shot. the 10's do not fill out the rear fender flare.

i think 17" x 11" for the rear and try 315/35/17 like i have on my porsche.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have carobu rims without bling. Tate had the metal lightly media blasted. The slight frosty. Finish is natural and looks close to stock if a little darker.

My rear tires are 275 pland fronts245, Michelin ps2's which may be overkill. Consider many put later tr tryres on bbi and those are 280's the stock front are 240's.

I used some suspension setup ideas from Mario. My steering is infinitely more alive direct and lighter than stock. The car is so much more planted, alive and responsive that I think anyone running stock tryres is missing half the car.

If you're thinking 16's then why not just put bb wheels on your car.
    17 is optimal and has great tyre choices.
    I am traveling but will post some pics in 2 weeks.

Finally there is a stock looking wheel, no reason not to do the upgrade. It's like refusing to
    Update the ignition.
    Frankly I think there are a lot of talking heads here on this subject, mostly too cheap to do the upgrade.

Lets stop the pointless debate that has gone on for years. The wheel size is 17 try match the stock color, and offer bronze or charcoal finish for those who want it.

Next winter I am going to do the carobu shock rebuild upgrade so I can set ride height.

Would you like your bb to steer more like. A lotus or gt3. Would you like really good steering feedback, a more reactive car, plus the whole thing feeling more planted. want you boxer to run as it should, having that race bred suspension work with proper tyres instead of a 70's sedan car compromise. stop whinging and debating, there is no debate, get on with it and get the wheels.

25. ferraripete

sean...the wheels are not even available yet. they have not even completed a proof of concept as far as we know.