The best TR recreation ever | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The best TR recreation ever

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Enigma Racing, Mar 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Understood; it's the creative license (i.e., lies) taken in the adverts on some of these cars that I find disgusting. Clearly nothing having to do w/ Mr. Twyman.

2. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Motor dealers being creative with the truth. Never !!!!

You will be telling that Father Christmas does not exist next.

K

3. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Really bad behavior.

Lies.

4. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    On a different note did Chris Evans buy that rather lovely TR replica from Jeo Macari? I thought I saw him driving it in a YouTube video. Looked lovely.

5. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Do not know about Macari but the rep he painted white which was sold a coupe of years ago through DK I believe was also originally built by them.

K

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    You do realize that this is exactly how every single replica has been described through the years. You only forgot the part where Stirling Moss who raced an original in 1955 edition of Tour de Pizza, could not tell it apart from a real one.

7. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Funny and true but not all replicas are built to the same standard.

There are good and bad examples.

Silly advert aside, I think this is a very good example

8. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    yes he did and still has it

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #34 bigodino, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello Kim,

Do you maybe know why Goodwood accepts replicas? I really don't understand it. I bet they have a lot of interest and can choose whoever they want to enter. Yet there are always replicas and sadly, it is not always clear to the general public.

Case in point is this TR replica, sitting next to a real one at Goodwood in 2007 and the only difference in description is the "type" (whatever that means).

I think most can perfectly accept replicas at events like Goodwood when there are no original ones left. But a TR?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #35 Enigma Racing, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Peter

Your picture made me smile. The illustrated "real" comparison 0738 owned by Carlos Monteverde has a replica body which is my opinion is wrong and to me it is somewhat ironic that you believe that this is a better representation of the marque than Neils car.

Some retrospective race events maintain their "original only policy" however a number have relaxed this requirement in order to create a more interesting grid. Unfortunately increased values have resulted in many cars being stored and no longer raced with the result that the grids have become very boring. Who wants to watch a race made up of 911's and E types ?

I agree with the policy that preference should always be given to original cars. I also believe events such as Goodwood are more about entertainment and crowd enjoyment rather than the disciplines associated with a concours competition. Thankfully the selection committee also see it this way.

Once again I shall be running my replica TDF up the hill at this years FOS. Last year a record 185,000 people attended the event. A small number will be disappointed that the car is a replica. A slightly larger number will even know what model it is. The large majority will simply enjoy the sight and sound of a beautiful car being driven in anger.

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    There's no point to have any further discussions with you on replicas. Your quote says it all and really made my eyes roll.

12. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #37 Enigma Racing, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    I hope your eyes have stopped rolling !

My point is that both cars in your photograph have replica bodies one better than the other IMO.

Do you believe it is better to accept an original car by virtue of it's chassis number irrespective of the standard or accuracy of the car ?

K

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Don't worry about me Kim. I know there are different views out there, like yours. They also happen to be wrong. Just kidding, sort of.

To me there's no doubt that 0738 is the real deal. Even if it has no longer its original body (or should it have kept the ugly Drogo body?)
    Neil's car might be very well built, but it's an imposter even going so far that it has fake patina on the Scuderia shields. Who was he trying to fool? Not the knowledgable fans. Right hand drive TR?

But I'm done discussing (this time for real). It's always the same arguments against and for replicas.

Best, Peter

14. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Neil has made a career out of fake patina. Restoring "platinum cars" back to as an original state as possible. Thankfully there are still clients prepared to pay for work such as removing the top layers of paint to reveal the original and in filling the gaps.

We are indeed "done" on the subject. We agree on preserving and promoting original Ferraris but we disagree on the motivation behind cars like this. I sincerely hope we meet at Goodwood even if you need to wear a disguise to do so.

Kind regards

KIM

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I'd be happy to meet up and talk about cars, I'll buy you a drink. This year I'm not going to Goodwood but probably next year again (Revival).