Ferrari LaFerrari - the next Special Limited Series | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari - the next Special Limited Series

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Peloton25, Mar 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm going to change my screen name to Guy LaGuy.

no wait that makes me sound like a hockey player from Quebec.

ridiculous name, and I think the black roof is going to prematurely age the car, but otherwise I like it.

for 950 bhp the top speed seems a bit low...is that because all the power isn't available for top speed runs? ie KERS only works in shorts bursts.

2. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Wow. Looks to be an epic car. I was worried when I saw some renderings, but it looks amazing. It's a huge technological achievement, and it looks much better than the Huayra and P1.

I still don't understand the "LaFerrari" name, but it's better than F150, I guess.

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #528 SefacHotRodder, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Personally I'm disappointed. As stated earlier it does look like a souped up 458. I was hoping for much more however from a technical standpoint I'm sure the car is amazing. I don't hate it and hopefully it will grow on me as the Enzo did.

As I watch the unveiling for some reason i vision another small Italian man standing in the back of the crowd with wired rimmed glasses and gray hair smiling as he walked back to his own booth. I'm still a Ferrari fan to this day but I feel at the company had their chance to knock this 1 out of the park and they missed. Still a amazing piece of engineering I'm sure and I can't wait to see it on the road. My favorite part of the car is the cockpit however I feel that same little Italian man with the wire glasses is one upping a much larger company and doing so with 50 employees.

Good job Ferrari on building a fast car...not my favorite but I will accept it.

5. 250GTTDFZagatoCoupe

Nov 4, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh Richter

6. avishar

avishar Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    bangalore,india
    Full Name:
    avishar dutta
    Some points.

1.KERs system is always on,regenerating energy from braking and helping to assist engine in low down torque/cornering.

Does that mean the electric engine cannot be totally be disengaged from providing power? For eg mode for an "engine only" ride?

2.60kgs for the battery is brilliant! Any articles explaining the technical details?

3.Does the rear wing work as a air brake also?(must have missed this one).

4.Does that front scoop act as an extractor?

Apologies if they have been answered.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I really like it. I think it's nicely balanced.

8. TorontoR

TorontoR Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    The wheels seem to be 'in' the car versus the more aggressive look of being just in line with the body. I agree with others here, I like every angle except the rear quarter panel which looks bulky. I see some p4/5 cues and of course a lot of the 458 DNA as well, not bad things.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    You can have the black roof left to be exposed carbon fiber instead as an option.
    Ferrari now confirming top speed is in excess of 217MPH

10. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    I think part of this is scale. In a picture, cars with similar design language cars can look a lot more similar than they do in real life. Pretty sure if you put an LF next to a 458, there would be no confusing the two.

11. Skovbo

Skovbo Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2012
  12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I still thnk the alternate color roof thing is a bit played out now, but to each their own.

217 still seems a bit low if indeed 950 bhp is available for top speed runs...Enzo did that with 650 bhp and the F1 was 240-ish with about the same. so does the LeCar have a ton of drag? really short gearing? or is it not really 950 bhp all the time?

I guess it's somewhat irrelevant but an interesting technical question.

13. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That's pretty cool, I wish they would have done the showcar that way. Are they announcing anything about the second version today?

14. Skovbo

Skovbo Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2012
    I agree. The KERS is impressive.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Pretty slick!

Like to know more about the active aero which appears in the underbody I between front wheels and the rear spoiler and rear diffuser.

No Pininfarina badges :(

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Applying real world standards to such a car is pointless but going after V-Max compromises too many other attributes. See Veyron.

17. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1000 I feel the exact same way about pretty much everything that has come out in the last few years, look at the new Vette and the new Lambo etc etc.

18. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think it is tires - sustained speeds any higher would require different tire construction, and thus would alter the performance of the car in other areas in an unfavorable way. The P1 is in the same range, and electronically limited.

>8^)
    ER

19. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I agree. I was just hoping it would be a HUGE step up away from the 458 which I do like. It doesn't look like 10 years of advanced design. However I do like the trick diffuser. A lot more subtle than the Huayra but I am having a hard time deciding if I like subtle on this car. It's still very new to all of us and the Enzo had the same effect on me at first although I like the front of the Enzo more for sure. Time will tell.

The name makes no sense but they built it so they can call it what they like. However if I was a buyer I don't think I'd like having that across the back of my million dollar ride.

20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    At the first photos I didn't think the pointy nose meshed well with especially the curvacious rear end, but looks better in the videos.
    The black stripe trailing back and up from the side air channels reminds me of the F50, nice touch.
    Side intake shape are basically a mirror of the side window outline. Interesting visual element.

Definitely a large dose of P4/5 in the greenhouse!

The name sounds French.
    Can shorten it to the "LaFer" :)

Don't think this has been directly posted here yet, here's a nicely done visual overview of some technical highlights:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waZuJw27BuY&list=LL-i32YPW7WSt5OSEUvGOaAQ]LaFerrari - focus on vehicle dynamics - YouTube[/ame]

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes. Bummer.

22. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I think the person you are referring to is not Italian......

23. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #548 merstheman, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    My 2 cents on this car:

I could hardly wait to wake up today and have a look, and my initial reaction upon seeing it was very very positive, which is a good thing.

Looking at the car more closely I see they certainly took the 458 as inspiration, and dare I say it it even has a few similarities to Clapton's SP12 on the side profile.

Having said that, I feel it is a very good looking car, especially from the rear, and a LOT better looking to me than P1, which I thought was boring in it's extreme functionality. I love the mirrors, even if Pagani had that solution on their car earlier. I think the Porsche 918 perhaps still looks the best of the 3 big name hyper cars (I don't think the Veneno applies) - and I surprise myself in saying this - but that's because I've been more used to it since it's been revealed for so long. Also, I think if Ferrari had put in some effort into designing more unique wheels there would be less comparisons to the 458. Those wheels are the only uninspired thing on the car.

It's a bit sad that car design has become absolutely victimized by physics/functionality, but it's evolution, and I welcome it despite my initial misgivings. I do think the LaFerrari is a great effort at making the purposeful/functional hypercar classically beautiful. I fell in love with it as I did with almost every Ferrari hypercar. I just hope I still love it in the coming years, but my bet is that I will. Unfortunately I will probably never own one so that's a moot point.

Congrats to all of you who are buying the car, I think you've made the right choice. I couldn't care less about Ring times or 0 - xxx - 0 records... I just think it's a car that will inspire many people who have the chance to see it. I think only Ferraris have that special something.

By the way, no one's commented on the active aero on the underbody. Jim? What do you think? Does Ferrari's take on active aero surprise you?

P.S. I think the name is a piece of ****. But I like someone's suggestion of abbreviating it to LF... That's what I'll do from now on.

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    possibly.

but they could turn that into the next hypercar pissing match...Bugatti already threw down the gauntlet there with ridiculously expensive tires. maybe replacement tires for the LeCar could be $250k! that invoice will impress everyone over at L4P ;)

25. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    We have a winner - see 308/328 section !