Road & Track "P.S." Boxer Photo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Road & Track "P.S." Boxer Photo

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gsm348, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    What could be made available?

Large-size giclee? Large-size photo?

Would be very interested in having a large-scale image hanging in the garage. I may still have the original clipping I saved from WAY back, although I would have no idea where to start looking for it.

CW

Robert Gross likes this.
  2. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    #27 tonyrobertson, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    Pretty sure I took the photo in October 1982. It was published in early 1983, I think.
    I don't even have a copy of the original issue! I know it was published in a 1999 issue called Best of PS, but they didn't give me a photo credit.
    I was unaware that it was subsequently published in later editions of R&T. If anyone has the page from the Jan. 2007 issue that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I would love to see it.
    As far as copies of the photo, I only own the rights to the photo, not the wording underneath.
    If there was enough interest, i could be persuaded to make a limited number of prints, if everyone could agree on a size and a fair value.
    Also, I have about 50 different angles on this crash, but I only sent R&T 3 options and they chose the one you all know.
    Tried to post a picture of the contact sheet, but was unable to. Maybe I don't have enough posts.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I still remember seeing the image when R&T first published it. Some things just stick in your mind!

Thanks for the story!

(But Tony....Are you sure about the dates in your above post?)

Jack.

4. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    #29 tonyrobertson, Mar 2, 2013
    Ooops, you're right of course, 1982 photo taken, 1983 published. I was only off by 20 years. Above post edited.

5. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    #30 chabch, Mar 2, 2013
    Count me in if you decide to make a limited series. I think 11x14 would be great. In terms of price, you're the artist, it has to feel fair to you first, then you'll see how many people follow.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i would like to participate in the group buy as well.

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi tony, the car looks like a bb and not a bbi ? And I don't recall in 82 a Ferrari dealer other than gentry lane in downtown Toronto. Do you know where the car ended up after you took the pic ? This pic has been very popular around here for many years, it's pretty cool talking to the guy that was involved. Any pics from that show room in st.catherines ? Can you post any of those 50 pics you took of this accident ?

8. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Tony,
    Thanks so much for filling-in some of the big blanks we've had about this photo - truly one of those iconic ones for so many of us, which makes you an icon in your own way, too :D
    I'm sure I've still got my original R&T of it tucked away in a box.

Count me in for a bigger copy for framing.
    We'd all love to see whatever others you've got of the scene, too.

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Heyyy.....I love the boxer girls. I hope all of them graduate from their 308's opps....I mean bb's to the most extravagant, over the top production Ferrari ever made....the Testarossa! :D

.....hey now....my Lamborghini might be waiting for a module but......the doors go up!

Even though I'm a TR guy, that picture is classic! Count me in for a 3 X 5 poster version.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

10. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    #35 tonyrobertson, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's one of the contact sheets from that day. I don't have any other prints.
    I will look into printing up some large prints for those interested.
    Red, Performance Cars in St Catharines was a Jag, Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo, Subaru dealer.
    But they also sold used cars. I'm pretty sure this Boxer was not brand new. Is anyone on this thread in the Toronto area?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

atebby and Robert Gross like this.
  11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Really, cool Tony. I would like to purchase if you do a printing.

Robert Gross likes this.
  12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Awesome pictures Tony !

Yes, a few Ontario's here out in the oakville, Burlington , Toronto way.

Thanks for sharing those pics, many of us wondered if there were ever more pics of this one incident.

I'm sure glad I requested, any chance to blow them up on line ? This would be a long lasting great thread !

Thank you again for sharing, and glad nobody was physically hurt.

How was his demeanor as you were snapping the pics ?

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    nice pictures

so at the right time at the right location

14. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Thank you Tony! I would also like to be counted in.

Perhaps consider this: a large blow up of the originally published photo, and underneath the large original include other shots in small frames lining the bottom. Of course, I don't know how much work or expense that would involve.

15. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #40 Rock, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    I would love to have a copy of the photos, place me on the list

I was subscibing to R&t in 83 (my first year of subscription) and may still have that issue.

what about the serial number? has it been posted?

16. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Yes, some sort of montage might be really cool. If in a larger format, such as poster size, maybe a headliner/eye catcher at top, with some selected shots underneath.

Pls put me on your contact list, if/when you're ready to roll on this...

Might also be neat to have a few of the better shots(including the published one) available as single pics. I don't know enough about photo stuff to know how large you could blow these up before they fuzz up, but something larger than 8x10 singles might do the trick.

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd be interested as well. I bet if you did a run of 50 or 100, you could sell them.

18. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I'll take one as well. Your choice for size/ format, Tony. If you present options I'll be more selective, but, if not, I'm interested in what you'd make available.

Forms,
    David

19. gsm348

gsm348 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow....very cool, six years after my inquiry it looks like we may have a chance to acquire this after all. Naturally I am interested.

Greg

20. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Greg six years isn't bad, I saw the photo in 1983( I have been waiting longer than you).

I wanted a 365 bb in 1977 when I was in grade six or seven.

21. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I'd be interested. I like what he said above. My suggestion is for something a little smaller than a full size poster (18" x 24") . I'd prefer higher resolution. Please let us know what you have to offer.

Also glad nobody was hurt. I've known serious mishaps on the track w 308's where the drivers walked away. Don't know of any w BB and have heard rumblings / assumptions about driver not being as protected. How bad was the damage? Do you know if it was repaired?

Robert Gross likes this.
  22. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Oddly enough, before reading this resurrected thread today I was thinking of this exact photo. I don't know why. If Tony can get them done, that'd be great, and count me in.

Otherwise, I'd be happy to get the printing done ONLY after correct attribution and royalty for our friend Tony. However that's to work is fine by me. Love that photo. I believe either Ted West or Peter Egan did the caption. I can ask Egan about the caption attribution/release.

Anyway, I'm interested. Tony, let me know if or how I can help, but put me down for one regardless.

23. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Tony, going back to post #27 in this thread, and your question about the January 2007 issue of Road & Track, your picture is included in the article "The Road & Track 50", described as "A collection of recommendations, things that each enthusiast should do, plus recollections and reflections on places, events, books, motion pictures and other items of interest." There it is, at #50, your famous picture, "Last, But Not Least, Share A Laugh With Us..." You ARE given a photo credit.

24. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    Miltonian, appreciate that info. I will have to see if any friends have a copy of it.
    AHudson, I believe it was Peter Egan who wrote the caption, but if you can confirm it with him, even better.
    I like the idea of a bit of a montage. I'll look into it this week if I have time.
    Thanks to current technology, if anyone is interested, you can see the exact spot, more or less, where this accident happened. On google maps, go to Glenridge Ave St. Catharines, Ontario Canada. Look for the intersection of Lockhart Drive, and go a little into the wooded area, just after the curve. That's the spot!

25. evgeny_yu

evgeny_yu Karting

Feb 26, 2011
    Moscow, Russia
    Full Name:
    Evgeny
    I'm also interested in a print of some kind, so count me in.