The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina | Page 269 | FerrariChat

The Enzo reimagined.... Jim's Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by MarkPDX, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    When they want to I'm sure the mods will split it off as they did to the thread that was started in this one and became the P 4/5 Competizione Thread.

What do you all think about this direction for our next project?

2. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #6702 Napolis, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This project is not using the design you've mentioned previously that felt was as good or better than the P 4/5?

4. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That looks incredible, light and purposeful.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I wanted to say this earlier but I was a bit hesitant. Since you asked though, here we go. Why use a TT engine with such low weight? Turbochargers add weight and complexity. Is it a restriction imposed by the engine manufacturer?

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #6706 Napolis, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We're looking at proposals from several designers. I'm very optimistic that this one will be a stunner but keep in mind that any design will have to live on the much smaller platform we're developing.

Think of the size difference between Dino Competizione and Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Because we still want a lot of HP. We're considering several engines. TTV8's, TTV6's and even TTV4's. TTV8's will probably be too big and heavy but we're looking at a lot of possibilities.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Ok, so you might hold on to that design that you mentioned before.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This will be a totally new design.

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    With the Dino as inspiration and those ideas this project will really be great. What chance you are going to possibly use the Maserati 3.8 turbo V8.....

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That is one of the engines we're considering. We're also considering it for our next race car which will be a DP for GA/ALMS.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    How much power if I may ask?

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Those down here who drove the QP in Italy were quite impressed by the new TT motor. Out of interest I assume any TT engine you use would be tuned to deliver a great sound?

I would imagine that engine is fairly detuned for the QP and could deliver quite a bit more power.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    In endurance tune about 620HP from the TT 3.8. The others would be less but
    would weigh less and be smaller as well.

If we can get down to 1800lb 400hp would be fine.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No matter what we'll have great sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8uVDN3tMIU]Ferrari P4/5 Competizione LOUD Sound! - YouTube[/ame]

16. pamparius

pamparius Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    germany
    a few days ago you mentioned in another thread that you quite enjoy driving in spiders. will the car have any kind of a removeable top?

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's a good question. The new Avevtadore Spyder is stiffer than the coupe with roof panels clamped down so I'm considering it.

One amazing design only works as a coupe so I'm not yet sure.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Getting a car that light yet strong enough to handle that kind of power to meet safety specs should be a challenge.

19. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Jim--

Love the stated direction for the project, but what are your thoughts re: the industry's perception of the final result?

I think this is fair to ask because P4/5 generated such a sensational public response, and also, particularly, because Ferrari as a brand responded both negatively (failure to support P4/5C // CM) and positively (design inspirations for F70).

By building P4/5, your team redefined the industry's integration of aerodynamics and design. Will the driving dynamics/performance of this new one-off have the same effect on the industry with regard to its specific superior characteristics? Do you want it to effect that type of change change?

Sorry to be lengthy; your influence in the automotive world is unique and I believe that whatever you do from here on out will generate a large response.

20. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    In regards to changing industry direction: I really hope it would inspire other manufacturers to make some quality small sports cars.

A good looking quick 4 cylinder(possibly even a smallish 6 cyl) with awesome tech would be really cool. So far all we have is Sub/Toyota BRZ at the cheap end of the market and Lotus/Alfa 4c at upper end.

Lotus is way outdated in looks and the 4c could be a little more aggressive imo......

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Here's the thing. Hypercars today have massive HP and are very complex. F70/P1/918 are hybrids and that has added a lot of weight. P 4/5 C is a Hybrid and as a race car worked well but it too gained weight and complexity. Frankly in racing I think KERS and TERS as being used in F1 will work but on the street I'm not convinced that it's the best solution for sports cars. My desire is to go back to a more basic sports car. Lighter, simpler and smaller. When I drove the Historic Targa in Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina I loved it's ability to pass at will but not it's size in the twisty mountains. Nimbleness is very important and when I drove Dino Competizione and Jesse's 208 GTB Turbo there I enjoyed the twisty roads more and actually think I was faster.

The difference between P1/F70/918 aero wise intrigues me. P1 wing and DRS vs F70's active aero and rear spoiler. (Remember a wing is a surface where air flows on both sides of the surface unlike a spoiler where it acts on one. F70 may have flaps that are semi wing like but P1 and 918 have WINGS) What we're trying to develop is a design where the wings are incorporated into the beautiful shape of the entire car. Think of Dino Competizione with front, roof (Dino Competizione does not have a roof wing) and rear wing integrated smoothly into the body and I mean wings that air flows under and over.

This one will be wild...

22. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Needs a windshield, no?? :)

What I love about PF is they hate to be boring. Good approach!

I believe that the mclaren/tesla approach to reduce much of the UI to software is fundamentally correct as a design approach. Change sw and you can tune/retune/feature enhance as needed. Even sell tuning development kits especially if standard component interfaces can be used. Obtain second sourcing of screens, cameras, lighting that help the design and operations supply chain. Agera looks like they do similar things with an impressive in house capability...

SV

23. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Outboard wings like an F1 design? Or active surfaces like pagani?

Sv

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Neither. Surface shapes that air flows over and under with controllable airflow stall/DRS without movable panels to reduce weight and complexity.

25. rovingardener

rovingardener Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    If you texture a surface in certain ways it makes the air less likely to dissipate off the surface and more likely to follow contours, within reason of course.