Arizona Auction Results | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Arizona Auction Results

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by billnoon, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    WOW!!!!

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    How unexpected is this result?

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Almost $300k for a Dino GT......

After looking at pics of this car (not seeing this car inb person), this seems like a price that would be for a near perfect car. This car isn't that. There have been VERY few GT's on the market for the last several years in the US.

Is this result a reflection of the lack of GT's or something specific to the car?

We all hear that GT's bring more in Europe than GTS's do, but I can't figure how this factors in with the Euro spec GT only going for $181k with premiuim.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Interesting....and sad... Are there any articles we can read about this, or is it one of those "everyone knows" rumors?

5. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    I personally think Boanos are undervalued. They are mechanically the same car as a TDF. They may not have the racing history or style of a TDF but are a great 250 Ferrari. There are some people that believe if it is not a 250 it is not a real Ferrari. I think Boanos have a great future so I am not surprised at the auction results.

6. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Based on the valuations we've witnessed, if there were any up for sale, what would a high quality driver or a newly properly restored GTE or a PF Coupe go for at either RM or Gooding in AZ this weekend? With the amazing results on cars like the the Dino or the vintage V12 Fcars, I am very very confused these days!

Geno

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    That's insane. The car was a nice driver, but was not restored. The catalogue description was totally inaccurate, saying that we restored the car in 2008. We rebuilt the motor and suspension in 1985, 28 years ago. This was a $200-300K car a couple of years ago.

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^was that 330 gtc the pininfarina special? Or a standard 330 gtc?
    Ed

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I see the Daytona at Barrett Jackson sold for $495,000 including commission. Was this a better car than the RM or Bonhams examples?

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Standard practice to bid something up to one bid shy of the reserve. To met the reserve, there needs to be a real bidder.

11. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    The online catalog description doesn't mention that it was factory restored only saying "Recent Mechanical Freshening by Wayne Obry" or that it is Classiche certified. Wonder if the printed version says that? For that price it must be a 100 point car.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #137 miurasv, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    The car I was referring to was not the car at Gooding, Arizona but the second car that nyc referred to in post 124, which has a different colour interior. It says it was factory restored in Simon Furlonger's Migliore description as posted by nyc. "This Italian supplied 330 GT 2+2 has just had a full restoration at the Ferrari factory complete with a Clasiche certification. It is in perfect condition and would complement any collection."

Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 For Sale | SF Migliore

This is the car at Gooding, Arizona: 1966 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 | Gooding and Company

13. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    No matter where the cars are going, these spectacular US auction results bear no relation to current European prices....... I feel uneasy as to where this is all heading....

14. outofpocket

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    #139 outofpocket, Jan 20, 2013
    I believe these are two different cars.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, they are 2 different cars which is quite clear in nyc's post which I quoted.

16. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    And in which league would be 722SLR MB the MM winner, and the Bugatti Royale coupe Napoleon, and the Parthenon ( They did ont even manage to sell it while they need money..) and what about sale and lease back of the White House to resolve the fiscal cliff?).

Answer is when somerhing has not been sold and bought, we all may have a view on value, but there is no real market price.

17. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Completely agree with you! Well said. Untill something has been bought and sold and there is a clear record for it- everything else is just speculation!

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    A massive difference between $267,000,000 US and more than a Billion US Dollars too.

19. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I think we are all surprised at the results in Arizona.

But, having been involved in rare coins for 50 years now, it is not that out of line with what is happening with other collector items today. No one NEEDS a Ferrari or a rare coin---but there are so many out there with lots of money & nothing to do with it. Bank interest is nearly zero--so people are saying "I always wanted this or that--so I am just going to buy it." We all thought the $500K for the 330 GTC at Pebble was out of line--how about now.

We will see a plateau in the near future--and some type of a drop. But, I think the days of a $250 GTC are over for quite a while now. Unless there is a reason for people to have lots of money in the bank, there seems no good reason for a massive drop.

I am seeing coins that I have sold 10 years ago now selling for multiples of what I considered was a great selling price. Same can be said for many other collectibles out there.

Today, I think a base price on a GTC has to be in the $400 to $500 range & up from there depending on quality. Anyone want to sell one for $300?????

Ken Goldman

20. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    I was told this was the barn find car from 2011 (was found with the low mile Dino and Bora). It is a 9xxx mile car with an excellent original interior. It was repainted in the last year and really is a stunning car. I looked it over at BJ on Friday. The one minor flaw I saw was that someone had tightened a screw on the passenger side headlight lens cover too tightly and cracked it. But looked to be a really nice car. That being said, while I am a former Daytona owner, I am not a concours judge nor a mechanic. I did not see the condition of the engine and do not know what mechanical work has been done since it came out of storage. I'm sure someone here knows.

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This is fully disclosed. If a car has a reserve the house can bid up to the reserve. The house can not push the bid past that point without the intent to buy the car and they don't. The house want's sales to happen. If a car doesn't reach the reserve the house will "NS" the lot and work with the seller and buyer to try to make a sale happen after the auction. Sometimes a post auction sale occurs sometimes it doesn't but phony bidding to raise the price except as disclosed is a crime and I don't feel any of the reputable auctions houses such as these do it.

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #147 miurasv, Jan 20, 2013
    If as you say it is legal for the house to bid up to the reserve it's still deceiving in my book.

23. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Some years ago Kidston estimated the value of the 300SLR "722" to Euro 40m! Today I would say something up to Euro 50m!
    Bugatti Royal is clearly much less espensive. The other icon is the SLR 300 "Uhlenhaut"-coupe. This car -IMO- comes close to the "722".

24. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Standard GTC, and while it was very nice it was not 100 pt car in my opinion.

Cheers Jim

25. outofpocket

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Maybe quite clear to you........but your post does not say which car to you were referring to, which caused my confusion. I though the discussion was about auction results. :)