1988 the pope in a Mondial 3.2 cab | FerrariChat

1988 the pope in a Mondial 3.2 cab

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dimibo, Dec 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dimibo

dimibo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    the Netherlands, EU
    Full Name:
    Dion Bosch
    I am looking for more info about the particular Mondial (red) that was used by the Pope in 1988 during his visit to the Ferrari factory.
    There is a 3.2 cab for sale in The Netherlands with papers saying it was that car.
    If I look carefully the interior is cream, if I look on pictures from 1988 the interior looks more "tan" to me. Anyone has more pictures ? A book maybe where we check in detail. Perhaps a chassisno. ?
    Thanks for your help.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. dimibo

dimibo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    the Netherlands, EU
    Full Name:
    Dion Bosch
    #3 dimibo, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you, BUT...I know that OSENAT aution sold it to MILANO (Netherlands) where the car is for sale now and the papers say that #77848 is that POPE car...
    If you look at the images from 1988 the interior colour looks more "tan-brown" to me than cream...is it because of photo quality those days or is there another "REAL pope 1988" car ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Dec 5, 2012
    I can tell you that it depends on lighting. Sometimes, in photos the interior looks creme, most of the time looks tan.

Also my 88 is out of the running for the original Pope Mobile as I do not have the Euro yellow fog lights. The car you posted seems to be very similar but someone has added a Scuderia shield to the wing.

Cheers.

5. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Looks like his holiness was holding the windshield with his right hand, recommend we dust for fingerprints to get to the bottom of this.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What would be the VATican on that?

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Dec 5, 2012
    The prints came back as inconclusive as there seems to be a halo...:) Seriously, I remember reading somewhere that Ferrari lost track of which car and where the car went as Piero at the time just pulled a Mondial on the lot as Pope John Paul wanted a ride around the factory. Unfortunately Enzo was too sick to be there, he died a few months after this in 1988.

Incaico and paulchua like this.
  8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I think it would be easier to find the Birkenstock imprints in the seat of which he stood.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, Dec 5, 2012
    If this is the one, Sold on January 6, 2012 for (price $36.658 - 44.513 USD)

Indeed, the World served to Jean Paul II( pope) during his visit to Ferrari factory in 1988 before being delivered to the Ferrari dealership in Monaco.
    A letter sent to Charles Pozzi describes the visit: "On Saturday, June 4, 1988, a miraculous event occurred at Fiorano, the doors of the headquarters of Ferrari were opened for a very special guest, our Holy Father, the Pope Jean Paul II.
    The visit, organized thanks to the excellent relations between the stable master Marco Picinini, and the Vatican ended with a blessing after Pope Jean Paul II took place aboard the World 8 No. 77848, by performing a lap of honor.
    Earlier, the Pope agreed to talk to Enzo Ferrari himself, who was absent for health reasons. (Enzo Ferrari will die 2 months later).
    This event will be remembered of those present as to finalize the presence of a Holy Man in these places. "

This famous car certified totals 31 700 km. It comes with its references, its books to date maintenance Ferrari, its original tool kit.
    The "great review" was conducted in 2009 and 26000 km: Replacement belts, replacement of the coolant and the thermal contact, drain engine oil, gearbox and differential, replacement of brake fluid, spark plugs, coils, filters, bellows gimbal, injectors, replacement of all the gas struts, tires, ...
    In addition to being in perfect presentation and working, this car is rare (604 copies in this configuration) and especially history!

http://www.classicdriver.com/us/find/4100_results.asp?lCarID=1845281

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    An article by Piero Ferrari:
    Pope John Paul II's visit to Emilia Romagna, the region where Ferrari is based, was part of the pontiff's official engagements during 1988.
    My father, Enzo Ferrari, was Honorary Chairman of Ferrari S.p.A., and was managing the Ferrari F1 Team at the time, and I was the Team Principal of the Ferrari F1 Team.
    My father and I spoke to the then Archbishop of Modena, Monsignor Santo Quadri and made the Fiorano track available, so that the Pope could celebrate a mass there in front of many thousands of people from Maranello and other towns nearby.
    The offer was welcomed by the Vatican, and from then it all happened very quickly. A special altar was set up on the roof of the F1 pits, so that the Pope could celebrate the mass in front of all the people present.
    Security wasn't an issue, as Fiorano was, and still is, a very safe place; easy to keep under control. A display of the F1 cars and the road cars was set up, just in front of my father's office at Fiorano.
    When the late Pope landed at Fiorano in his helicopter, I was on hand to meet him - my father was a bit feverish that morning, so he couldn't be there. The traditional white, open-top 'Popemobile' was ready to take the Pope on a tour of Fiorano so that he could greet the several thousands of people present.
    'When he saw the display of Ferraris, John Paul II asked if there was one free for him to go out in'
    But, on seeing the display of Ferrari road cars, he asked if there was one available to take him to greet the public, so I asked one of our road testers to bring a Ferrari Mondial Spider over and I drove the Pope around instead (at very low speed!), while he was waving and blessing the crowds.
    It was definitely a very emotional moment, and I felt incredibly honoured. After celebrating the mass and greeting the crowds, Pope John Paul II insisted on personally ringing my father to wish him to get well soon, so we took him to my father's office and he called him from there.
    Afterwards, he was presented with some special gifts: a Ferrari watch, a carbon fibre briefcase and a communion set in titanium, especially made for him by the Ferrari F1 team. We were all extremely proud, because this kind of thing doesn't happen every day - it was amazing to have the Pope visit us 'at home'.
    Everyone from drivers Gerhard Berger and Michele Alboreto, to the mechanics and technicians were extremely touched by the Pope's kindness: he had a smile for everyone.
    by Piero Ferrari: We don't know what car Jesus would drive, but when the Pope visited Ferrari he chose a Mondial Spider, says Piero Ferrari

pilotoCS and Almar Gouweloos like this.
  10. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Awesome!

"WWJD---what would Jesus drive?" Ferrari

11. bartg

bartg Rookie

Mar 5, 2013
    I bought the pope's Mondial in Holland in january, the one that was sold in the auction in France in 2012. Nice car, no bible found thus far... it cost me 30.000 euro.

Bart van Geleuken

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Welcome to FerrariChat Bart... very cool first post!

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Just to keep track on the Mondial:

paulchua and Wade like this.
  14. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Nice story... The car was indeed on display at the Zoute Concours last weekend. I've seen it a few years ago at the Concours at Het Loo Palace in the Netherlands. I've always wanted to ask the present owner for some kind of documentation. The whole story really amuses me. Unfortunately, i've never seen him at the car.

First, i'm NOT a sort of Mr. Massini but let's just say i've read my fair bit on the subject of Ferrari the last 35 years or so... I can remember a story on the late Franco Gozzi in which he was asked about this event, the Pope visiting Ferrari. He told there the car they took was "the first suitable / available car in line" and they never filed records which 3.2 Mondial was used. It happened very spontaneous and quickly so a car was rushed down to drive the Pope around.

Many years later this 'supposed to be Pope car' shows up in an auction. If the present owner reads this PLEASE share some official documents by Ferrari stating this chassis was indeed the Pope 3.2 Cabriolet used during the event. I would find them highly interesting.

Almar Gouweloos likes this.
  15. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    paulchua likes this.
  16. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  17. Deemeyere Wim

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    How much is he asking for it?

19. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Very wet indeed. We were blessed with holy water... ;)

Don't know if the car is currently offered for sale.

Also, why does the licenceplate has an extra 1 added? Was the car exported and imported again at some point? Papers lost? The extra 1 means new plates/papers were issued by RDW.

20. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Very cool bit of history.

Sitting here reading this story, I can't help humming... "I always feel like... somebody's watchin' me..." ;)

[​IMG]

"Howdy... Just checkin' on muh car..." :cool:

[​IMG]

"Now you see me..." o_O

[​IMG]

"Now you don't... I are invisible!" :eek:

:)

[​IMG]

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It's carrying Dutch plates for more then 4years already -> 02-04-2015. Much can happen in that time :) I lost one of my plates to 2years ago and have an additional "1" on one of my plates. Pity thing is for this car.. is the registration of the car. The vehicle office (RDW) has put the wrong model on the papers. It is registered as a Mondial 8.

22. Deemeyere Wim

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
    Op de achterzijde is het steigerend paard toegevoegd.

23. Almar Gouweloos

Jan 15, 2021
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Almar Gouweloos
    Dear Ferrari lovers,

This Ferrari Mondial Pope mobile #Chassnr77848 is in my private Car collection,and is used on 4 June 1988 as Pope Mobile during a visit of Pope John Paul II to the Ferrari factory .

There was a tour of honor.
    Piero Ferrari was behind the steering wheel and the Pope blessed the people out of this Ferrari Mondial .

Enzo Ferrari was still alive but very ill The Pope visit was a great honor to Enzo Ferrari and the Ferrari Factory .
    The New York Time ‘s one’s road : In Italy you have the Pope and then Enzo Ferrari .

The spirit of that special moment come’s all together in this Ferrari Mondial #chassnr77848
    Therefore this Ferrari Mondial will by always remember as the #HolyFerrari

The Ferrari Mondial used as Pope mobile #Chassnr77848 i bought it at auction house Osenat in France in 2012.

On 20th October 2020 my family where invited by Ferrari museum.
    We had a very worm welcome by Dennis de Munck (Head of employer branding University of Ferrari) and Michelle Pignatti Morano (Museum Director Head of new business ) to visit the Ferrari museum.(see picture )
    The day after our visit, we get a message from Dennis de Munck.

Ps just accidentally seen Piero Ferrari and talked. In June 1988, a white Popemobile (Toyota) was waiting in Maranello. The Pope himself asked if there was not a Ferrari version convertible available..... and one of our test drivers then arrived with the / with your Mondial Cabriolet. ;)) beautiful story, shared from Piero himself!

The Ferrari museum is thinking of a exhibition of this #Holyferrari Ferrari Mondial chassnr #77848 in the near future.
    I hope this dream wil come true ❤️

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jeka and paulchua like this.
  24. Almar Gouweloos

Jan 15, 2021
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Almar Gouweloos