What exactly is this one? (TDF..) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What exactly is this one? (TDF..)

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by amenasce, Nov 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Nothing really changes the fact that it is a fake. A fake with many incorrect features at that - and with a funny story which nobody in their right mind will buy without proof - and even then it would make very little difference. The car is what it is. Best wishes, Kare

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "....original"...."with a different chassis and engine"....."

;-) I'm confused.......

3. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    A wonderful tautology.

An original GTO with an unoriginal chassis and engine

Priceless sales speak

4. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I agree but you have to smile at the salesman's cheek !!!

"An original GTO with a different chassis an engine"

Unbelievable

Kim

5. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
  6. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #31 Enigma Racing, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  7. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Take this 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO Replica by Allegretti for example. Back in the 1970′s a German Ferrari collector discovered three Scaglietti Series I GTO bodies at the renowned Ferrari coachbuilders Allegretti. The bodies were produced to quickly replace damaged bodies of original 250 GTO’s used in races. One of these Scaglietti spare bodies was used to build a 250 GTO, chassis number 5815GT."

"Essentially, this car is an original Ferrari 250 GTO with a different chassis and engine. With the original Series 1 250 GTO’s being the most coveted collectors car of modern times, this replica is very special indeed."

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/01/17/for-sale-1964-ferrari-250-gto-replica-by-allegretti/[/QUOTE]

Kim. Do you honestly believe this ? 3 spare bodies represents almost 10% of GTO production. I dont have chassis numbers to hand but I can think of only 2 GTO's that suffered major accidents and may have needed complete new bodywork and this was in period. In the 1970's GTO's were famous old race cars and didn't hold the huge interest or speculation of the past two decades.

How can any car be essentially original if it has a new chassis and engine ?

On a different note, post some photos of your car. Everyone knows I am anal about originality but your car completely changed my perception of recreations. It looks glorious and we both know its nut and bolt correct. I thought you told me it was built from a Boano chassis but that or a PF makes no difference. We sometimes forget the enjoyment factor of owning a car and I'm sure you would never have had so much fun from a PF as you have had from your 'TDF'. The essential point is that correct records must always be noted so as not to confuse future generations. My concern is the number of recreations that abound today.....not just TDF's. I fear that 'real' cars will suffer the same fate as Rolex watches or D Type Jaguars.......one immediately thinks its replica until its proven otherwise.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Simply disgusting stretching of the truth ... as you say, unbelievable.
    Pete

9. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim

Paul. I cannot believe anyone would be taken in by such a ridiculous story of original bodies lying on shelves for some kind of GTO kwik fit service. Let alone claiming a car is original without a pukka chassis or engine. Silly claims for silly people in my book.

What I can accept is that there are many original bits on the shelves of restorers after work has been done that are often re-used. After all, a mutual friend put the original GTO nose he had on the shelf back on the original car and his workshop is a veritable Aladdin's cave of Ferrari bits.

Otherwise, thank you for the endorsement on the TDF. I tend to keep it below the radar after the mauling I got from chatters a couple of years ago. I love this website but the inevitable descent into lectures on fakes is very boring.

Kim

10. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Hi Kim..Obviously missed your meaning......Thougt you actually believed it !!!!

Nobody could have given you more of a mauling on your car than I did when you bought it....selling a lovely Lusso and buying a kit car.......Thought you were crazy...... Until I saw it and then had 0773GT in storage and realised that your car probably has more original parts on it than that. To put into perspective.....I am still not sold on recreations but I dont have close to GBP 4 million for a genuine 250 SWB and if a perfect recreation came my way would I be tempted to keep it ? You bet !

11. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    LOL....Kit car ?......You B***h !!!

I loved my Lusso and I still think it is the prettiest car Ferrari made. I just got fed up being a polisher and wanted a Ferrari I could race as well as drive.

The grids have got very very boring. Who wants to watch loads of replica RS's and XKE's that beat everyone ?. The organisers try to get a variety but the sad fact is that there are not many Ferraris out there.

I suppose I could have got a pre 66 road car and prep'd it for racing but what choice do I have without spending silly money ???

Kim

12. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    That was my thought then........Not now, so calm down...

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Kim, could you post pics of your TDF? Thanks !

14. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    If you dont post ........I WILL !!!!!!

15. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #40 Enigma Racing, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Beautiful!

17. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Cant possibly be your car.......It looks like a perfect TDF.......lol

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What is the story of that TDF?

19. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #44 Enigma Racing, Dec 11, 2012
    Not yet perfect and always things to do

Need to stiffen the roll bar for instance ???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    #45 davidgoerndt, Dec 13, 2012
  21. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you. Always been a fan of silver but not the polished vents and Borranis

22. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
  23. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    "LAST 14-louver 250 GT Berlinetta Competizione built. Never damaged, never raced, and potentially, as a no-mileage, literally new 1958 Scaglietti-bodied 250 GT Tour de France, this will be an enviable asset and must-have vehicle for any Ferrari collector"

????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    0885GT. You can tell it's a fake a mile away.

25. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    so whats the right price for it?