Yay! - 3 hours of ownership, first major issue.... | FerrariChat

Yay! - 3 hours of ownership, first major issue....

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Darkcat, Nov 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    Hi all - just picked up my mondial from London, drove back up to Derby - faultless.

parked at Tesco, got some beer.

started up, put it into reverse and it went backwards, i had left the hand brake on, so out of gear, brake off, back into reverse, and it would only go FORWARDS.

now, reverse is 2nd, 1st is 3rd, 2nd = 4th and 3rd = 5th.

so everything has slipped left by one.....

wtf??!!

its annoying because now i cant put it in the garage!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sorry, never heard of that, but someone will be along to help soon.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Don't panic. The angular timing of the shift linkage is off. It's correctable without a lot of cost.

4. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    gear linkage needs readjusting/tightening. OR, it's the "don't drink and drive" sensor malfunctioned because of the beer

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Likely the selector linkage has come loose and moved. You need to get underneath and adjust it/tighten it back up...

7. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    Thanks guys - I assumed that it was something like that - i was struggling to get into 3rd a bit earlier too.
    I'll get under it in the morning -luckily i managed to get it round the back of the house without needing to reverse (JUST)

Questions:
    Where are the jacking points?

Am i supposed to be looking gear-stick end, or gearbox end?

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  9. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    Wade! Thats possibly the best link ive ever received!
    I owe you a virtual pint :)

I have been given an original Ferrari electrical diagram book with the car, im sure you have one, but if not, i'll scan it for you :)

10. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    Excellent - found it on page 171/172 :)

will report back tomorrow!

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Excellent! If you scan the electrical diagram book please send it to Bart at the Ferrari Database. His email address is linked within...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    sod, sod and crap.

everything SEEMS to line up now.
    Now I have no first or reverse at all! (no resistance at first or reverse)

Is it at all possible that the gearbox is shafted?

13. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    #13 rustybits, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    Pete, percevere with it a bit longer, they can be really fiddly. If you put a mark with a paint pen or something on it, you will have a reference point. It's also easier if you get someone to sit in the car trying the gears while you make the adjustments....

Oh, and check all your engine mounts are tight/ok, as if the engines shifted in the frame you can have this issue too....

14. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright

I THINK i have figured this out - the rubber bushing in the end of the selecter input shaft has completely disintegrated... there is actually no rubber in there at all!!
    luckily i have a few spare poly bushes that i over-ordered for another project, so i'll carefully whittle something to fit...

Results to follow!

15. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
  16. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    #16 Darkcat, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    Didnt fix it...

EDIT
    got it.
    wow those gears are VERY hard to find!!!

17. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hello! Welcome to my world. I'm not technical and I don't turn wrenches. I've had similar shifting issues since for the 3 years I've owned my car. I know when I got it and drove it a bit, it seemed fine. Got it back after the winter and a full major, shifting is off. Same as yours, it would find space at first/reverse and not be in gear. Shipped it back. They checked it, found nothing, shipped it back. Same thing, but now 4th/5th are hard to find. Shipped back. They checked motor mounts and everything. Came back again still messed up after the owner claimed he drove it onto the transport truck himself and it was fine. I lived with it and considered it a bit of a safety mechanism so it can't be stolen. Three years later, I'm dealing with the local Ferrari dealership now, and as I'm accustomed to, I mention it to them as a 'by the way..' so they would know about it when they got in, and he laughed when I told him what I had been told. He said it's only an adjustment. They had a hard time getting it right, and it's as good as it's been right now, but not perfect. If not careful, I still can miss on the 4th/5th. I have some Ferrari owning friends that we've been wanting to swich cars and I've been afraid to let someone drive mine with this issue. Here's the bad news now. I've been told by the extremely knowledgable service manager at the my local Ferrari dealership that the only way to get to the bottom and find out why it moves around after it's been adjusted is to remove the sump. That's my next step, maybe this off-season while they have the car for other things. They adjusted it 4 times for me at no charge, but told me the last time that he's not going to simply adjust it again. He doesn't want to constantly fix something without knowing why it won't stay fixed.

Let me know how yours goes and I'll keep you informed on how mine goes. I know this wasn't a solution, but maybe it helped a bit.

Regards,
    Brian

18. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Pete, if you dont get it fixed then by all means try and make your way up here to Chesterfield, Bolsover to be correct and I will have a look at it for you.

Nino.

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Motor and trans-axle mounts that are sagging will cause misalignment of the shift linkage, and binding when shifting at high rpm. The whole engine and trans-axle assembly can torque to one side and bind the travel of the shaft and you can confuse the pathway of the forks. This happened to me on a carb 308, when driven hard. Fixed it with all poly bushing in the motor and trans mounts. Also make sure the shift shaft seal is good, or it will leak, and can contribute to binding issues if parts of it get caught in the moving bits.

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Wonderfully generous offer Nino.

21. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    Thanks guys - Nino - thanks, i may take you up on that at some point!
    brian - wow you have suffered! i'll keep updating this with progress.

I have just had a chat with Shiltec in Loughborough, very helpful.
    Apparently the selector fingers on the shifter shaft are held on by "pinch bolts" which can come loose and allow the fingers to slip around a bit, causing the issue - this would explain why the input shaft isnt horizontal when in 2nd, which it should be according to the manual.

I'm told its a very simple procedure to remove the gearbox sump, and re-align / tighten.

the main outcome of the story is that nothing is broken, and it will cost a gasket to fix :)

22. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi Peter

While I've never met Nino, I bet he can get it right for you. His threads are great reads. You guys should try to attend the Mondipalooza next June. I know I speak for all when I say it would be awesome if someone from somewhere outside North America showed up.

I hope to have all things looked at this winter. I'm going to make my car the best it can possibly be. It's well on its way.

Regards,
    Brian